Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

Originally Posted by 240Z
The track has been deteriorating before our eyes in the past 2 years. It would be a shame to let it go to the point where it would require major repairs. As it is, the seam in the middle of the track needs to at least be sealed before the major rain comes. So what does it cost to get it resealed anyway? $1000? $1500? A few donations by the track regulars, run a few pay events (F103 enduro anybody? etc.), Tamiya corporate pitches in a few bucks... it could happen.
I would be willing to pich in some $$ to help the track,it would be a great shame to have go away.Every body should do what you can to save it so we can have nats 1 mor time next year
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe this year TCS can start a track maintenance fund.

They could also sell raffle tickets for one big prize, like a tank, yes, tankyou verrrry muuuch.

Could be a regional thing to do to give some funds for the track before the nats....
Old 11-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

no slurry seal please. that ruins it in terms of traction. ill donate some someone get it started
Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
If Kevin buys up all the tires .. he will win. If there isnt any left for you or me, then what ? I'll go buy all the electricity in town and charge an arm and a leg.. or more like a set of tires for you to charge your packs. Dont make it a money war. Thats just poor sportsmanship and bad for racing in general.
How about we just arm wrestle and you can go home with a broken arm. or maybe we can go down town and get mugged . That sounds like a fine waste of money. I guess what I'm trying to say is that ,,, lets see... $50 per 5 min race 12 races an hour.. ok , for arguments sake lets say 8 heats with 10 drivers each and 6 total rounds not including qualifying. Jesus christ and the 12 apostles never dreamt of such scicanery. Oh , and lets just imagine 40 ppl at the race. Thats $120,000.00 in tires and wheels and inserts before taxes even, 2400 full sets of tires. I seriously doubt even Bridgestone ships that quantity for any race. I think the columbian drug lords or the chinese mafia are the only people making that kind of dough. Lazy ? I dont think so.. Logical... hardly. Cart blanche' Please.

If I could buy up all the B3 tires in the world, I probably would have already bought the Tamiya track and you probably would not be invited. For Hebiki, I would sell them to him at cost so he can afford to go to Seattle and go to Burgermaster. Your math is all wrong. Your forget that after that 5 minute run, we do not just throw the tires away. Maybe you can afford to do that but we can't. I usually give my one runs to my brother or girlfriend to run (gee, I just helped two more people "afford" to run TCS). After they put a run on them, they give them back and I usually get at least another 5-6 practice runs on them later. Practice, thats the thing people do to learn to drive better. So, at a minimum of 7 runs per set of tire, at $ 45.00 per set (assuming the person has enough brain power to save their inserts), that is a whopping $ 6.42 per run. Now, at the Nationals, if you run all four qualifiers and make the A main, thats 7 runs = $ 44.94 for tires. You see, us poor folks out here on the West Cost can not afford to run a set of tires once and throw them away so we actually practice with those same tires to get our moneys worth out of them. Now, whether you choose to put all seven runs on one set of tires or run seven sets and have them for practice tires for the next 2-4 months is your choice. Your using a made up number for tire costs to validate your poor argument, saying you can break my arm in an arm wrestle match, throwing out the blowing coke part, yeah, I see who has the bad sportsmanship. If you can't run TCS becuase tires are too expensive for you, you won't be missed.

Ultregrasti - We started with our local club parking lot races a "TCS left overs class". Any chassis (not just Tamiya) but hand out silver motors (donated by the drivers and tested to make sure they were close in numbers. No expense to the guy running the race) and "Used" B3 tires only. For the guys who ran other non-Tamiya cars and did not have any B3's, the rest of us always brought spares and gave them a set to use. Usually get at least 7-10 drivers when we do it.

MDawson - You really are still out there ! Hey, I was already in HK on a business trip when I bought those tires.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
no slurry seal please. that ruins it in terms of traction. ill donate some someone get it started
Two questions for the forum:

In terms of traction/tread life, what is the best material to resurface with?

How much would it cost to resurface the AV track?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 240Z
Two questions for the forum:

In terms of traction/tread life, what is the best material to resurface with?

How much would it cost to resurface the AV track?
one track here (parking lot/temp) was slurry sealed...and there wasnt a single tire compound that had traction after it got resealed.... no amount of soda, VHT (not good for parking lot races because of cost) helped either. we have a few other parking lots that have some sort of seal on it.... traction is bad too. so no idea what they're putting in those slurry seals that make it so bad.

not sure what surface would be good? maybe ask the Seattle guys how tire wear is on their tires..they have indoor asphalt.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

one track here (parking lot/temp) was slurry sealed...and there wasnt a single tire compound that had traction after it got resealed.... no amount of soda, VHT (not good for parking lot races because of cost) helped either. we have a few other parking lots that have some sort of seal on it.... traction is bad too. so no idea what they're putting in those slurry seals that make it so bad.

not sure what surface would be good? maybe ask the Seattle guys how tire wear is on their tires..they have indoor asphalt.
Chris,
The Memphis TCS Track is in a Target Parking lot every year and the club there used some type of roll on sealer that has great traction and it evens works with water weepers that comes up thru the cracks in the afternoon during the race? I talked to Fred about us TCS Racers getting together and coming up with a track redo fund program and even a group of guys that could do the work on the track?
I know a little about asphalt repaving, if we could grind the top 1 inch surface layer off the track and fill the cracks in with an epoxy based filler and put down the Memphis TCS Sealer the track would be billard table smooth and un-real traction with probably minimal tire wear?
Now it boils down to how much $$ and who will help do the work???

What does everybody think about that??
Even if Tamiya sells the track, I think it would be worth it to be done?
SH
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I cannot tell you guys how much we appreciate the mere thought of the loyal TCS guys getting together and pitching in to help the track. At this point though, the status of the track is up in the air so right now we are going through our options. Just know we are going to do what we can in the best interest of us and our racers. Having the racers pay for repairs is not going to be an option.

Again, thank you for the sentiment as we know you guys would gladly do what you could to help!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hickmeister
Chris,
The Memphis TCS Track is in a Target Parking lot every year and the club there used some type of roll on sealer that has great traction and it evens works with water weepers that comes up thru the cracks in the afternoon during the race? I talked to Fred about us TCS Racers getting together and coming up with a track redo fund program and even a group of guys that could do the work on the track?
I know a little about asphalt repaving, if we could grind the top 1 inch surface layer off the track and fill the cracks in with an epoxy based filler and put down the Memphis TCS Sealer the track would be billard table smooth and un-real traction with probably minimal tire wear?

SH
I do not think regrinding the track would be required and it will multiply of the cost/effort. The track is fairly smooth in all places with the exception of the middle seam that runs the length of the track. As you suggested, epoxy filler would do the job on the seam.

The rest of the track could use a base filler to fill surface voids where the asphalt had deteriorated. A quick on line search shows an Acrylic product used for resurfacing tennis courts @ $60 a gallon to cover about 500 sq feet and can be applied with a squeegee after a good power washing. At this point, a single coat may suffice as long as it is done before the track gets too bad.

Throw down a nice coat of VHT track bite for race weekends and traction increases/tires last longer/racing becomes more enjoyable! If this can be done for less than $500 in materials with volunteer workers, where do I sign up?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hickmeister
Chris,

SH
Steve, great idea ill help. someone organize all i know is, NO SLURRY SEAL.

Andrew, how are you guys gonna stop us if we sneak in and do the work in the middle of the night?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Steve, great idea ill help. someone organize all i know is, NO SLURRY SEAL.

Andrew, how are you guys gonna stop us if we sneak in and do the work in the middle of the night?
Well that depends. If it comes out well, then we will just say 'oh well, we tried to stop them'. But...if it sucks, be prepaired for a lawsuit!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CarKing
Well that depends. If it comes out well, then we will just say 'oh well, we tried to stop them'. But...if it sucks, be prepaired for a lawsuit!!!!
ooo... then dont be surprised if you see a new set of islands at the track
Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
AWK
Tech Master

ooo... then dont be surprised if you see a new set of islands at the track
You know if anything happens at the track now, you are DEFINITELY going to be the first person I call!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarKing
Well then, just for curiosities sake, what are the dimensions of the track?
Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i think GB uses a mix of traction compound and grape soda. seems to work every wkend with more standard stuff. but i'm not sure if they sprayed it or not that day b/c over some questioning of whether it was allowed. not sure. i know they did the day b4 b/c they had a club/warmup race. who knows, when is the sched up. b/c of it doesnt come back to GB, then off to ebay the IFSR goes.

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.