Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM
  #9811  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Usually before it is available on our site, the hobby stores will have it which is why it says that. While this isn't ALWAYS the case, it's easier to point people in that direction than adjust it everytime.
AWK is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 PM
  #9812  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 989
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I was laughing about the "See your local hobby store"....
So Nova, are you comimng to the Trackside TCS race? We would love to have you come and see how we have so much fun and observe great sportsmanship here in Wisconsin just like Randy and Ed did lat year. (Hi Randy and Ed. Did you find your bicycle?)

I doubt you will here any of the locals complaining about this awesum free event and the company that sponsors same. I personally would like to run wheel to wheel with you in F1. I can tell from your board name you will be a formidable contender.

It seems odd that Trackside is not the first stop on the TCS tour. As far as I can remember back, Trackside had the first race of the season. I guess we will all have to invade southern California the last weekend in January. I would suspect short sleeve weather that time of year..lol..at leat for us snowbirds.
414MPH is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
  #9813  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
It seems odd that Trackside is not the first stop on the TCS tour. As far as I can remember back, Trackside had the first race of the season. I guess we will all have to invade southern California the last weekend in January. I would suspect short sleeve weather that time of year..lol..at leat for us snowbirds.
The schedule is based off of what the tracks requested, and we did our best to give them what they wanted, and added our dates last.
AWK is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
  #9814  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
It seems odd that Trackside is not the first stop on the TCS tour. As far as I can remember back, Trackside had the first race of the season. I guess we will all have to invade southern California the last weekend in January. I would suspect short sleeve weather that time of year..lol..at leat for us snowbirds.
can you guys handle our VERSION OF COLD? 68degrees, 5mph breeze with cloudy skies?
Hebiki is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
  #9815  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (42)
 
subaru73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Auburn
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

are you talking about socal or wahington state
subaru73 is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
  #9816  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
SirSwiftAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SOCAL the fastest mini cooper guys in the nation
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki
can you guys handle our VERSION OF COLD? 68degrees, 5mph breeze with cloudy skies?
Don't lie Chris its gonna be 74 tomorrow sunny with a 2 mile an hour breeze coming from the south. Anything under 70 and I have to wear a slong sleeve shirt. Its Good " Guuuuud "
SirSwiftAlot is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 AM
  #9817  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Wicked-Wayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Do you feel you're a star?
Posts: 2,033
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wallstreet
this question is for the tcs regional guys who race at trackside..

will the df03ra kit be allowed for racing the rally division. it looks like a standard kit but it comes with the rally tires and body.
Is that the new rally kit or whatever out. I would probably say no but do make sure to call scotty and check.

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
My guess is yes. They let the TB-02 run in the rally class, which also had ball diffs. I ended up winning with a TB-01 with gear diffs...so, I don't think it matters that much. I'd call Scotty on this one!
They look for the final drive ratios to be close. It does matter alot they try to keep it as even as possible.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Wicked-Wayz is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
  #9818  
Tech Addict
 
Waltrip55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 578
Default

Originally Posted by Wicked-Wayz
They look for the final drive ratios to be close. It does matter alot they try to keep it as even as possible.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
I was talking about gear diffs vs. ball diffs. The final drive ratio is the most important thing to keep all those cars close(and fun). If they didn't do that, it would be like GT-3
Waltrip55 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
  #9819  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
minimusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: OC CA
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
I guess we will all have to invade southern California the last weekend in January. I would suspect short sleeve weather that time of year..lol..at leat for us snowbirds.
plz do. i'll be @ aliso that weekend.
minimusprime is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
  #9820  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
So Nova, are you comimng to the Trackside TCS race? We would love to have you come and see how we have so much fun and observe great sportsmanship here in Wisconsin just like Randy and Ed did lat year. (Hi Randy and Ed. Did you find your bicycle?)
Don't worry, we will drag NovaF1 up to Trackside with us. Randy and I look forward to this race again. We will get a bunch of guys together for the roadtrip. Maryland now have 2 TCS races. Of course you guys have to come on down and race at least one of them.

Anyway, Randy been playing around with a F103RM for the last 3 weeks. He now say that it is his favorite car to drive. Therefore, it looks like GT1 and F1 will be the race class for 2009. GT2 goes to the shelf. We wish we could run a 3rd class (Buggy) at the TCS race.

We are heading up to FastCats next weekend to run 13.5 Rubber TC and F1 (black can) in Rnd 2 of the Northeast Grand Slam Race Series. Just found out that Steve Bortolotti also signed up to also run 13.5 Rubber and F1.
It going to be ugly to see how fast Steve is on carpet at his home track. F1 is the largest class with 23+ signed up so far. We need lots of help getting this car ready.
1. What is a good starting rollout for black can for carpet racing?
2. Should we cut the tires to lower the ride height?
3. Should we use the kit tires? We just received spare tires (soft rear, med front). The new rear are much wider.
4. Should we go to 64 pitch spur?
TeamB&B is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 PM
  #9821  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (25)
 
Phat-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gardena , Ca
Posts: 612
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Questions?? no brushed motor?

could anyone please tell me, why tamiya removed brushed motors from gt1 and gt2 class from 2009 season. brushed motors are legal under roar rules, and tcs racing apply almost same rules as roar. i got alot of nip trinity kd 19t and co27t motors witch i bought few months ago...
Phat-Boy is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
  #9822  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (107)
 
lbckevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,731
Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Phat-Boy
could anyone please tell me, why tamiya removed brushed motors from gt1 and gt2 class from 2009 season. brushed motors are legal under roar rules, and tcs racing apply almost same rules as roar. i got alot of nip trinity kd 19t and co27t motors witch i bought few months ago...

Tamiya has chosen to go with the brushless motors, they are the future of RC.

You can use your brushed motors in local parking lot races, but maybe 1 out of 100 entries is using brushed motors locally. Time to get brushless and get with the times.
lbckevin is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 PM
  #9823  
Tech Adept
 
StoneMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Don't worry, we will drag NovaF1 up to Trackside with us. Randy and I look forward to this race again. We will get a bunch of guys together for the roadtrip. Maryland now have 2 TCS races. Of course you guys have to come on down and race at least one of them.

Anyway, Randy been playing around with a F103RM for the last 3 weeks. He now say that it is his favorite car to drive. Therefore, it looks like GT1 and F1 will be the race class for 2009. GT2 goes to the shelf. We wish we could run a 3rd class (Buggy) at the TCS race.

We are heading up to FastCats next weekend to run 13.5 Rubber TC and F1 (black can) in Rnd 2 of the Northeast Grand Slam Race Series. Just found out that Steve Bortolotti also signed up to also run 13.5 Rubber and F1.
It going to be ugly to see how fast Steve is on carpet at his home track. F1 is the largest class with 23+ signed up so far. We need lots of help getting this car ready.
1. What is a good starting rollout for black can for carpet racing?
2. Should we cut the tires to lower the ride height?
3. Should we use the kit tires? We just received spare tires (soft rear, med front). The new rear are much wider.
4. Should we go to 64 pitch spur?
Glad to hear you're coming up to Fastcats.
A good starting point for rollout is around 40
Kit tires is what most of us run. Not necessary to cut your tires but you may want to even them up from time to time.
64 pitch is only better for getting closer to your target rollout.
Look for the Tamiya Table. Cory Whiteman, Tom Wright, Steve and Martin Crisp will all be there.
StoneMan is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
  #9824  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Locally in our area parking lot racing it's still split evenly between brushed and brushless. The cost of the esc's I think is slowing down the complete dominance of brushless. I know a lot of the advantages of brushless and there is no doubt that they are the future. By requiring them in GT2 and GT1 there are a certain number of drivers who come to a TCS regional races for many years on an annual basis that won't want to invest in a new system for one regional race. In this economy I don't see the logic in requring it for those classes. May be there is less cheating with a brushless motor. But, that's Tamiya's decision. I am guessing there will be more people than ever in GT3 and Mini. I guess it all depends on what you call "manageable costs." I hope it goes well and it will be fun to watch.
MD is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
  #9825  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MD
Locally in our area parking lot racing it's still split evenly between brushed and brushless. The cost of the esc's I think is slowing down the complete dominance of brushless. I know a lot of the advantages of brushless and there is no doubt that they are the future. By requiring them in GT2 and GT1 there are a certain number of drivers who come to a TCS regional races for many years on an annual basis that won't want to invest in a new system for one regional race. In this economy I don't see the logic in requring it for those classes. May be there is less cheating with a brushless motor. But, that's Tamiya's decision. I am guessing there will be more people than ever in GT3 and Mini. I guess it all depends on what you call "manageable costs." I hope it goes well and it will be fun to watch.
With Novak coming out with the Havoc BL/ESC for $150 you can't blame the cost as being prohibative. AT that price it is cheaper than a brushed motor ESC combo. I think we are now at a point where going BL and Lipo is cheaper to start out with than what it cost to start up Brushed motors, ESC, and NiMh batteries.

BL/ESC $150
Lipo $50
Total $200

27t $30
ESC $120
4 6 cell batteries $200
Total $350
f1larry is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.