Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
They say: Forget this, I'm not running this class due to the requirement to buy a one race $80 motor. I'm already borrowing a black ring 17.5 to run the class since I cannot run my current 17.5. If yellow ring is required, I guess its GT3 for me since I only need to spend $20 to get a motor.

Jimmy
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As much as I am tired of hearing all the whining about this motor thing(cheese with the whine anyone?)
It would be nice for Andrew, Fred,Gary or someone from Tamiya to clarify the part#'s from each motor manufacturer so that there is no doubt what is legal and what is not.
I haven't bought a motor yet, but I am very close to doing so. I am leaning towards the LRP , but the Novak could work too.
One thing on the group shipping from Hong Kong, you will not save any money by getting alot shipped at once, most of those places ship EMS and it is all based on weight, I just tried to do it with D-driver and it ends up being around $10/lb to ship, that was from Japan, I don't know if Hong Kong is any cheaper
Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I havent' raced a tcs regional or final since 1999. Any one mind filling me in on the regional qualifying and main format so I know how many tires etc I will need.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
One thing on the group shipping from Hong Kong, you will not save any money by getting alot shipped at once, most of those places ship EMS and it is all based on weight, I just tried to do it with D-driver and it ends up being around $10/lb to ship, that was from Japan, I don't know if Hong Kong is any cheaper
Although purchasing from HK or JP is an option, Tamiya has said that the body kit would be in US stock before the TCS event and I was thinking of a bulk purchase/delivery from the US warehouse. In my ideal world, it would be mighty nice if a Tamiya employee would take a list of names and show up in AV some Saturday with a case of body kits to sell for cash. Wishful thinking aside, I wanted to see if an interest existed for a group purchase.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I just bought a bunch of the M Type body kits from Champ. They wound up being about $38 a body with shipping and fees included.
Originally Posted by 240Z
Although purchasing from HK or JP is an option, Tamiya has said that the body kit would be in US stock before the TCS event and I was thinking of a bulk purchase/delivery from the US warehouse. In my ideal world, it would be mighty nice if a Tamiya employee would take a list of names and show up in AV some Saturday with a case of body kits to sell for cash. Wishful thinking aside, I wanted to see if an interest existed for a group purchase.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Bobby S - only Tamiya 540 motors I have seen with black / red wires are black can which are not legal for GT-3, mini or F103 at the regionals. Are you sure you are talking about a silver can 540 ?
Yes, but the cans aren't black and aren't really a bright plated shiny, but have more of a dulled/satin sheen to them. The leads are also the same gauge as the green/yellow wires on the spec motors. Probably 2-3 secs a lap faster than the spec motor (i.e., 12 sec vs 14-15 sec.)

Last edited by BobbyS; 01-06-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LRP 17.5: 50850
Novak 17.5: 3417

There are ways to tech brushless motors. So if we suspect a motor has been tweaked, we reserve the right to pull it and tech it. If your motor is DQ'd, we take it for the event and may DQ you for the weekend.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 240Z
I hear ya, I was just putting to rest the misconception that the more you order the cheaper it is
Might be faster and cheaper to have the LHS backorder them , but that is a crapshoot in itself
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarKing

There are ways to tech brushless motors. So if we suspect a motor has been tweaked, we reserve the right to pull it and tech it. If your motor is DQ'd, we take it for the event and may DQ you for the weekend.
Cool, thank you very much
Now how about those F1 bodies? ( you didnt really think your day was done did you?)
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Cool, thank you very much
Now how about those F1 bodies? ( you didnt really think your day was done did you?)
I suppose not!
We still don't show anything it, but the warehouse is doing inventory as we speak, so after Jan. 12th, we will have a better idea. If they arrive between now and then, they will not be added to inventory until our inventory process is complete. Keep an eye on the website for the item 84024 which is the M-Type Bodyset.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope someone is placing preorders for the F1 Bodies,,,
Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
It would be good to add those numbers to the rules, makes your job easier.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

One question I had, maybe a little early or late depending on who is looking at it. For the Tamiya Nationals mabuchi hand-out motor. It has been my understanding that Tamiya impounded the motors and tech had to watch you put it in. The only options you had was oiling the bushings, mounting fans and motor heatsink (I don't think you could use com drops???).

Post race after you marshalled you had to remove the motor in front of tech and return it to tech. At this point could you spray the motor out with motor spray to clean it out? What were the consequences of taking your car with motor still in it back to the pits? Did you lose that qualifying heat results or get banned from the event?

It seems there could be a novel written about rules at these events. What has been Tamiya's position on rule breakers being it is not listed on the website? Seems like it could be a pretty broad understanding. . .

I as these questions because a friend of mine wants to organize a charity race, he wants to keep it fun, affordable and fair. He wants to outline the rules so that people want to know the consequences. He is in the formulation stages and is looking at different angles of doing it including some cost controlled classes for leveling the playing field.

Thanks in advance....

Coop
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gcooper
One question I had, maybe a little early or late depending on who is looking at it. For the Tamiya Nationals mabuchi hand-out motor. It has been my understanding that Tamiya impounded the motors and tech had to watch you put it in. The only options you had was oiling the bushings, mounting fans and motor heatsink (I don't think you could use com drops???).

Post race after you marshalled you had to remove the motor in front of tech and return it to tech. At this point could you spray the motor out with motor spray to clean it out? What were the consequences of taking your car with motor still in it back to the pits? Did you lose that qualifying heat results or get banned from the event?

It seems there could be a novel written about rules at these events. What has been Tamiya's position on rule breakers being it is not listed on the website? Seems like it could be a pretty broad understanding. . .

I as these questions because a friend of mine wants to organize a charity race, he wants to keep it fun, affordable and fair. He wants to outline the rules so that people want to know the consequences. He is in the formulation stages and is looking at different angles of doing it including some cost controlled classes for leveling the playing field.

Thanks in advance....

Coop
magnet pants was DQ'ed... he packed up and went home.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BobbyS
Yes, but the cans aren't black and aren't really a bright plated shiny, but have more of a dulled/satin sheen to them. The leads are also the same gauge as the green/yellow wires on the spec motors. Probably 2-3 secs a lap faster than the spec motor (i.e., 12 sec vs 14-15 sec.)
Traxxas markets a 20 turn motor that sort of looks like a silver can. I suspect the motor you're talking about may be one of these. There are no Tamiya - Johnson silver cans that are two to three seconds per lap faster than the #53689's that are spelled out as the spec motor.

There are a few guys running them locally for practice and you are right, they are much faster. Illegal for TCS and very easy to spot. The brush configuration and end bells are different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.