Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Initiate

I am the Asst. Cubmaster for a Cub Scout pack (60 boys, grades 1-6) here in Cincinnati. Last week at our monthly Pack meeting, we did a demo of rc vehicles. Myself and another local racer brought about 7 vehicles to our meeting. We had minis, TL-01, FF-01, TB-02, RC10-T3, Losi Slider and a few Traxxus trucks. After a short intro to RC and explanation of the controls, the boys were running the cars in a 40 X 40 area. After about an 1 - 1.5 hours, we only had one truck that was not running because of damage. The idea was to promote the sport and bring in some new blood. The whole thing went quite well and there seems to be some definite interest. If this sport is going to continue to grow, these are the types of things that people and companies need to do to promote the love of RC. Tamiya has an excellent opportunity, with the TCS races, to develop more interest and more business from tapping into schools and Scouts.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by breakerczar
I am the Asst. Cubmaster for a Cub Scout pack (60 boys, grades 1-6) here in Cincinnati. .........<snip>....... these are the types of things that people and companies need to do to promote the love of RC. Tamiya has an excellent opportunity, with the TCS races, to develop more interest and more business from tapping into schools and Scouts.
Would RC count in anyway towards a merit badge? How about if it was made into a team event where 3 kids get together and build a car. Each team member runs one heat and a team is scored using TCS rules? The team buys the kit from Tamiya at the event and Tamiya provides a hand out Tx/Rx if they don't have one. This would make a great way to fill up the spec/novice class. I would imagine that TCS racers would have no problem volunteering as team advisors.

If 4 troops each came up with 3 teams, Tamiya could make 36 new RC addicts at each regional event.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default F-1 Champs

Originally Posted by hickmeister
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TCS RANKING SYSTEM???

Since F1 is coming back why don't we have a TCS National Championship which translate into a points system which accumulates just like the FIA does in F! 10 pts, for 1st 8 pts for 2nd etc,etc,etc, thru 8Th place and extra points for TQ in each class?? That will get some of the LOCAL PROFFESSIONALS that like to go only to there local home track that they have been running pack after pack and 100,000 laps at and get them to attend some other races around the USA??? After all that would be a true North American Champion not based on just 1 National race it would award a consistent top podium winner the title of TCS CHAMPION????
JUST THINKING WITHOUT PREPERATION H????

I hope that stirs it up a little?
SH
I think a National Championship for F-1 cars is a great idea! I have been involved with several race sponsorships over the years( 2008 F-1 at the Snowbirds, 2007 Alpha Cup Race, and 2007 and 2008 F-1 Builders Cup) and would gladly contribute a Skip Barber Certificate so the winner could try a 1:1 scale ride in a formula car. Is there any interest on Tamiya's part? Andy Wallace
Old 09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

BTW- We have had scout troops and church groups in for a night at the local track and it seems to get some new racers.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TCS RANKING SYSTEM???

Since F1 is coming back why don't we have a TCS National Championship which translate into a points system which accumulates just like the FIA does in F! 10 pts, for 1st 8 pts for 2nd etc,etc,etc, thru 8Th place and extra points for TQ in each class?? That will get some of the LOCAL PROFFESSIONALS that like to go only to there local home track that they have been running pack after pack and 100,000 laps at and get them to attend some other races around the USA??? After all that would be a true North American Champion not based on just 1 National race it would award a consistent top podium winner the title of TCS CHAMPION????
JUST THINKING WITHOUT PREPERATION H????

I hope that stirs it up a little?
SH
Altough wouldn't it reward the one with the most money (traveling expenses) is the winner?

The Pack after pack argument , sure there might be a slight advantage but I am sure Crabtree, Yu, Weir, Garber, Wippler, Crisp or even 1/2 of the Hickman hauler, to name a few did not have that advantage, they just put in the work at home and hit the setup. Don't forget the locals are more numerous than outta townies so, numbers ratio might be a little misleading.

Altough I hope once the Tamiya track is sold, the Nationals goes on tour around the country.

I do wish they would have a presort for the regional races/ nationals so you don't have to deal with drivers outside your level in qualifying. . .
Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko

I do wish they would have a presort for the regional races/ nationals so you don't have to deal with drivers outside your level in qualifying. . .
The last few years Fred has sorted the Nats quailifiers based on your regional finish(s).

Jeff, we missed you again this year in Aliso......

Marty
Old 09-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
The last few years Fred has sorted the Nats quailifiers based on your regional finish(s).

Marty

I did not know? I heard rumblings but never knew if, it happened? Although doesn't the scoring software allow ranking? I know locally we are talking about using it but then again I never needed to learn the software to know how the ranking in the software works. To have a pre-race sort might simplify and eliminate the need for a re-sort after round 1.

I don't think you will miss me next year. . . . . . . . . .
Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH

Marty
Not true. In 2007, Kevin Smith and I had two rookies in our GT-2 qualifers that we lapped 5 times in an 18 lap race which hurt our Q1 and Q2 results. We were both A-main regional qualifiers. What helped most this year in GT-2 was having the Novice class so they were not running in GT-2. However, there were still some lower skilled drivers in some first and second qualifers with some real fast guys this year.

Alphacat - if old SCCA sedan racers are still eligible, I will make sure Tamiya is interested.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
We were both A-main regional qualifiers.
Sure Kev, blame it on the rookies, maybe that is why you claim you are what you say above.. because you were playing with rookies

Hey buuuudddddyyy, where is my list (kiss-up)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Sure Kev, blame it on the rookies, maybe that is why you claim you are what you say above.. because you were playing with rookies

Hey buuuudddddyyy, where is my list (kiss-up)
List ? What list ? Will get it to you soon....
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Kevin, It would have to be SCCA sedans.....I am way too fat to fit back in a Formula Ford!!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alphacat
Kevin, It would have to be SCCA sedans.....I am way too fat to fit back in a Formula Ford!!
Just had a blast at the Seven Stock event at Mazda HQ in Irvine. A guy who has a local parking lot series set up an R/C event for Mazda bodies only. It was great to see a lot of old racing friends again and had fun painting up an ABC Hobbies Mazda Savannah RX-3 body set just like my old GT-3 car for concourse.

Izzy - check your PM' shortly.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kevin... make sure to give Izzy the wrong list! I don't want him to have any advantage on me...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eeyan
Kevin... make sure to give Izzy the wrong list! I don't want him to have any advantage on me...
The List:

Kevin wants to spank eeyans butt, but Kevin is unaware that eeyan already spank his butt. So they decide to spank each others butt. And they were happy!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Izzy... I know we both were born in the same country and technically, we both speak fluent chicken talk... but how come sometimes, I still don't understand what you are saying? Butt spanking? I warned you to stop watching those movies... too late, your mind's messed up now...

Back to topic... so is the TCS still going on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.