Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

a $45 mabuchi?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

$45 is worth it.. The DOC breaks them in like no one else, and you will find that (if you have one of your old ones laying around) his tweaked ones will smoke your old ones. Trust me!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks, John. Appreciate the props.

a $45 mabuchi?
Well, it's actually a $45 Johnson motor, but yes.
Voodoo Magic silver cans for the masses!

Last edited by rccardr; 11-18-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

$45.00 for a Red Dot motor is well worth the expense!!!! I KNOW that the motor will be good and will run strong.

I'm tired of buying 3 to 5 or more silver cans at $12 - $15 each on the hope that I will get one as good as the Red Dot.

On a motor-by-motor basis Red Dots are expensive, but when you factor in the total cost of buying and finding a good silver can motor, it really is a good deal.

It's kind of a "pay me now or pay me later" deal

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As a warning before buying trick motors, RPM limits will be enforced at some, and maybe all events. Please be aware of this and know that should there be an RPM limit, these motors will most likely be DQ'd. Specifically for Aliso, the RPM threshold will be very low.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm okay with RPM limits, but will we know in advance what they will be???

I think that they were around 14K last year at some events.

I just want to work ahead and avoid buying a bunch of dog motors or spending $45.00 for a motor that will exceed the RPM limit.

Info please!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeah my money's already spent, so it would be nice to know what venues are subject to this limit, if ther is a limit I will run brushless
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM
AWK
Tech Master

It is up to each host site to confirm if they will have RPM limits or not, and what they are. Some sites do not have the man power to have RPM limits, but we do encourage them to do so. It is also up to their discretion to announce the RPM rules if they have them at a time of their choosing. If they would like to announce it the day of the event, then that is ok.

I can tell you that the Aliso round will have RPM limits as we have the last two years, but we will not announce the limits until possibly the day of the event just like last season. Whatever they are, they will be in the range of a out of box silvercan. We don't want or need to set the limits higher than that. The purpose is to keep competition close not to encourage people to buy $45 silvercan motors.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Any news on the 2009 schedule?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Working on it..
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First off, in 2008 the only US TCS events that had any limit on silver can performance were the ones at Aliso: the regional in June (15K max) and the Nats (no touchie). Every other event was wide open. Why? Because nobody else believed there was a need for limits or had the interest, inclination or manpower to impose them. They're fine with racers being racers and going as fast as they can regardless of the class they choose to enter. Trackside, Seattle, Memphis (64 Mini's!), NorCal, Maryland and Connecticut were all terrific events, and anyone who believes that Eric, Kody, Charlie, Brandon, Robbie, or anybody else won solely and exclusively because they had a fast motor is delusional. I only wish I could drive as well as those guys can.

Secondly- and I'm not trying to throw this in your face, but hey, you said it:

There will be NO RULES CHANGES until after the first race at the earliest if needed.
Last time I looked, the only silver can rule was to mandate the #53689 part number. Are we looking at changing the rules before we even have a schedule?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
First off, in 2008 the only US TCS events that had any limit on silver can performance were the ones at Aliso: the regional in June (15K max) and the Nats (no touchie). Every other event was wide open. Why? Because nobody else believed there was a need for limits or had the interest, inclination or manpower to impose them. They're fine with racers being racers and going as fast as they can regardless of the class they choose to enter. Trackside, Seattle, Memphis (64 Mini's!), NorCal, Maryland and Connecticut were all terrific events, and anyone who believes that Eric, Kody, Charlie, Brandon, Robbie, or anybody else won solely and exclusively because they had a fast motor is delusional. I only wish I could drive as well as those guys can.

Last time I looked, the only silver can rule was to mandate the #53689 part number. Are we looking at changing the rules before we even have a schedule?
Yes last season Aliso was the only event with RPM limits, but we do allow other venues to impose limits as well. Their staffing usually dictates their rules.

This is not a rules change because this is not a rule mandated for the entire seeries. As I stated, we cannot force other events to have RPM limits if their staffing does not allow them to do so. This is a rule that we are choosing to do for our races as we have in the past, and that other venues can also choose to do if they wish.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the B main at the md event looked like a regular club race at GB where they run handout random draw motors. the Amain or the 'haves' were on another planet. and typically the next wk when every1 was back on handouts. all the key players were down 1.5sec/lap. shocker :/

R
Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr

I actually was running bone stock "Mabuchi" motors at Aliso and Nor Cal Regionals just becuase I think cheating is repulsive
Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I kinda like the no touch rule... thats what we are doing at larrys and no one is fast ..lol its all about corner speed and line. Whips car has amazing corner speed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.