Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gcooper
One question I had, maybe a little early or late depending on who is looking at it. For the Tamiya Nationals mabuchi hand-out motor. It has been my understanding that Tamiya impounded the motors and tech had to watch you put it in. The only options you had was oiling the bushings, mounting fans and motor heatsink (I don't think you could use com drops???).

Post race after you marshalled you had to remove the motor in front of tech and return it to tech. At this point could you spray the motor out with motor spray to clean it out? What were the consequences of taking your car with motor still in it back to the pits? Did you lose that qualifying heat results or get banned from the event?

It seems there could be a novel written about rules at these events. What has been Tamiya's position on rule breakers being it is not listed on the website? Seems like it could be a pretty broad understanding. . .

I as these questions because a friend of mine wants to organize a charity race, he wants to keep it fun, affordable and fair. He wants to outline the rules so that people want to know the consequences. He is in the formulation stages and is looking at different angles of doing it including some cost controlled classes for leveling the playing field.

Thanks in advance....

Coop
At the nationals we are going to be more strict than we would at a regional event because of what is on the line. Yes, we had someone with magnets in their shorts trying to advnace the timing of their motor under the table. Because this was so blatant, we DQ'd him for the event.

Other situations may result in simply taking the motor that they took back to the pits, or taking the motor and DQing their run. We do reserve the right to DQ someone for the weekend if we feel the offense was great enough, but for some people, confiscating a suspect motor means they have nothing to run with anyways. Same can go for batteries that people try to tamper with.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
There are a few guys running them locally for practice and you are right, they are much faster. Illegal for TCS and very easy to spot. The brush configuration and end bells are different.
Yes, but the ones I see aren't the Traxxas motors. Will try to get a closer look, if I can, but these motors are significantly faster than the two kit motors that I had with me. I was able to lap high 12's with someone else's F1 and that motor in it (barely running hard since it wasn't my car), but only mid 14's with mine at full gallup. Setup/feel of the car was very similar.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
magnet pants was DQ'ed... he packed up and went home.

LMAO I guess he was really "Stuck" on the idea of winning ! Seems as if he became "Attatched" to this hobby.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BobbyS
Yes, but the ones I see aren't the Traxxas motors. Will try to get a closer look, if I can, but these motors are significantly faster than the two kit motors that I had with me. I was able to lap high 12's with someone else's F1 and that motor in it (barely running hard since it wasn't my car), but only mid 14's with mine at full gallup. Setup/feel of the car was very similar.
Yes, keep us posted. I'm very curious. There just aren't any STOCK Johnson silver cans that are that fast. There are motor wizards out there who can make an out of the box silver can perform like that, but that opens the question of what's stock. AND, I'm not going anywhere near that question.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
LMAO I guess he was really "Stuck" on the idea of winning ! Seems as if he became "Attatched" to this hobby.
Aren't you being a little "polarized"
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
easy there Magneto...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-magneto011024io9.jpg  
Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarKing
At the nationals we are going to be more strict than we would at a regional event because of what is on the line. Yes, we had someone with magnets in their shorts trying to advnace the timing of their motor under the table. Because this was so blatant, we DQ'd him for the event.

Other situations may result in simply taking the motor that they took back to the pits, or taking the motor and DQing their run. We do reserve the right to DQ someone for the weekend if we feel the offense was great enough, but for some people, confiscating a suspect motor means they have nothing to run with anyways. Same can go for batteries that people try to tamper with.
By the way Tamiya does DQ from Regional events also. I was DQ'ed from one of my qualies last year at the AV Regional TCS race when it was determined that my little Silver Can Devil was spinning @ 17,300 RPM @ 5 volts??
Just ask Devon White, he still scratching his head on how that came about?
He could not find any thing illegal with the motor except it was turning 17,300RPM? I was still DQed from that heat and I was on a TQ run in GT3.
It is a shame that one has to be penalized for years of tinkering and RD within the given rules set forth. Oh well I now know how the F1 and Nascar guys feel! I hope Tamiya does not fine us $50,000 or higher or get to be invited into Fred's trailer?
I better tone down my motors for the 2009 season in GT3 and F1 because 19,000 RPM probably won't past the test?
SH.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

there's a simple solution for this.

tamiya specified hand out BL motors. Hopefully by the time nationals rolls around tamiya will have their own brand of BL motors then it's a simple solution.

tamiya 21.5's for mini, gt3 and f1
tamiya 17.5's for gt2
tamiya 13.5's for gt1

tag the cans and seal them with a wire system similar to the way they seal the engine blocks in stock motor racing.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hickmeister
By the way Tamiya does DQ from Regional events also. I was DQ'ed from one of my qualies last year at the AV Regional TCS race when it was determined that my little Silver Can Devil was spinning @ 17,300 RPM @ 5 volts??
Just ask Devon White, he still scratching his head on how that came about?
He could not find any thing illegal with the motor except it was turning 17,300RPM? I was still DQed from that heat and I was on a TQ run in GT3.
It is a shame that one has to be penalized for years of tinkering and RD within the given rules set forth.
SH.
We put an rpm limit in place at the AV Regional and announced what is was, told everyone motors would be checked if suspect, yours was checked, and was far over the about 12,500 - 13,000rpm (exact number escapes me) limit and you were DQ'd. Having a motor over the limit by about 4000rpm is NOT working within the rules set fourth which is why you were penalized. Just because nothing can been seen illegal doesn't mean it is not illegal.

We will be doing that again this year and if your motor is over the limit again, you will be DQ'd. Don't expect a 17,000rpm limit.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Sounds like the motor found its sweet spot at the wrong time.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
AWK
Tech Master

TCS UPDATE 1-9-08

1/8/09: The GT-2 motor rules have been updated to include part numbers of the LRP and Novak motors allowed and more specifics on motor tweaking limitations.
1/9/09: The Seattle Indoor Raceway TCS event has been cancelled and will return in 2010. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited by AWK; 01-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TCS UPDATE 1-9-08

1/8/09: The GT-2 motor rules have been updated to include part numbers of the LRP and Novak motors allowed and more specifics on motor tweaking limitations.
1/9/09: The Seattle Indoor Raceway TCS event has been cancelled and will return in 2010. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Wow thats odd being that SIR has been a big supporter of TCS. Troy your not out of the woods yet I still owe you a titty twister you might just have to come down here for it

Last edited by SirSwiftAlot; 01-09-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: who cares
Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

TCS UPDATE 1-9-08

wow... the airlines are loving tamiya after the date change on the av regional and the sir cancellation. Any explanation for this fred? i was just about to pull the trigger on a plane ticket to head up there for the race. Tamiya just keeps favoring the procrastinator in me.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

well i guess i have to spend even more money to qualify for nationals seeing that the sir round is not going to happen.so i guess it is off to trackside or freemont ca.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Why are the less expensive Novak brushless motors not allowed in GT2?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.