Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

yeh but who wants to go to the local tcs in there town for fun and have to go buy a few sets of tires to race 1 race 1 wkend, and have a bunch of tires that if not totally wasted are no good anyway come next wk.

my driver gave away all his tires after the day to kids hopin they could get somethin outta em. 1 father tried to give em what he had in his wallet and to be told no, there not worth it.

sick, indeed. if its not addressed now. this will die an untimely death. dare i say get ready for taxes.

R
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
Sounds like a good idea only at Nats right? Well think about it. Motor rules, pre and post tech, and tack on tire rules...tech would take 1 driver 15 minutes and we would need 3-4 days to run.
YES only at the Nats.
Although when there was a tire shortage Tamiya limited the number of B2s used and sold for the race. They were marked with a sticker (that would be destroyed when peeled off) and inked by the inspector. It worked well and would take 10 seconds for a inspector to detect.

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
1) No, that is racing. You have just gotten lazy running carpet tracks. For those of us who don't have carpet tracks around (most of California), we can buy tires or give up the sport.
2) A main guys at the IIC carpet race run three or four run tires ? Even the top foam guys run true there tires down so they can only get one run per tire.
3)I don't think "PRO" National and International drivers are worried about the cost of one run tires. They spend more on their practice tires than they do on race tires.
4) If you are worried about the cost of tires, save those one runs for next years regionals or practice. You would have to buy them anyway. Or does that become a "non-competitive advatage" running used tires at regionals now ?
5) I think people love to assume people have million dollar budgets for tires and are "buying" there victoriesand that is why they are faster. Yeah, there was about five sets being glued, for five cars, running 3 qualifiers and triple A mains for that weekend. So doing the math since we were all in the A for all five cars, that was 30 races total we ran.
6) So if spending money on tires is not in the "spirit" of this series, what is people tweakiing motors and selling a $ 15.00 motor for $ 45.00 or more considered ?
1) We run pavement in the summer and carpet in the winter. To say all midwest and east coast guys only run carpet because they are lazy is ignorant. I even traveled from the midwest to race on 2 east coast "pavement" tracks last summer.
2) Many big races offer 1 spec tire like CS27 and have a limit of 3 to 5 depending. If I would suggest a check in limit at the Nats, it would be 3 sets.
3) You might be surprised that they have budgets too.
4) Many of us already do that.
5) The concept is to make it more affordable for everyone and limit those with million dollar spending habits.
6) An opportunist, to help afford the costs of racing.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Again, not enough staffing to do tire tech ESPECIALLY at a regional and all other venues are under staffed as is without tire tech. The reality is, no Tamiya employee is supposed to be working tech at any regional besides Aliso, but tell me how often you go to your local race and see Fred, Gary, or Larry working tech, even alone at times? Imagine if Tamiya employees only did what they were supposed to do at the event; sit and watch to make sure things were run right and be a representative of the company nothing more. Not a tech, race announcer, pit man, anything. Same reason we don't do the type of motor tech we did at Finals at regionals.

Budget for tires broken down as follows:
1 set of tires = $40
1 set of inserts = $5
1 set of wheels = $5
Total per set = $50.00

3 quals, 3 mains min, possible 2 extra mains if in the A = 8 sets

8 races x $50.00 = $400.00 MINIMUM not including practice tires if no left overs from past events. This was for Aliso regionals and finals.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

400bux for a fun day of racing at ur regional event. what is it, a race or some fun?

if tamiya doesnt send a person like they do nowadays. who's to say the regular track/club director wont go and tell all who come to run, 'hey guys/gals for the GT classes we'll be runnin blues. at most u'll need 2 sets.' if thats what folks in that area normally run, it'll get people in the game. tamiya needs to align its GT classes such to increase 415/16/05MS sales for people who want a new 'weekly' touring ride over other brands. i think if many folks have a 13.5 and/or a 17.5 option...that could sell.

R
Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Like I have said in the past

Here is the hot ticket for tire management for the TCS Regional/National at Aliso Viejo for any GT class. All you need is 5 sets if the weather is typical.

Set 1-Practice
Set 2-Q1
Set 2-Q2
Set 3-Q3 @ Happy Hour
Set 3-Q4 time to protect your TQ or use your 4th set to make it in to the show
Set 4-A1
Set 5-A2
Set 4/5-A3

All I got to say the insert of choice is "pink"
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

"It's a manageable cost/high excitement series," Tamiya says. I think it used to say low budget. In observing several TCS races and reading this forum it's my conclusion that the TCS is a great series with a lot of loyal Tamiya racers, and fun but my idea of manageable costs is not the same as many TCS racers. I think that's fine but the higher the cost of cars, tires, batteries, travel, etc. may lead to smaller numbers of racers.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This bickering over tires is getting way out of hand.

For regionals - I never used more than one new set of tires per regional and I won way more than my fair share of regionals. The times I didn't win - I never blamed it on tires.

Hell - has anyone ever seen Juan Aveytia's car/tires during regionals? Those tires almost always have the belt showing and he's able to win with those.

Quit whining or TCS will go away like the dodo bird.

Tamiya used to send teams from North America, Australia, Asia and Japan. By 2008, both Australia and Europe have been cut. Let's make sure North America doesn't go on the chopping block.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Of course if THE nats are at Aliso in 09 and I am able to make it, I will run F1 , so I can probably go all weekend on 2 sets of foams, and maybe 1 for practice days. The last nats I went to , I think I took 4 sets of B3s, and 2 sets of A's. I still have all of them and would definitely run them again, just dont know how fast they would be
Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Just enjoy the fact that we sill have the only RC company that started the whole sedan racing and still supports a series like the TCS. Go racing and have fun, If it is that important to spend 400+ dollars in tires and cheat to win a $150.00 TAMTECH car and go to sleep at night knowing you didn't win it fair and square, so be it.
See most of you guys at Trackside in March.
As for the locals- see you at Larry's next Friday.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C5R01
Just enjoy the fact that we sill have the only RC company that started the whole sedan racing and still supports a series like the TCS. Go racing and have fun, If it is that important to spend 400+ dollars in tires and cheat to win a $150.00 TAMTECH car and go to sleep at night knowing you didn't win it fair and square, so be it.
See most of you guys at Trackside in March.
As for the locals- see you at Larry's next Friday.
See what all the whining did, you woke the Warren
Hey Chris, your Voicemailbox is full just in case you didnt know
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
See what all the whining did, you woke the Warren
Hey Chris, your Voicemailbox is full just in case you didnt know
Yea, I can get in to clear it. Going over to the " can you hear me now" idiots tomorrow to try to retrive them.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
Again, not enough staffing to do tire tech ESPECIALLY at a regional .
I have kept saying tech for Nats NOT regionals.
Primary is for the reasons you listed.
Maybe other guys have asperations for tech tire at every race, which would not work and be a mistake.

This perceived "bickering" about tires is just one of many issues that can be discussed here to keep the excitement level up for the 1st race in 09. If Tamiya reads this thread and responds to the statements or comments, that great for us. I think Tamiya is mature enough to take into consideration past and present discussions about ideas or rules and implement what they deem best for the series. I am happy they did get the rules out in October which gives all of us a jump on the rules and preparing for that 1st TCS race in 09.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Must be nice to have such disposable income. I'm in it for fun... not to blow all my money. Pros get stuff for free.. I don't! Running one set of tires for 5 minutes is insane. As for being lazy.... I dont tan well and can't be in the sun all day .. even under a tent! If it were to snow out there .. (thats the white stuff that falls from the sky when its cold, not the stuff that goes up your nose ) which you apparently have enough cash to do as well as blowinf coin on tires. This is supposed to be fun. Not about who has the most money!
I guess you must think all us West Cost people are crazed drug addicts. No, I don't blow snow, in my nose or off my driveway. You know what, I do have fun, and I don't whine about the costs all the time like some do. If you can't afford the hobby, don't join. I didn't start playing ice hockey until I was 31 because as a single parent, my mom could not afford the gear for me. When I could afford it myself, I finally got into the game so I guess you could say I do play in the snow every week, You know, that white stuff on the ground. It's what I clean out of my goal crease. Was I always whining about "how expensive" the sport was and how it was unfair that others could buy better gear than me ? Nope, I loved playing the game and as I could afford better gear, I did. Oh yeah, and I enjoyed beating guys who did have better equipment. I guess talent does still come into play in hockey as well as R/C cars. If you are in it for "fun" than why are you worried about having to spend more to win ? Or did you grow up learning "everybody is a winner and no one is a loser" and expect to always win no matter how much or how little time and money you put into your "hobby". BTW - I wonder how many people in R/C racing blow more in one weekend on beer or soft drinks than I do in a week on tires ? Humm, guess it all depends on where one chooses to spend there money. So, I guess you can see if that fits up your nose.

Every year I have been on RC Tech, I hear the same "we need to limit tires" for TCS "issue" brought up this time of year. Plain and simple, it's an old and tired subject that a lot of people get tired of hearing every year that is brought backup by the same few people. You can keep beating a dead horse and it is not going to come to life.

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 11-06-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
If you are in it for "fun" than why are you worried about having to spend more to win ?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Like I have said in the past

Here is the hot ticket for tire management for the TCS Regional/National at Aliso Viejo for any GT class. All you need is 5 sets if the weather is typical.

Set 1-Practice
Set 2-Q1
Set 2-Q2
Set 3-Q3 @ Happy Hour
Set 3-Q4 time to protect your TQ or use your 4th set to make it in to the show
Set 4-A1
Set 5-A2
Set 4/5-A3

All I got to say the insert of choice is "pink"
premounted handout tires with the recommended insert. thanks for volunteering to glue up all those tires george!

ill take 14 sets for nationals please. :lo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.