Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
First off, in 2008 the only US TCS events that had any limit on silver can performance were the ones at Aliso: the regional in June (15K max) and the Nats (no touchie). Every other event was wide open. Why? Because nobody else believed there was a need for limits or had the interest, inclination or manpower to impose them. They're fine with racers being racers and going as fast as they can regardless of the class they choose to enter. Trackside, Seattle, Memphis (64 Mini's!), NorCal, Maryland and Connecticut were all terrific events, and anyone who believes that Eric, Kody, Charlie, Brandon, Robbie, or anybody else won solely and exclusively because they had a fast motor is delusional. I only wish I could drive as well as those guys can.

Secondly- and I'm not trying to throw this in your face, but hey, you said it:

Last time I looked, the only silver can rule was to mandate the #53689 part number. Are we looking at changing the rules before we even have a schedule?

If you think the silver can class is won because these guys who won the classes are amazing drivers, why is it they didnt dominate the others classes they ran in at the tcs regionals???????

I am sorry but when i get cought and get 4 car lengths on me on the straight alone, that has nothing to do with driving skills. And if you are going to tell me its all corner speed your crazy!

I am glad to see mini GT cause we will see who is really fast when the silver cans are gone from the mini cars. I can tell you already that guys who were super fast for years came to the novak race last year and were in the b and c mains cause it was a 17.5 motor instead of the stupid silver cans. That alone leads me to believe the motors have alot to do with who wins and finishes mid pack in the a main.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Doc, you could not put it any cleaner
yes motor prep has alot to do with it but so does the car.
If you put a high rpm motor in a ok setup chassis it will roll over
9 out of 10 times
Slowing the cars down will help in the sport but will run others off,
for the fact that some of us like to see how far we can push the car.
and get the most out.
also at most of the TCS races that I have been to alot of outoftowners are allways in the A-B main cause, most of them race Tamiya car all the time and in Mini race with a silver can motor.
I myself would race my Mini in a sedan class or a spec sedan class to see how far behind i was on power and setup.
how many of us have sat for hours going though motors to find the best one????????? I know i have and that is the point of racing to find a edge.
out what happened to off road racing there are to companys that really race in off road.kind of like nascar one chassis and 4 engines
its the same for us 2 chassis and 4 motors
The TCS race is the best program in RC racing history!!!!!!
this year I placed allmost last in Memphis was it due to some one having a faster motor??? bad driving on my part,and the awsome drivers with fast motors will all ways win.
just my 2 cents
Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
If you think the silver can class is won because these guys who won the classes are amazing drivers, why is it they didnt dominate the others classes they ran in at the tcs regionals???????
Driving a ML03 is a very different game than running a 4WD chassis. The skills from one class do not always translate into the other. Also most drivers who run two classes run the second for something to do between runs and put the effort into the developing the setup and skill in which ever class they consider primary.

I am sorry but when i get cought and get 4 car lengths on me on the straight alone, that has nothing to do with driving skills. And if you are going to tell me its all corner speed your crazy!
For the most part, the AV event was about as fair as you can get. Hmmm, perhaps you missed the rule that says you can replace the drive train bushings with bearings? But seriously, out of the box some motors are more equal than others. I got one motor that was a dud (9K at 5v) and that is one reason why they allowed you to purchase a second motor as a backup at the NA finals. The only other way to even it out any more would have been to randomly hand out motors every run so you never get the same motor twice.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I just had a discussion about this with a fellow racer. Larrys is running a TCS spec Mini class complete with handout silvercan motors. Guess who won the first race? Wippler, with an untouched silvercan. Im not saying that all the fast guys are playing legit, but apparently Wippler won in fairly convincing fashion. So there is apparently more to going fast than just motor, but it certainly doesn't hurt

I am glad to see mini GT cause we will see who is really fast when the silver cans are gone from the mini cars. I can tell you already that guys who were super fast for years came to the novak race last year and were in the b and c mains cause it was a 17.5 motor instead of the stupid silver cans. That alone leads me to believe the motors have alot to do with who wins and finishes mid pack in the a main.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

240Z makes an excellent point, but please note the words "solely and exclusively" in my original post. The guys who won had both excellent driving skills and amazing power...funny how the fast guys always seem to pull that off.

When you look at the other guys who were in the Mini A at Trackside (you were at the back of that pack, if I remember correctly, in a very tough field of very competent drivers- nice work) most of them are racers who have darn good track records in other classes. Pepe, St. Amant, Whipler and Sunderlage- no slouches there.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I race according to the rules, and if there's an RPM limit, I'll be lower than that. But if there's no limit, then I want the best motor I can get, and based on the messages in my in-box, a LOT of silver can racers out there agree with me.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rccardr
240Z makes an excellent point, but please note the words "solely and exclusively" in my original post. The guys who won had both excellent driving skills and amazing power...funny how the fast guys always seem to pull that off.

When you look at the other guys who were in the Mini A at Trackside (you were at the back of that pack, if I remember correctly, in a very tough field of very competent drivers- nice work) most of them are racers who have darn good track records in other classes. Pepe, St. Amant, Whipler and Sunderlage- no slouches there.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I race according to the rules, and if there's an RPM limit, I'll be lower than that. But if there's no limit, then I want the best motor I can get, and based on the messages in my in-box, a LOT of silver can racers out there agree with me.
I'm with ya Doc. Slow sucks and fast rules even if I hit every pipe on the track.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They have completely flipped the trip around. We raced right away and then got to screw off.....
Good luck to this years N.America team and have fun.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

Heard from Steve 10pm Shizuka time.
He's there / RC equipment's NOT
Don't know much more than that.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Justin Zorc did murder everybody at the Novak race. It was disappointing to hear he didn't go to the Tamiya regional.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

paging George C.... updates please?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Here is a quick photographic update from practice day.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

2009 Schedule Posted
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/schedule.php
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Wow a double shot of Maryland. Sweet!

R
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Here is a quick photographic update from practice day.

Can anyone pick out the one that doesn't live in sunny California?

Last edited by StoneMan; 11-21-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
They have completely flipped the trip around. We raced right away and then got to screw off.....
Good luck to this years N.America team and have fun.
I was thinking about the same thing... Wonder how could they have enjoyed the "tours" if tension is building up prior to the real race?

Likewise... goodluck to our multicultural team! Go USA...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.