Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry, I'm confused. Is my black ringed Novak 17.5 legal for GT2 or no?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by minimusprime
wow... the airlines are loving tamiya after the date change on the av regional and the sir cancellation. Any explanation for this fred? i was just about to pull the trigger on a plane ticket to head up there for the race. Tamiya just keeps favoring the procrastinator in me.
THANK GOD I DID NOT SECURE ANY AIRLINE FLIGHTS YET FOR SIR!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarKing
At the nationals we are going to be more strict than we would at a regional event because of what is on the line. Yes, we had someone with magnets in their shorts trying to advnace the timing of their motor under the table. Because this was so blatant, we DQ'd him for the event.

Other situations may result in simply taking the motor that they took back to the pits, or taking the motor and DQing their run. We do reserve the right to DQ someone for the weekend if we feel the offense was great enough, but for some people, confiscating a suspect motor means they have nothing to run with anyways. Same can go for batteries that people try to tamper with.
Did you allow Com Drops or Motor Cleaner in pre and/or post tech?

Just curious what limits you had. I like the concept of a motor lock-down for the event. Too bad nobody, including Tamiya makes a tamper-proof motor.

Coop
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Seattle Indoor Raceway TCS event has been cancelled and will return in 2010. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Well, $&%@! Your apologies don't quite take care of my level of inconvenience, if you don't mind me saying so.

I bought a car specifically for this event. Not to mention a set of tickets, which will cost a couple hundred bucks to resolve, since there's no other reason for me to be heading up to Seattle.

First the change to Aliso, now this. What's going on out there?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister
THANK GOD I DID NOT SECURE ANY AIRLINE FLIGHTS YET FOR SIR!!!!
Originally Posted by minimusprime
wow... the airlines are loving tamiya after the date change on the av regional and the sir cancellation. Any explanation for this fred? i was just about to pull the trigger on a plane ticket to head up there for the race. Tamiya just keeps favoring the procrastinator in me.
So I guess after a short hiatus, whining is again fashionable.
I can understand people being bent about moving the race date for the Superbowl, however it sounds to me like there may be more serious reasons for the cancellation of SIR. I work in the auto industry in Detroit, and at the moment EVERYTHING is a day to day affair. So it would not shock me if either Tamiya or SIR had business issues that prevented them from holding the race. I hope that both are healthy and this is a temporary setback that does not affect the rest of the season/series.
I would take the posting of the motors part numbers to mean that if you dont own a motor that has one of those 2 part numbers then it is not legal.
As far as the tamperproof motors, you wouldnt need it if people would be content relying on outright driver skill and chassis setup to compete. Yes I am the proud owner of 2 RedDot 540J's , but I would gladly run an out of the package 540J if there was some sort of guarantee that everyone was
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Well, $&%@! Your apologies don't quite take care of my level of inconvenience, if you don't mind me saying so.

I bought a car specifically for this event. Not to mention a set of tickets, which will cost a couple hundred bucks to resolve, since there's no other reason for me to be heading up to Seattle.

Doc, above comments regarding whining not aimed at you, i'd be pissed too!
I guess we should be careful about how early we want the schedule in the future huh!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am still confused as to which Novak 17.5 Pro motor will be allowed. The one in the picture on the Tamiya website has the yellow ring, on the Novak site it has the black ring, and on the Tower site the 3417 pictured also has teh black ring.:conf used::conf used:
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just go any way the fish market is awesome and the clam chowder rocks. If you havent hit the space needle I "Highly" suggest it. Plus the local bars have the pull tabs remember those little things pull and win money. I used to live there years ago.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The SIR cancellation was not Tamiya's fault. Hopefully things will work for it's return for '10.
The '09 biz year as stated previously is tough on everyone hopefully the great facilities around the US can pull through. If you want your local TCS to survive think long and hard about supporting the facility on a weekly basis not just for TCS.....
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Difuser
The SIR cancellation was not Tamiya's fault. Hopefully things will work for it's return for '10.
The '09 biz year as stated previously is tough on everyone hopefully the great facilities around the US can pull through. If you want your local TCS to survive think long and hard about supporting the facility on a weekly basis not just for TCS.....
Well put Dan, hope things aren't too far gone, I would like to make it up there to run one of these years. There were alot of people that thought that the problems here in Detroit were just Detroit problems and just poor management, I would hope that those same people now realize that the problems reach much further than the Michigan border
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Doc,

Just be happy the rules and schedule were out early.

Sure it is a pain, you get an A+ for being prepared, unfortunately things happen. I know when I get my Nationals tickets, I wait for 1 month to 21 days. I never know what might happen. . .

I hope SIR can come around and pull through for 2010.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Whats up stranger?!!! You dont call, write....
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Gcooper - GT-2 Nats motor had minor changes after the first couple of qualifiers just to tighten things even more because of concerns. In the end it went like this...

You went to per-tech with your car. You were handed the motor and had to install in front of the inspectors. The motor could not go out of sight (under the table). You could only oil the bushings with oil supplied by Tamiya.

Post-tech: you had to remove your motor in front of tech inspectors and could only use motor spray and oil provided by Tamiya. Motor had to remain in sight the entire time.

For the Triple A mains, Tamiya dynoed motors and gave each of the ten competitiors a brand new motor. The motors were all within a couple of hundred RPM's.

Last years Aliso Regional - RPM limit on silver can's was 15,000 RPM @ 5.0 volts dynoed on Fred's personal dyno. Drivers were encouraged to test their motors prior to runing in case your motor dyno read differently. A certain GT-3 car did turn 17K + rpm and was DQ'ed. The driver was also lifting at the end of the straight to not be so noticeable yanking everyone on the straight. It was so obvious that even Fred noticed it while announcing the race. With the creative motor "advancing" some people are doing, it's easy to get a silver can spinning that high. For the record, the TQ and winner of GT-3 that race had his motor teched and it was just over 11K rpm at 5.0 volts. I qualified second and volunteered to have my motor teched and it was also just over 11K. The only thing I hope they do different this year is DQ a motor if it is over the limit period, and not let a person talk their way into "letting the motor cool down" and then re-dynoing so it dropped down under 15K and they got to keep thier A1 GT-3 finish.

SIR Gang - we hope things get better and look forwaard to coming up in 2010 to race with you guys again !
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Hey MD, trying to keep a construction suply biz in the black in this economy....Need I say more?

Alot of other changes going on too. RC has taken a big back seat for awhile now. You still got my number? give me a call
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

it was fun fun running with everyone out at TAMIYA practice yesterday..

Those F1's look like tons of fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.