Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarKing
If you open it up to the TL01 again, people could argue why not a TA03 or TB01. Where does it end? It comes back to keeping things level for everyone and easy on us as well.

You also have to remember that while this is all for fun and in the spirit of racing, this is also a marketing tool for us. It doesn't make sense to market kits and parts that are hard to come by, or only sold second hand.
Although if you look at GT3 legal allowed chassis are:

TB-01, TB-02, TB-02R, TB-03, TA-04, TA-05, TA-05 IFS, TA-05R, TA-05 IFSR TL-01, TL-01 LA, TT-01, TT-01R, TT-01E, TA-02, TA-03, FF-01 and FF-02.

GT1 legal allowed chassis are:

TA, TB, TT, TL, EVO, 414, 415, and 416 series sedan chassis' (TA01, TA02, TA03, TA04, TA-05, TL01, TT-01, TT-01R, TT-01E, TB01, TB-02, TB-02R, TB-03, TB Evo 1,2,3,4,5 MS, FF01, FF02, 414M, 414MII & 415, 415MS, 415MSX, 415MSX MRE, 415MSXX, 416)

TL01 is listed along with TA02, TA03, etc. . .

Not trying to pick apart your rules but, in my area we have always defined spec as a novice type of racer. Usually they have older kits or hand-me downs that they have even got for free. When you limit it to only 1 chassis, why would they want to invest in a un-competitive chassis, that most tracks don't have a class for, for only 1 race. When you are not even sure this RC thing is what you want to do?

I had a neighbor who watched me run my car on my driveway. His son wanted a car like mine. I gave a lowball figure because I was new too and only had 1 car. He did not want to spend the money due to the fact he did not want to buy an expensive banjo that might just sit in the closet (pardon the anology).

I would think Spec, is where you need to set the fishing line and try to snag a big catch. If you only show up with one hook and no bait, good luck on landing a catch (pardon the anology).

You have hardcore guys who race the series, what about the little guy who might be interested but cannot afford it? Do you say go away, you have not the money to spend, we want people with money? Or do you say come in, experience the TCS series and hope you have a great time!

If you get rid of the cherry pickers in spec and open up the chassis to older types, you will see many new faces interested in giving it a try. If they have no money and like it, I am sure they will find the money and continue. I would even be tempted to pull out an older chassis so that someone could give it a try.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

This is a fun debate....

MiniMad makes a good point, how could you be cheating if the car was DEAD stock??? The others just couldn't drive or setup a car that's all there was too it.

Many people (including myself) never used attention to detail as experienced modelers tend to do, especially those that race R/C. A little detail especially when stock goes a long way.

I'm almost sure I will run GT-3 because TT-01 spec looks way too slow. That's not to say I would win or something but it just doesn't look like a challenge. All you have to do is qualify up front, most of the people from 3rd back will get caught in a first corner carnage.

I'll post with what I got pretty soon...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 on moving up the schedule for F1 body deliveries.

+1 for allowing any model Tamiya car in GT1 and GT3.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gcooper
I would think Spec, is where you need to set the fishing line and try to snag a big catch. If you only show up with one hook and no bait, good luck on landing a catch (pardon the anology).
+1
TL or TT, just let the kids play. The more the merrier.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Will the Lipo battery rules be updated? Am wanting to buy new (35C/40C) packs, but want to be able to use them for TCS racing too!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 240Z
+1
TL or TT, just let the kids play. The more the merrier.
Back to GC for a second, I think they should move TL-01 out of GT-3 and put it back in Spec, drop the Novice tag or drop the Spec tag. Open it up to older chassis (TA-03, TA-02, TL-01) and newer entry level chassis (TT-01). I mean

I have the access and the means to turn my box stock TL-01, besides Universals into a fully optioned out (No lightweight chassis ) TL-01 that ummm I guess they (Car King, others) are saying would be towards the rear of B Main with brilliant driving.

The only problem with that is -

Race Bucks finished mid pack in GT-3 B-Main with a near stock TT-01, how on earth is a fully optioned TL-01 not going to finish slightly better than that?

This is a dammed if I do, dammed if I don't scenario. Keeping the kit cost around $100 was ideal. But with the min hop ups are bearings, shocks, speed gears and aftermarket pinion would bump that up to $130-150 total. For that, I might as well get a TA-05 or TB-03 (or TB-02 which I have been offered a rolling chassis that isn't rolling - $90) for around $150 which all of you agree are better cars and come standard with all that you would add to a entry level car to make it competitive.

From a marketing standpoint I understand Tamiya taking the TL-01 out of the Novice spec class to force participation in Novice Spec by buying an entry level car and hope they are excited enough about the hobby/competition that they'll continue to invest into the car to improve it.

In the end, what would happen is the optioned out TT-01R or car with equal mods would be at the front of the field all day, everyday.

Where this falls apart if that a person would move up to GT-3 later in the season or next season and finds his TT-01 (The R is the better value here) is not competitive in GT-3 (and its not his driving) and the paddock tells him he should invest more money into the "sport" (its not a hobby anymore) by upgrading his car, possibly his radio system or even battery packs/cells read: $$$$.

I think I'll like the sport and I will find the money to spend on it. But there is a limit to how much I am willing to spend and it will never reach Prosumer level at least I don't think so, by then you have sponsors to off set some cost anyway...

But that's putting the cart before the horse...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BobbyS
Will the Lipo battery rules be updated? Am wanting to buy new (35C/40C) packs, but want to be able to use them for TCS racing too!
Just to ask, is Lipo a worthwhile investment and can I use maybe two packs, even ONE pack for at the least the start of the season? Given how often races are run, one car, one pack makes sense to me. Two packs max, if races are 5-8 mins, by the time I return to my pit table, I'm what, checking parts, checking settings or whatever while I have another pack ready or top off the Lipo.

But I have heard with a Silver Can, you don't even need to recharge between heats, performance will be equal.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Originally Posted by djfourmoney
Just to ask, is Lipo a worthwhile investment and can I use maybe two packs, even ONE pack for at the least the start of the season? Given how often races are run, one car, one pack makes sense to me. Two packs max, if races are 5-8 mins, by the time I return to my pit table, I'm what, checking parts, checking settings or whatever while I have another pack ready or top off the Lipo.

But I have heard with a Silver Can, you don't even need to recharge between heats, performance will be equal.

Any thoughts?
DJ,

One lipo is fine for racing...I race Gt2 and Gt1 with one lipo all day.

Dont waste your money on a spec car...buy a used TA-05 and race. If you dont want to spend money, try another hobby. This hobby is not cheap and sucess will not come , unless you get a competitive car .
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Too much bench racing, and Tamiya should do this and that.

After you go to a race, you will see the wisdom in the last few pages. These guys have all been where you are now.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Last edited by BobbyS; 12-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lbckevin
DJ,

One lipo is fine for racing...I race Gt2 and Gt1 with one lipo all day.

Dont waste your money on a spec car...buy a used TA-05 and race. If you dont want to spend money, try another hobby. This hobby is not cheap and sucess will not come , unless you get a competitive car .
Um thanks for the elitist attitude not shocking coming from somebody in Orange County, CA -

Before I go further, thank you for the tip on the Lipo.

Now I've am pretty much abandoned the idea of a Spec car and then upgrading it to be competitive.

A TB-02 or TB-03 is likely my target. I am used to going against the gain, otherwise I would drive a Honda, bash American cars, buy all my electronics from Sony, own an I-Mac and I-Pod. I am not a lemming, sticking with Tamiya in general is going against the gain.

That however doesn't mean I should drop $500 just to get my feet wet. If I find I need to spend more to be competitive that's fine, but let's find out if I need to spend more FIRST before just spending for the sake of burning up dollars.

That's all I'm trying to avoid.

Thank You
Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Um thanks for the elitist attitude not shocking coming from somebody in Orange County, CA -
F You.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

+1 for keeping the Spec/Novice class as simple as possible, and for the true beginners. Maybe put an age limit on it like 13 and under, and 14-17. For the adults, there's likely a GT3 A-Z main that would be more competitive and challenging.

Last edited by BobbyS; 12-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Before I go further, thank you for the tip on the Lipo.

Now I've am pretty much abandoned the idea of a Spec car and then upgrading it to be competitive.

A TB-02 or TB-03 is likely my target. I am used to going against the gain, otherwise I would drive a Honda, bash American cars, buy all my electronics from Sony, own an I-Mac and I-Pod. I am not a lemming, sticking with Tamiya in general is going against the gain.

That however doesn't mean I should drop $500 just to get my feet wet. If I find I need to spend more to be competitive that's fine, but let's find out if I need to spend more FIRST before just spending for the sake of burning up dollars.

That's all I'm trying to avoid.

Thank You
Dude, what is you malfunction?

The TCS comes to your area what, maybe 2 times a year. Just take what you have and go have fun. Do you think you will win your first race? Second? Third?

I guess that takes first of your first TCS season. (that is if you will ONLY run in a TCS event)

I suggest after my many years of racing and having done so with much enjoyment and success, Just go run what you have! Practice if you can and run fun races at local track weekly events.

Soon you will understand (or not) what we all have been trying to relay to you. It is not so much the destination, but the journey that brings us all back every week.

Run your TL01 and just enjoy. Reading your post, you sure sound like a novice R/C racer to me. You do have a great deal of knowledge. I detect a shortage in the ACTUAL EXPERIENCE area. Now it is time to get off the fence. It takes turning a few wheels and burning a few packs to gain that elusive experience we all have found OVER TIME.

Just bite the bullit that meets you current hopes, dreams, and budget. Go out and get your TL01 running and have fun. If you want to step up beyond, several folks here have given you their sound advise based on their experience.
Just remember, ALL the electronics is transferable so it is not a lost cost.

Just DO IT! then you will undersand.

BTW, The offer still stands on the TT-01E.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:42 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

djfourmoney - I agree with 414mph. Run your TL01 and learn about the TCS. You may not like it or you may think it's great. As someone said, you can buy a used TA05. If you're thinking of something better, checkout this site http://www.rocousa.com/tamiyasale.htm. They have a new TA05, model TA58350 for $115.00 plus shipping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.