Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck to Team USA in Japan.

It looks like Tamiya is releasing the A123 Lithium Nano Phosphate Battery Pack.
Nice and WOW!

http://www.rct.jp/contents/tamgp/world2008/04.html

Last edited by linger; 11-22-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: included link
Old 11-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 60D mgrips in TCS?

Hey Fred:

Why not 50684 60D's (m-grips) in Mini in the new TCS rules - they are still readily available, not discontinued, and are a staple on carpet tracks, where you are running multiple TCS events?? For that matter, why not the kit 60D's as well? Hope this is just an oversight.

I do like the rethinking of the return of the 3 GT classes - good idea. As well as the limitation of GT2 to the IFS chassis - it is nice to see some different scale bodies.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ling,
Your prowes in international language far ecxeeds my humble Wisconsin dialect. Eh? Ya wan'ta go Bowl'n now do ya?

If Tamiya is looking at A123 technology, what will that mean to the current Lipo tech?

Marty
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

so with the tinkering of the GT rules. might i suggest a setup for the f1 class to add some flavor and interest to the entire event. perhaps somethin like to 10min open qualifiers (adjust the time to how many heats u have), in and out as u like, best lap sets the grid. just like real thing. then the main. either do quals at beginning and main at end, or do it all at the frontend of the event. and let folks go work on their mini's and gt's the rest of the day.

what do you think?

R
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I am glad to see that there are three GT classes, but i was surprised to see brushless only in certain classes. I think there will be a certain number of drivers who traditionally raced GT1 or GT2 at the regional level who won't go out and buy a brushless system for one race. Many of those drivers have no interest in GT3. I know the arguments for brushless. For example, there are certain drivers who race at Trackside in the TCS, but won't invest in a new system. I hope it works out well.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
Good luck to Team USA in Japan.

It looks like Tamiya is releasing the A123 Lithium Nano Phosphate Battery Pack.
Nice and WOW!

http://www.rct.jp/contents/tamgp/world2008/04.html
Ling the battery man... What the heck is a Lithium Nano Phosphate Battery?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The rule regarding the mini tires is a little disappointing. I still have tires from last year that are good and was hoping not to have to buy any.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Tamiya has finally done it... gone from a series that everyone can do, to a series only a select few can do, unless you like spending money. In hard economic times, purse strings are tight.

I understand that with BL that really there are no comparisons to brushed.

Why Limit BL?

When Stock changed from 13.5 to 17.5, many of us ran the 13.5 novak motor, which was a dog compared to the others. Now with the switch to 17.5 we bought the better motors which were NOT Novak. Now with GT2 you expect us to buy a slower motor/motors for 1 class for 1 race... ludicrous!

Then for GT2 you only allow IFS cars and bodies. Why can't the other chassis be used and limit their use to the NSX body. Some guys I know only have 1 IFS car, not 2. Makes no sense, unless they are trying to force people in these times to buy IFS cars... ludicrous!

Then there is a 2 fan rule that "A-ko" asked about, is the limit including escs that use a fan so you could only run 1 fan on a motor or does the esc fan get excluded and the 2 fan limit is only for motors?

I was actually excited with the early rules and early schedule for 2009 race season. I thought like years previous it would be easy to run 2 classes. I guess not.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by over gear
Ling the battery man... What the heck is a Lithium Nano Phosphate Battery?
I have a little experience with them
http://www.a123systems.com/
They also have a few threads about them on rctech
The world’s quickest electric motorcycle uses them: http://www.killacycle.com/

I have played around with these cells and built a set for my F103 using a black and Decker VPX battery pack.

The a123 cells have a few neat features.
1) You can almost fully discharge them without major impact on the life of the battery.
2) You can charge them at very high C rates
3) They have a very high discharge/charge cycle life

It also has some disadvantages:
1) The cells are not a standard size
2) Brushless system are not set up for the cut off voltage of these cells
3) Being a 3.3v per cell battery is not a standard voltage for and unless a club racing format allows for a 6.6 or 9.9v cell, it won't be coming to a local track anytime soon.
4) The volume and mass per stored watt is a little higher for a123 cells than a typical LiPo.
5)Most constant voltage/current chargers do not have a charge curve setting for these cells (Orions new advanced flight charger does).

The electric flight guys like them due to the high charge rate and the toughness. I think it would make a fantastic 6.6v pack for a brushless pan car class making for a very level power formula, but it does not have any momentum for on road racing.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Tcs

I understand what tamiya is tring to do and we should all be happy we have the series to race.That is why I am going back to f1 simple and you only need one car.Yea it runs foam tires but they are much cheaper than sedan tires and you can get more than one run out of them.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

8 minute mains for GT2 sounds like fun. I think GT3 could 8 minute mains and probably heats too. The minis could probably run 8 minute heats and mains. That would really be fun.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just a heads up Fred. The Schedule page needs to be updated. Still says '08.

Glad to see The Plex on the schedule. I had a chance to race there in March at the ROAR Carpet Nats and it was awesome!!!! Alex runs a great show, the track is super nice, well stocked hobby shop, great area, all in all a perfect addition to the series. If you guys have the chance to attend the Plex race I highly recommend it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gcooper
Tamiya has finally done it... gone from a series that everyone can do, to a series only a select few can do, unless you like spending money. In hard economic times, purse strings are tight.

I understand that with BL that really there are no comparisons to brushed.

Why Limit BL?

When Stock changed from 13.5 to 17.5, many of us ran the 13.5 novak motor, which was a dog compared to the others. Now with the switch to 17.5 we bought the better motors which were NOT Novak. Now with GT2 you expect us to buy a slower motor/motors for 1 class for 1 race... ludicrous!

Then for GT2 you only allow IFS cars and bodies. Why can't the other chassis be used and limit their use to the NSX body. Some guys I know only have 1 IFS car, not 2. Makes no sense, unless they are trying to force people in these times to buy IFS cars... ludicrous!

Then there is a 2 fan rule that "A-ko" asked about, is the limit including escs that use a fan so you could only run 1 fan on a motor or does the esc fan get excluded and the 2 fan limit is only for motors?

I was actually excited with the early rules and early schedule for 2009 race season. I thought like years previous it would be easy to run 2 classes. I guess not.
Ever think that maybe the idea is to get people to run two different classes instead of two sedan classes?
Tamya as last year is trying to have something for everyone, and I applaud that.
I realize that companies make money on new technology, but the sooner that someone puts a freeze on brushless development, the better. My understanding of the concept behind brushless was to run the same setup for a longer period of time (1 season?1 year?longer?) the way it is right now, brushless is no more cost effective than brushed, just less maintenance.It seems that there is a newer faster whatever all the time. They need to make every manufacturer build their brushless to the same spec, so on isn't a huge advantage over another.
I wouldn't go blaming Tamiya for wild development on the motor side. As far as two chassis, I have seen guys do double duty with one chassis at a TCS race, and most of the brushless controllers can still do brushed.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Fred what do you say about holding a FUN RACE sometime before Christmas I could sure use some good ol' mini racing outdoors at the track and I know you have been dying to bring your mini out with us and do some battle. If you do I will supply you with the horsepower. Anyone else want to chime in and help pursuade Fred.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No matter what, I'm gonna race somethin'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.