Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
A question for the Tamiya folks:
What are the odds of getting some F1 bodies in stock before the regional? Any chance someone could special order a case?
There is going to be a lot of naked F103R's at the regionals if not.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

So...who's TQ for this round of bench racing?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Nova, Rich is always TQ

R
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

CarKing - i agree that the competitive spirit of the drivers push them to upgrade to something better. But, when Tamiya makes rules for the Novice class only allowing TT01's then you eliminates with TL01's or even other discontinued chassises. If it's true novice class then who cares what Tamiya chassis is being run. Get people involved. The TL01 is a great beginners car because of it's durability. The TT01 will not match up in durability with the TL01. Tamiya made the rules which restrict the motor systems for GT2 and GT1. In the case of GT2 Tamiya has also restricted the chassis. I think there will be a great increase in the size of the GT3 class. Or, some people will not race because they have no interest in racing GT3 and don't want to invest in a new system.

Cheating will go on in every class if the drivers are policed by Tamiya and the other drivers. I personally don't care if they don't give kits away for the "A" Main winners. I think it's great that Tamiya does. But, with the economy the way it is and the cost of travel. I think a box stock class would be popular. All you have to do is look at the success Traxxas Slash spec classes throughout the country. I think a box stock version of the Mini class would be successful. You can buy a M03M for around $100 and add a radio and you can race. It's a great value. You might get close to 100 mini drivers at a race.

I like the TCS and I have had a lot fun participating. I wold like to see more things to attract more people to a great series. I know there are certain people who don't want more low buck drivers in the TCS.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Roger that, we need some F1 lids man !
And how about if u run GT3 and over 12, If you make the A main you need to move up to GT2 .... and no sandbagging!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
CarKing - i agree that the competitive spirit of the drivers push them to upgrade to something better. But, when Tamiya makes rules for the Novice class only allowing TT01's then you eliminates with TL01's or even other discontinued chassises. If it's true novice class then who cares what Tamiya chassis is being run. Get people involved. The TL01 is a great beginners car because of it's durability. The TT01 will not match up in durability with the TL01.
The sad truth is while it is true that just to get people running, and it would be easier to open it up to other kits, we still want to make it a level playing field and there are times the TL01 has an advantage. Also, being disconitnued, it is tough to find parts for. We do not want to give people the wrong impression that a TL01 will be easy to run and work on when the reality is that if you break something, it might be VERY tough to get a replacement part. The last thing we want to have happen is someone breaks a part we that is discontinued, then it ends their race and season until they buy a new kit. If you open it up to the TL01 again, people could argue why not a TA03 or TB01. Where does it end? It comes back to keeping things level for everyone and easy on us as well.

You also have to remember that while this is all for fun and in the spirit of racing, this is also a marketing tool for us. It doesn't make sense to market kits and parts that are hard to come by, or only sold second hand.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

CarKing - Parts can be a problem. I think some Novice drivers would rather take a chance on parts and participate, rather than putting out money for a new car for a series they are unsure of. There are a lot of TL01's still out there. Getting more people involved I assume is a goal. May be not.

As far as marketing goes, I think word of mouth is one of the best if not the best way to market a product. In th 90's when every hobby store had Tamiya parts, people asked their friends what R/C cars they drove. The answer was often Tamiya. If you get a new driver involved in the TCS they will often go out and buy a better Tamiya car to participate at a more competitive level. When their friends ask them what car they bught and why, they may say a Tamiya car and to race in the TCS. But, if they don't get involved that can't happen. I have a lot of frienda who have Tamiya cars and would like to race in the TCS, but don't want to spend the money for the best car, a brushless sytem, or hop ups. There are some people who race in the TCS think that's just fine. If that's the way Tamiya wants it, that's fine. But, i think most TCS veterans started with an inexpensive car and upgraded. I hope the TCS goes well this year.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
AWK
Tech Master

While I think this could go one for a while, I will simply say agree to disagree.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

And how about supporting the F1 class by producing some Tamiya bodies? The more types the better, but make it soon please.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
AWK
Tech Master

We are waiting for them to get some to us. The M-Type will be sold in a body set form come about Feb. I wish we could make it sooner!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quick question, will an older (non yellow ring) Novak 17.5 be allowed in the GT2 class ? Per the rules it states a Spec LRP or Novak which I believe are the newer motors with color coded rings. Just trying to avoid a duplicate purchase if at all possible. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarKing
We are waiting for them to get some to us. The M-Type will be sold in a body set form come about Feb. I wish we could make it sooner!
I hope I am misunderstanding something here but are you saying the ONLY F1 body that will be released any time soon is the 84024 Type M and it will not be available 'till AFTER the AV TCS...... Any chance we can get a rule waver to run an after market body from D-Drive?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im gonna need a body for Trackside!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I can't stand it.....I gotta break my silence....

Most people on this thread are speaking from personal experience about the decision to run novice/spec or bump up to GT3. At my first TCS event, I was told the TL-01 spec class was just that, a SPEC class. Identical cars where set-up, handling, and driving skills would prevail. Sounds like fun! There were 9 of us from the same club racing there, and we made up all but 5 of the Spec class entries. It wasn't until the race that I realized that spec was really meant to be a novice class, and many of us felt bad to see the kids in the B-main at the end of the day. So after that ONE weekend, my TL-01 was no longer useful to me and was put on the shelf. I tried using it once against race-prepped sedans running stock motors, and it was not competitive with me behind the wheel. But your experience may vary.

Since that time, Tamiya has put a "novice" tag on the spec class rules, which opened up an entirely new debate on what that really means. At events like Trackside, adults are shunned regardless of their lack of experience racing sedans. To many of them, novice means "kids", or perhaps "little or no race experience". But at Memphis, the novice class is filled with guys with 10+ years of racing experience who continue to race in the novice class year after year without being asked to bump up. In their opinion, they can continue to race in novice until they win the A-main. So which is it? It's all up to the race director at that event, and what your gut tells you is right.

I have to agree with Car King......For the average-talent racer, technology is your friend. The latest kits typically will outperform the kits they replace. There's always an exception where someone either has extraordinary talent (Dave Jun) or simply prefers the balance of an older design (MPH414!), but it's not the norm. So most novices that have a TL-01 or TT-01 will find it very difficult to compete in GT3. Heck, I find it hard and I've got a TA-05 with all the trimmings! I prefer GT1 or GT2, where horsepower can help make up for poor driving.

Originally Posted by MD
I think a box stock class would be popular. All you have to do is look at the success Traxxas Slash spec classes throughout the country. I think a box stock version of the Mini class would be successful. You can buy a M03M for around $100 and add a radio and you can race. It's a great value. You might get close to 100 mini drivers at a race.
Box stock classes can be a lot of fun, but they aren't immune to hate and discontent. A local track here was running a spec-mini class where the only legal option was ball bearings. We all had to run M03L kits with Cooper bodies, stock shocks, kit tires, stock ESC, box motor, and even a spec battery. I bought a kit Friday, built it Saturday, and raced it Sunday. It was TOTALLY box stock, and I lapped everyone but the 2nd place guy. I was being accused of cheating while still on the driver's stand, and the guy picked my car apart after the race. I offered to sell it to him (my cost, of course), but he wasn't interested. I was obviously cheating, he just didn't know how I did it. He didn't like my answer that it was....dare I say it.....DRIVING SKILLS! And based on my performance at the Nats last year, there ain't much there.

Ahh......I feel better now!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 240Z
I hope I am misunderstanding something here but are you saying the ONLY F1 body that will be released any time soon is the 84024 Type M and it will not be available 'till AFTER the AV TCS...... Any chance we can get a rule waver to run an after market body from D-Drive?
Yes, you can run the aftermarket body from D-drive every Saturday, except during the TCS race. Definitely no on the wavier.

Last edited by gtypecanare; 12-16-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.