Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-05-2008, 07:26 AM
  #9541  
Doc
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 211
Default

Bradboy, you Doodscicle! Reports are the hauler was stolen, by 4 dazzling Detroit urbanites, trying to start their own team. They're gonna call it "DishWipple Racing,starring Mrod and BaaadboyBrad". It'll be a combo pretty-boy band and RC racing extravaganza! If we're lucky, they will debut at trackside in March. Can't wait!

My 103's built, tested and raced. Finished 2nd @the Canadian TCS Nationals in July. Ran my 10 year old Sauber body from 98 Nationals.


Got me a beauty of a bowling trophy!


bruce
Doc is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
  #9542  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Doc
Bradboy, you Doodscicle! Reports are the hauler was stolen, by 4 dazzling Detroit urbanites, trying to start their own team. They're gonna call it "DishWipple Racing,starring Mrod and BaaadboyBrad". It'll be a combo pretty-boy band and RC racing extravaganza! If we're lucky, they will debut at trackside in March.
U r in true form Doc! I am going to have to get them with that one this friday at Larry's ....

New Race Car..... $106
Painted body.......$40
sence of humor.... $0.00
New Nick Name for 4 racin' Buddies...... PRICELESS!
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 AM
  #9543  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Lack of a tire limit rule has NOTHING to do with us trying to promote our product. The reality is we do not have the staffing at Tamiya America to run a race and limit tires like this, let alone some of the other facilities we go to with even less staffing. Sounds like a good idea only at Nats right? Well think about it. Motor rules, pre and post tech, and tack on tire rules...tech would take 1 driver 15 minutes and we would need 3-4 days to run.

We used to have premounted B3 tires, but with those no longer produced, it makes that idea even tougher. We can mark motors quick enough, but we can't sit around making tires sets and marking them, there is simply not enough time or people. If we could, we would, but we cannot do anything about a tire limit at this point in time.

Ideal worlds are nice to think about but due to many other factors, it is just not realistic currently. As a former racer, I understand and wish we could. My tire budget was $400 as a couple events and all I got was B-Main.
AWK is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 AM
  #9544  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

TIRE TECH IS SIMPLE...JUST MARK THEM WITH A PAINT PEN. SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ORDINARY COLORS. LIKE MOAVE..LOL
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
  #9545  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I guess that why i dont run outside .
I went to modesto CA one year and fried a set of tires every run.. thats just rediculous. $40 for 5 mins.... thats not racing. thats stupid!
No, that is racing. You have just gotten lazy running carpet tracks. For those of us who don't have carpet tracks around (most of California), we can buy tires or give up the sport. I guess that ia why it is mostly Midwest and East Coast people that complain about having to buy tires for the Tamiya Nats. You are fortunate enough to run a surface that tires last much longer. Then again, did the A main guys at the IIC carpet race run three or four run tires ? Even the top foam guys run true there tires down so they can only get one run per tire.

I don't think "PRO" National and International drivers are worried about the cost of one run tires. They spend more on their practice tires than they do on race tires. If you are worried about the cost of tires, save those one runs for next years regionals or practice. You would have to buy them anyway. Or does that become a "non-competitive advatage" running used tires at regionals now ? I am using all my B-3's left over from this years regionals and Nationals for practice and testing. If I didn't have the used tires, I would be buying new tires to practice and race. So, where is the cost savings again ?

The "picture" of all the tires being glued that people keep liking to bring up was of my pit table at the Tamiya R&D Track Regional. Oh yeah, I was gluing tires for myself, Nemo and Chien-Hwa. Nemo and I were running GT-2 and GT-3 and Chien-Hwa was running GT-2. I think people love to assume people have million dollar budgets for tires and are "buying" there victoriesand that is why they are faster. Yeah, there was about five sets being glued, for five cars, running 3 qualifiers and triple A mains for that weekend. So doing the math since we were all in the A for all five cars, that was 30 races total we ran.

So if spending money on tires is not in the "spirit" of this series, what is people tweakiing motors and selling a $ 15.00 motor for $ 45.00 or more considered ? And how many of these motors do you have to have at a race to be competitive ? Heck at least two since you can melt one by accident. This is racing so people will spend more money on whatever they feel to gain any advantage they can. I guess "testing budgets" will be the next issue to be brought up as driving people out of this series with it's "high cost".
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
  #9546  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
No, that is racing. You have just gotten lazy running carpet tracks. For those of us who don't have carpet tracks around (most of California), we can buy tires or give up the sport. I guess that ia why it is mostly Midwest and East Coast people that complain about having to buy tires for the Tamiya Nats. You are fortunate enough to run a surface that tires last much longer. Then again, did the A main guys at the IIC carpet race run three or four run tires ? Even the top foam guys run true there tires down so they can only get one run per tire.

I don't think "PRO" National and International drivers are worried about the cost of one run tires. They spend more on their practice tires than they do on race tires. If you are worried about the cost of tires, save those one runs for next years regionals or practice. You would have to buy them anyway. Or does that become a "non-competitive advatage" running used tires at regionals now ? I am using all my B-3's left over from this years regionals and Nationals for practice and testing. If I didn't have the used tires, I would be buying new tires to practice and race. So, where is the cost savings again ?

The "picture" of all the tires being glued that people keep liking to bring up was of my pit table at the Tamiya R&D Track Regional. Oh yeah, I was gluing tires for myself, Nemo and Chien-Hwa. Nemo and I were running GT-2 and GT-3 and Chien-Hwa was running GT-2. I think people love to assume people have million dollar budgets for tires and are "buying" there victoriesand that is why they are faster. Yeah, there was about five sets being glued, for five cars, running 3 qualifiers and triple A mains for that weekend. So doing the math since we were all in the A for all five cars, that was 30 races total we ran.

So if spending money on tires is not in the "spirit" of this series, what is people tweakiing motors and selling a $ 15.00 motor for $ 45.00 or more considered ? And how many of these motors do you have to have at a race to be competitive ? Heck at least two since you can melt one by accident. This is racing so people will spend more money on whatever they feel to gain any advantage they can. I guess "testing budgets" will be the next issue to be brought up as driving people out of this series with it's "high cost".
Must be nice to have such disposable income. I'm in it for fun... not to blow all my money. Pros get stuff for free.. I don't! Running one set of tires for 5 minutes is insane. As for being lazy.... I dont tan well and can't be in the sun all day .. even under a tent! If it were to snow out there .. (thats the white stuff that falls from the sky when its cold, not the stuff that goes up your nose ) which you apparently have enough cash to do as well as blowinf coin on tires. This is supposed to be fun. Not about who has the most money!
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
  #9547  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

The more it cost to patricipate the less people will be involved, whether it's tires or something else. In today's economy with the cost of travel to participate cost saving measures would be welcomed by some of us.
MD is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
  #9548  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Wow,

I understood you go through a lot of tires to find the right tire/insert/track condition combo, and that you might have some different ones on hand as the race conditions change, but man, I had no idea people were spending this much.

So 3 qualifiers, 3 mains, $40/set is about $240; how are people spending almost twice that amount? New every practice as well?

I can understand if your at the elite of your class that spending $250 for a big meet is not out of line for competing at the top level; good thing I'm not discouraged by being in the B or C mains and am still having fun.
RaceBucks is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM
  #9549  
Doc
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 211
Default

Gosh, well-structured objective reasoning and I just can't seem to find any argument against it.

OK, you sold me -- I'm in!! New tires every round for me!!!
Doc is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
  #9550  
Tech Addict
 
gtypecanare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 534
Default

Ancient proverb says:
“Train like you fight and fight like you train”

Period end of lesson.
gtypecanare is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
  #9551  
Tech Addict
 
gtypecanare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 534
Default

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
TIRE TECH IS SIMPLE...JUST MARK THEM WITH A PAINT PEN. SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ORDINARY COLORS. LIKE MOAVE..LOL
I'm for serialized security tags for the wheel/tire tech.

no tag thru pre-race tech, welcome to the world of DNS (Did Not Start).
gtypecanare is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
  #9552  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
I'm for serialized security tags for the wheel/tire tech.

no tag thru pre-race tech, welcome to the world of DNS (Did Not Start).
I dont disagree one bit with that idea, but how do you keep them from swappin tags between tires?
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
  #9553  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
minimusprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: OC CA
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

i remember a race in particular when i was still racing with my dad. I think it was the roar on road nats in huston in like 98 or 99. We were going through a set of proline s2's every single run. Track temp was something like 145 degrees or something crazy. at the time running any other tire or even used s2's took like a second off each lap time.

my dad was so pissed. I didn't have a sponsor at the time and i was running a tire bill that was in the 500 dollar range and we weren't even through with the weekend yet. I remember I leaned over to him and said... so pops... we spent how much on plane tickets and fresh new cars and hotels and meals and what the heck ever else to get here... and you're complaining about a few hundred bucks in tires so we can be competitive?

he looked over at me... and simply said. you know what erik... you're right. go get me another 3 sets.

some times racing is what it is and there is no way around it. Am i pleased that i will be spending 300 bux on tires for next years tcs nats? no... but if i hated it that bad i just wouldn't go.
minimusprime is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
  #9554  
Tech Addict
 
gtypecanare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 534
Default

Just like the Reedy Race tech procedures
gtypecanare is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
  #9555  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,300
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

I'm guessing that all of this would be null if the Nats were not at the Tamiya America track this year...
Core Creations is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.