Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I agree with A-Ko. I was surprised that the stock class was eliminated. Since it is usually a bigger class where ever I have raced including the stock class. I understand the logic of making GT2 similar to the motor requirements for the nationals and the worlds. But, if that's the case why not make a sport tuned class for those interested in running nationals. But, I am glad that the rules are out early and I applaud Fred and Tamiya for doing so. I am glad there will continued to be a TCS.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

10.5 is much faster than 19t. Every race I have been to the cars are on a par with mod motors. At the last Novak race, 10.5 was .2 slower than mod on hot lap.

13.5 is a bit slower than 19t, but faster than stock.

At the ROAR nationals last spring, 17.5 and 27t turn was mixed. 17.5 was slower, but not by much. Certainly not to the point where stock motors would be close to 13.5.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
10.5 is much faster than 19t.
For on-road, yes. I wish Tamiya would have considered that for off-road though, but I am certainly glad it is offered again! A 10.5 brushless motor is VERY similar in performance to a well-tuned 19 turn brushed motor, again, for off-road. Not a big deal though... I will throw a 13.5 in my 501 for Trackside TCS and gear the $H1Z out of it!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
I would have to agree
GT3=Silver Can
GT2=17.5
GT1=13.5

Dave
+1

There seems to be some confusion. For 2009, ROAR SuperStock will be 13.5 ONLY. ROAR currently classifies 10.5 and 19T as "near" equivalents. Both go to MOD in 2009 for ROAR. There is no brushed motor equivalent to a 13.5. Our testing shows that an average tuned 19T has the torque of a 13.5 and the high RPM of a 10.5.

Allowing 19T to run with 13.5 in TCS GT1 creates a loophole in the rules. All this motor controversy should be kept out of GT1. A tuned 19T will beat a 13.5 all day long. Hopefully, this gets sorted out before Trackside. Otherwise, we will be bringing our trusty comm lathe .
Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

randy can win with a 13.5, just as long as you guys spend time on ur cars and practicing skills over posting skills

R
Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
+1

There seems to be some confusion. For 2009, ROAR SuperStock will be 13.5 ONLY. ROAR currently classifies 10.5 and 19T as "near" equivalents. Both go to MOD in 2009 for ROAR. There is no brushed motor equivalent to a 13.5. Our testing shows that an average tuned 19T has the torque of a 13.5 and the high RPM of a 10.5.

Allowing 19T to run with 13.5 in TCS GT1 creates a loophole in the rules. All this motor controversy should be kept out of GT1. A tuned 19T will beat a 13.5 all day long. Hopefully, this gets sorted out before Trackside. Otherwise, we will be bringing our trusty comm lathe .
I'm just trying to avoid gearing up for 19 at SIR then having the class moved back to 13.5 only when everyone realizes the speed difference. I just don't want to do all the tuning work only to have it changed at the last minute with a "we had no idea they were so much faster" excuse. We're telling you guys it's faster.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
randy can win with a 13.5, just as long as you guys spend time on ur cars and practicing skills over posting skills

R
Thanks for the advice. Just want to share thoughts with fellow TCS racers.

Originally Posted by westerdude42
I'm just trying to avoid gearing up for 19 at SIR then having the class moved back to 13.5 only when everyone realizes the speed difference. I just don't want to do all the tuning work only to have it changed at the last minute with a "we had no idea they were so much faster" excuse. We're telling you guys it's faster.
Glad to see rules out early. A 19T, Hara Twister ESC, and a LiPo should make a nice 1350 gram TRF416.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
+1

R
Ed, where ( carpet asphalt ) was the testing done? Car? Battery? gearing/etc.. I thought that the 10.5 was in the same class as the 19 turn, 17.5 and 27 turn was the same and the 13.5 was in between them.... I know Rod M. did a lot of testing for the Trans-Am Class...

Ryan, you be nice now. Randy is an excellent driver and getting better all the time.. I did see Ed wheel a car last Saturday and hoping to see him start racing "officialy" soon.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 AM

rick tellin some1 to be nice. ugh :scratches head:

the guy is so enthusiastic bout this stuff in his post, he doesnt need to share his thoughts, their public record! Its what happens when your a rctech addict!

you all get in a tizzy over the rules for NEXT year, but if they dont return to MD in 09...it'll all not mean a darn thing.

R
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So let me see .... brand new B3's are three tenths faster than used ones and we did about 25 laps at Scotty's (Awesome TRACK BTW) Doing the math and adding new tires ..... .3x25=7.5seconds... I should have been on pole! But something tells me traction came up and all you really needed to do is address the car .. not the tires .. i never really got to compare my lap times from the one time i ran it with new tires . But I can tell you that friday I practiced about 40 times. And I used the same tires all weekend. Seems to me too many people are taking racing way too seriously. Ok so I made the "A" and came in 3rd in one of the tripple mains. My point is I had fun (and only used one set of tires all weekend) No one pays me to race .. nor am I worried about winning a trip to Japan. It would have been nice though.
When I raced shifter carts we used the hardest coumpound and had to use then till race officials deemed them as worn out! That kept the rich from whoopin' on the not so rich. I think 2 sets of B3's for the weekend would be plenty .... even if you save one set for the main. Everyone on Jack the gripper was nice too.... I hate wintergreen>
Old 11-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
So let me see .... brand new B3's are three tenths faster than used ones and we did about 25 laps at Scotty's (Awesome TRACK BTW) Doing the math and adding new tires ..... .3x25=7.5seconds... I should have been on pole! But something tells me traction came up and all you really needed to do is address the car .. not the tires .. i never really got to compare my lap times from the one time i ran it with new tires . But I can tell you that friday I practiced about 40 times. And I used the same tires all weekend. Seems to me too many people are taking racing way too seriously. Ok so I made the "A" and came in 3rd in one of the tripple mains. My point is I had fun (and only used one set of tires all weekend) No one pays me to race .. nor am I worried about winning a trip to Japan. It would have been nice though.
When I raced shifter carts we used the hardest coumpound and had to use then till race officials deemed them as worn out! That kept the rich from whoopin' on the not so rich. I think 2 sets of B3's for the weekend would be plenty .... even if you save one set for the main. Everyone on Jack the gripper was nice too.... I hate wintergreen>
John,
I dont disagree with anything you said, but they are talking outdoors. If maintained properly the A's we ran at Trackside would go probably 2 or 3 race weekends, even if they were just practice tires. The Tamiya track is hard on tires, especially in GT1. New tires are an advantage out there, but IMO only for the nats. If this is a true hobbyist series, then you should not have a $200 tire bill for a regional. Which brings me to my other point, the way that I see it, the rules are the way they are to keep this a hobbyist series. Keep the speed down, keep the cost down. Tamiya is in this to make money without a doubt, but I think even they realize that no one should go broke trying to compete. I like the speed of 10.5, but I think you will see better racing with the 13.5, with less carnage.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
the way that I see it, the rules are the way they are to keep this a hobbyist series. Keep the speed down, keep the cost down. Tamiya is in this to make money without a doubt, but I think even they realize that no one should go broke trying to compete. I like the speed of 10.5, but I think you will see better racing with the 13.5, with less carnage.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too perfer the 10.5. But 13.5 seems to be what everyones gonna be running. Hopefully there will be some other class like world gt and a single cell lipo with a 10.5 ... wouldnt that be sweet ?!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Vintage Rick King.

just had to
Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Vintage Rick King.

just had to
But you can never remember the guy holding his head...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.