Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree795Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 106 (99%+)

I am running the same way as you Chris....I thought I was in the lead......

Last edited by lbckevin; 08-26-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

GT1 A3... Steve's win already locked up.

Damn who lined these cars up?!?!? Whoever that guy is... he's GOOD!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Tamiya and the tech crew for a fun weekend !
Izzy was starring at me putting on my motors all day long.

And Congrat to all the winners especially Nemo racing, he had been working very hard for the past year for this. So please pick up some nice limited edition parts for me from Tamiya Japan.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
I'm trying to decide whether to go back to my old Orion 3200 or just stay with the 2400s I got at the race. Thanks in advance!
Use them both and just add 1 1/4 oz wt to the 2400. Th 3200 may have a little more punch, but most drivers won't be able to tell the difference. We only run 5 min races and usually use less than 900 mah in a race. For average racers like you and me theres no significant difference
Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Granpa. BTW it was great meeting you at the race. Thanks for all the tips and advice!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
seeing Izzy post on here is like DEJA VU.
Who needs CD? If we can have Holly for $20...

BTW... anybody know where to apply for the FBI's witness protection program? My sleep have been cut down to 3 hrs each night and I've been checking my back eversince "that" incident... Tech is such a dangerous job!

Oh yeah, I hope I get promoted to Lieutenant tech next time... those TRF polo shirts look way much cooler than ordinary t-shirts.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
xxxxx,
There were several of us who remember a certain racer back in the March Aliso regional that put an extra magnet in their silvercan. That racer got to finish the day. Don't you think he should have been DQ'ed from that event?

You know what they say about people who live in glass houses?
Things that make you go Hmmm.....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will have the results posted for the 1st Annual Team A-ko T-shirt give-away once the official results are posted.

In thinking a little about the BL vs johnson/mabuchi issue, there are no real solutions at the moment. I understand where Gary is going and how GT3 has turned into a circus of motor tweaks and BL could be the great savior. I don't think going BL will change anything other than force people into a more expensive corner in seeking an advantage. No 17.5 is manufactured alike and one company can be better than another. Just hope you don't get the other company. Also as Grandpa eluded to tech could turn into a more difficult process.

What is the solution? Find a motor that is tamper proof. I know there is a newer Johnson/mabuchi that has a ceramic piece on the arm by the solder tabs. I don't know if that is tamper proof, it could be a start. Or have an arm like the Sport Tuned in a Johnson type of can, although that does not change much.

The best solution is for Tamiya to create a few BL motors that are sealed and tamper proof. The only thing available in maintenance is to flush the bearings out. Then you can use any esc and not worry about a motor issue. Then they could leave brushed motors in spec and for beginners.

I don't think TCS would go all BL (unless they had their own type). If they did it would eliminate another sale that they would not have to help expenses, especially at the Nats.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Things that make you go Hmmm.....
I was wondering who was the original Magnet Man was.
He was still able to race at the Nationals?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Sounds like the cheaters beat the system......

I remember when cheaters were actually held accountable for their actions...

Just another reason why this hobby is in a slow death spiral......

And I really did think the TCS would be the last place cheating would be a problem...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Said it before and I'll say it again.

A simple RPM limit in the range of 100 RPM @ 5 volts more than what Grandpa found these non molested motors to be will solve the issue and help speed the race tech process.

Just imagine this suggestion if you will.....

Tamiya checks a dozen or so motors from the "batch" They set an RPM limit very close to to the top dogs, say within 100 RPM. The same motor lead rules apply as what was present at Nats. You buy your motor and take it to the pits. You have the option of having your motor tested right out of the box at tech before you take it to the pits. If it is over the limit right out of the box, you can get another in trade. This option is only available as you recieve your motor out of the box. Once the motor leaves the tech table, you own it, no trade ins. The same two motors per car limits stays the same.

You can do whatever you wish to your motor, just remember you, can't increase performance past the RPM @ 5 volts limit.

Your heat/race comes up and you go to tech. Do the normal car/battery/motor number check at tech. You see how much easier the Tech job is allready.

Run the heat/race. The fastest guys from the round must submit to a post race motor check. No more hassle than removing the motor at tech for those few than what ALL the racers did at Nats. Any car spotted to be extra fast could also be spot checked at the race directors request. After testing, post the teched motors numbers for all to see. All above board with no possibility of favorites.

If a motor exceeds the RPM limit, that racers last run that the motor was used in is DQ'd. He can continue to race his other heats/races as his 'fast' motor gained him NO ADVANTAGE, and provides the disadvantage of a lost qualifier/main run.

A key note: there is no wasted trips to the race event and no bruised reputations. A fair and even playing field is provided for all with a low enough RPM limit that prevents VOO DOO, top secret, proprietary motor tweeking to gain an advantage. There are no longer any valid accusations of illegal motor tampering. Any questions arise, the proof is in the post heat/race motor tech. Very simple to check to, get this, "A STANDARD".

All racers could have their motors checked before they raced and know where their motor stood.

If you got a dud, you most likely could resurect it to close to the standard. Remember, Grandpa posted the motors were all within 300 RPM of each other.

I'm sure there are possible variations to these guidelines that would yield the same or better results. I guess we have about ten months to discuss them and provide constructive suggestions to Tamiya.

I offer this only as a suggestion to ponder in the coming months. Going all brushless has a few advantanges, but to me it just does not feel or sound like the right thing for Tamiya to have for the TCS events.

In summary, The Nationals were well run with less than the usual motor issues encountered in the past.

THE EVENT WORKED WELL and Fred and Tamiya America should be commended for responding to the racers concerns from the past in a well organized fashion that yielded good results

If you attended this event and did not have a great weekend, well then, you were trying too hard to have a bad time.

My son Paul and I had a great time and enjoyed seeing all our racing friends again. See you at next years Nats!

Marty
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chef88
I was wondering who was the original Magnet Man was.
He was still able to race at the Nationals?
The one from March was allowed to compete at nationals
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Marty, that was a well reasoned and thoughtful argument. The figures I posted were taken right after I got home from the Nats were done Quickly and when I was dog tired. retested them all this afternoon in more controlled conditions and tthe results were approximately the same. The motors tested were all taken out of the cars after the event and had all been run in races.

There was one motor much slower and that tached 10,950 @ 5v
Six others tached 11,200 to 11,420 @5v
One was better than the rest 11580 @5v

Six of the motors had been thru 4 Qualifiers and a Main. The dud had been thru 2 Qualifiers. The fastest motor had been run in One qualifier and a Main. There is justice in the world after all as the racer who had the dud also had the best one.

I suspect that a motor that goes thru 4 Qualifiers and a Triple Main will pick up 4-600 rpm from brand new out of the box. That's a question left to better qualified people than me.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Granpa
Marty, that was a well reasoned and thoughtful argument.
As I stated, it is mearly a suggestion, not an argument or complaint.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

hello everyone

Dylan doesn't go on here so he told me that he would like to thank all of you for coming out for another TCS nationals in our home town. It was great to see everyone again.

This weekends race was the purest display of spec racing that i have ever seen, read or heard about. It was one of the funnest races i've been to in a long time. Fred's racing format was absolutly flawless. And i was very impressed when he was ballsy enough to send people home. If definatly made it a much more enjoyable environment knowing that there was no way that anyone was going to have an unfair advantage.

And the Team Orion Lipo batteries are the best thing to happen to spec racing. Everyone ran a weekend race an just one $25 battery. And the pack lasts you a lifetime, not for just one weekend.

Congrats to Steve and Tony. You both deserved it. We should do pretty well in japan. And i hope you guys like to party. Last year there were hardly any sober moments for me and big rig.

And last but not least i would like to thank everyone for not acusing me and my family of cheating this year.

oh and brandon, the offer still stands. and after i'm done setting up your car Dylan can teach you how to drive. As they say in japan "Mada Mada Dane"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.