Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Thank you. That makes total sense, I didn't even know the TL01 was discontinued until today. Looks like I'll keep an eye out for a TT01.
If you are going to get a TT01, do yourself a favor and get the Type-E. The upgraded steering the kit has in it now is worth it, not to mention the easier access to the gears.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default New Member, New Racer, Old User

For years I have wanted to race 1/10 scale. I haven't been seriously involved since high school mostly.

Years go (1998) I bought and completed but never run a Mustang GT Motorola Cup car (Stars and Stripes) TL-01 based car. It sits in its box never run as I don't have a battery pack(s), charger, electronic speed control or radio system.

I have set that aside to be my thrash car, I would like to see how fast I can make it go with a modest investment.

But I have always put down the controller unless I was racing. Back when I had a Subaru Brat (Frog), I used to race in my next door neighbors backyard track and did fairly well especially when I got 540 power -

I was never happy with just running my car up and down the neighborhood streets, it got boring very quickly.

Fast forward to today -

I wanted to run the TCS with another TL-01 but see its been put our to pasture by Tamiya. So I guess that means a TT-01 based car. I would run the Novie GT3 class and I had a few questions.

Questions -

A) Since Tamiya hop ups are the only legal hop-ups in this class, should I get a TT-01R or as "Car King" said a Type E model TT-01? I like the idea of the R model because its been equipped with all the legal options and there's nothing else to buy but a body, tire inserts and other minor things.

B) If I were to get a basic kit, what should be my first add-ons besides ball bearings?

C) I need a radio system that will work with up to 3 models, maybe 4 as I'm considering RCGT by HPI and Spec Traxxas Slash as well.

D) Is a $60 Super Brain good enough for NiHM batteries and racing? Any suggested brands, it seems Orion packs are popular.

I've always have wanted to race, but the cost put me off and the level of modification to be competitive always had me put it on the back burner. No more I want IN and I want to have fun.

I plan on all the Tamiya Factory track events, K-Mart on weekends in Northridge, RCGT with an HPI E10 and Hot Rod's Spec Slash (later in '09) and Road Runners out of Ventura (I work in Simi).

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give me.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if you are going to run GT3, you are better off getting a TA05 or TB03, as that is what you will be competing against. I dont know much about the TT01, but being that it is an entry level chassis,I think it will take a lot of work to run with the 05 or TB03. You can get the 05IFS-R for a pretty reasonable price, and it is virtually race ready out of the box. If you need some electronics,I have some that would be great for GT3, PM me for details
Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djfourmoney
For years I have wanted to race 1/10 scale. I haven't been seriously involved since high school mostly.

Years go (1998) I bought and completed but never run a Mustang GT Motorola Cup car (Stars and Stripes) TL-01 based car. It sits in its box never run as I don't have a battery pack(s), charger, electronic speed control or radio system.

I have set that aside to be my thrash car, I would like to see how fast I can make it go with a modest investment.

But I have always put down the controller unless I was racing. Back when I had a Subaru Brat (Frog), I used to race in my next door neighbors backyard track and did fairly well especially when I got 540 power -

I was never happy with just running my car up and down the neighborhood streets, it got boring very quickly.

Fast forward to today -

I wanted to run the TCS with another TL-01 but see its been put our to pasture by Tamiya. So I guess that means a TT-01 based car. I would run the Novie GT3 class and I had a few questions.

Questions -

A) Since Tamiya hop ups are the only legal hop-ups in this class, should I get a TT-01R or as "Car King" said a Type E model TT-01? I like the idea of the R model because its been equipped with all the legal options and there's nothing else to buy but a body, tire inserts and other minor things.

B) If I were to get a basic kit, what should be my first add-ons besides ball bearings?

C) I need a radio system that will work with up to 3 models, maybe 4 as I'm considering RCGT by HPI and Spec Traxxas Slash as well.

D) Is a $60 Super Brain good enough for NiHM batteries and racing? Any suggested brands, it seems Orion packs are popular.

I've always have wanted to race, but the cost put me off and the level of modification to be competitive always had me put it on the back burner. No more I want IN and I want to have fun.

I plan on all the Tamiya Factory track events, K-Mart on weekends in Northridge, RCGT with an HPI E10 and Hot Rod's Spec Slash (later in '09) and Road Runners out of Ventura (I work in Simi).

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give me.
buy cheap, buy twice.

have you bought the superbrain? if you havent... get a duratrax ice for a tad bit more. it'll charge nimh and lipo (when/if you eventually upgrade to that).

check the for sale thread.. lots of good options around the $100 price range.

for racing... get a TA05 or a TB-03.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

djfourmoney, skip the superbrain chargers and get a Duratrax Onyx 230. It can charge nimh, nicd, lipo, etc...and it is ac/dc(also saves money, no need of a power supply). I believe you said novice GT-3...if you are racing in spec class get the tt-01R. If you are racing in GT-3, get a TA-05ifs or TB-03ifs so you can always bump up to GT-2 in the future.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Actually I was looking at Novice Spec TT-01 which allows only that chassis.

I'm not all that impressed by belt drive cars actually so I would never consider TA-05 and its more than I want to spend on a car actually.

I haven't bought anything yet, so your saying the Duratrax ICE is a better choice? $130 is a bit more than I wanted to spend, I have other "hobbies" that have to share a budget but it seems this might make sense given its features like future proofing Lithium charging and Motor Break-In.

Is there something slightly less out there??

There is some merit it seem to using a TT-01 in GT3 later on as there is quite a bit of carnage and it seems even the best drivers always make a mistake somewhere in a race. I watch R/C Racing TV and I've seen Marc Riehart and Andy Moore both loose the lead in races they were clearly dominating in and Andy Moore loosing the European Championship because of his mistakes.

So having the fastest car just like in 1:1 racing doesn't always mean you'll win...

I guess I could use my TL-01 in RCGT, just change the body but parts are becoming scarce so I'll have to act quickly.

I just want to race and R/C' constant problem is cost and complexity...

The cheapest TT-01 chassis is on Tamiya E Store - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58318

But that's based on the first generation car, which according to TT-01 runners lacks the stiffer chassis parts and better overall steering found in the latest car. Some say its needed (Type E upgrades) other say it comes down to setup, personal preference and skill level.

I'll assume "Car King" works for Tamiya so I'll PM him to get a list of Type E TT-01 cars.

Moving On -

I need a Radio System that will work with up to 4 cars. I don't need "State of the Art" I doubt I would use all the features. I just want to make racing easy and using different cars with one controller a snap.

Is Spectrum worth it or is FM still viable?

The budget is roughly $300 spread over 2 months for this project.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
if you are going to run GT3, you are better off getting a TA05 or TB03, as that is what you will be competing against. I dont know much about the TT01, but being that it is an entry level chassis,I think it will take a lot of work to run with the 05 or TB03. You can get the 05IFS-R for a pretty reasonable price, and it is virtually race ready out of the box. If you need some electronics,I have some that would be great for GT3, PM me for details
Eek! TA-05-IFS - $300!

That's my entire budget for this project!

I was initially looking at -

TT-01 (ver.1) - $80-100 or TT-01-R - $115 (No Body, No ESC)
MRC Super Brain 960 - $50
Orion Rocket Pack NiMh (3300) - $45
Hop Up Spring Set, Bearings, Turnbuckle and Adjustable Arm Set - apox $50
Radio System (FM, Spectrum) - $100

Roughly $350

To put that in perspective, I work at Pep Boys and we recently were surprised to see we were shipped -

a) Traxxas Stampede
b) Traxxas Slash
c) Traxxas Rustler

After some research I found the Rustler takes too much modification to be competitive vs Losi and Associated trucks in 1/10 off-road. They have started racing Slash's locally in Spec form.

$239 in store cost
20% employee discount
$50 Mail-In Rebate available on Traxxas web site

Total - $156.39 AR (After Rebate) and tax

Comes complete; you need AA's for the radio and receiver (24 batteries for $5 at store) and a real charger, but a cheap AC/DC Super Brain would fit the bill.

I'm ready to run at Hot Rod Hobbies for the most part...(Shock oil, Crystal Pack for the radio)

Yeah I can get more out of a matched pack and all that jazz, but again smooth driving is more important than speed from the videos I have seen.

But I like sedans more....I was interest in a Slash mainly to soak up free time, keep sharp and not my primary racing focus.

In TCS TT-01 Spec -

The only people with straight up box-stock cars would be complete novices and no threat overall unless disaster struck. The rest would have roughly the same experience I would have, no official racing, but some "racing" at the backyard level or local parking lot level, basic understanding of handling and car control.

Many people like to bling out their cars no matter how effective a part may be. People would automatically think the TT-01R is the hot ticket. If you could take advantage of the speed that car is capable of that would be correct, but not at this level I don't think.

We are limited to stock pinion (19t) so a Silver Can turning 13k vs 15k could be made up in the corners if the car it setup right and mistakes minimized. I guess Tamiya is DQ'ing people with "hot" Silver Cans, according to "RaceBucks".

Proper Break In and Constant Motor Cleaning will yield whatever the motor will yield, speed is about equal across the board and gearing is limited, that means the focus is on driving, freeing up the drive-line and improving suspension control.

C'mon fellas help me spend LESS money, not MORE...lol
Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Buy a mini they are only a hundred bucks
Old 12-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Buy a mini they are only a hundred bucks
No Mini's thanks...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. We have new TT01 rollers with bearings for $90, new TT01 kits (including body and ESC) with bearings for $110, and slightly used (but fully optioned and in very good condition) runners complete with body, ESC, battery and AM Futaba Magnum Junior for $175 (all plus shipping). Not trying to get into the used car business here, we just took advantage of a bunch of good deals to get this series going and have some still available.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

djfourmoney- YGPM
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. We have new TT01 rollers with bearings for $90, new TT01 kits (including body and ESC) with bearings for $110, and slightly used (but fully optioned and in very good condition) runners complete with body, ESC, battery and AM Futaba Magnum Junior for $175 (all plus shipping). Not trying to get into the used car business here, we just took advantage of a bunch of good deals to get this series going and have some still available.
hey doc
ring any bells?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

djfourmoney, again look at the Duratrax Onyx 230, I love that charger...and it's a great price. The TT-01R will be perfect for you for spec(comes with everything from bearings to oil shocks to the upgraded arms with droop screws) and its a steal for what you get. You can always bump up to GT-3 with that car, that's what I'm doing. I race off-road now because the track is closer, but I can't spend hundreds on a car that I'll use for a weekend. I believe that my TT-01R will hold its own. Plus, you can add the TT-01E parts to the TT-01R for a small price. I know that aluminium steering is expensive, but that fixes the steering problem big time!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
hey doc
ring any bells?
IMHO, The Best movie ever!

A few of my favorite quotes:

It's a red chariot to take me straight to "hell''

No, it's yellow primer......

It's to f'n high......

I had nuns protesting out front...

I knocked them mother fr's on their ass....

Just sit in the mother f'n car......

Why Mrs. Rodreguez, do you realise, the tires match tho color of your hair....

I don't think so old man....

When the boss see's this, he's gonna have a coranary...

It used to be, when you bought a Polatician, that sonna of a b' stayed bought...

We've got a mile of cars....

He must of slipped on some 40 weight....

Test ride for Toby.......

He wanted you to be happy in this car, and now he's DEAD!.........

Is this your five dollars?...

and last but not least: Stanley Drabrawlski, you ARE Buick Centurion!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
djfourmoney, again look at the Duratrax Onyx 230, I love that charger...and it's a great price. The TT-01R will be perfect for you for spec(comes with everything from bearings to oil shocks to the upgraded arms with droop screws) and its a steal for what you get. You can always bump up to GT-3 with that car, that's what I'm doing. I race off-road now because the track is closer, but I can't spend hundreds on a car that I'll use for a weekend. I believe that my TT-01R will hold its own. Plus, you can add the TT-01E parts to the TT-01R for a small price. I know that aluminium steering is expensive, but that fixes the steering problem big time!
Yeah the R is a nice car, full of upgrades. I found one for $115 on Ebay, but its been shipped from HK so shipping/handling increases the price by $55 and its not that much of a bargain at that point.

I'm also weighing XB cars vs. Kit+Radio setups.

XB would have me running as soon as I put a charged pack into the car. The radio is nothing to write home about, however it speeds up the process of getting track time and tuning the car.

I can change the radio system later, in the meantime I can run the car stock, get used to the speed of the car, the track and then make changes.

I do have one question about tires...

You're suppose to use "kit" tires, does it matter if you car has radials (street models) or racing slicks (race cars) and should that enter into my buying choices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.