Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

tyreguy, check out this link and try the recommended setup. if you're running on carpet, maybe try lengthening the rear shocks to about 58mm to start.

As for the TCS race this weekend, I have to say it was a great time (even though i screwed the pooch in the D main...). But the group of racers were awesome and Fred and his crew put on a great show. Hopefully see you all next year (and do SLIGHTLY better)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

This was the first TCS Nationals event I've attended and was impressed with how smoothly everything went. There were a few glitches and delays, but considering the efforts made to see that everyone got a "fair" shake on the motors, it seemed to go as well as could have been expected. There were a few dramas, but since most of us have very little idea as to what the circumstances were, IMO, the less said the better.

The efforts made to level the playing field as far as motors went made for some of the closest and competitive racing that a lot of the more experienced racers said they've seen. All in all, it was a fun experience.

What was really amusing was the almost universal complaint was how each of the individual racers felt that they had a slower motor than everyone else. Since I have some decent motor testing equipment, I wound up with eight motors fellow racers asked to have tested. The variation between the best and the worst was 300 rpm at 5v. Six of the motors were within 200 rpms. One was 100 rpm down on all the others. However, there was one motor that was better by 250 rpms so it fell outside of the 300 rpm variation. To make it a true blind test, I have no idea as to which motor belonged to whom. Also, since I just got home and was "dog tired" this was just a quick check and all motors were checked "as is". More accurate dyno testing will be done later in the week.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

This was my first TCS and I really had a good time. Much better than my ROAR experience. I will put this on my annual to do list. The tech was smooth and fair the stories about the guy with the magnet in his pocket were classic (his pocket stuck to a metal pole he was walking by) all I can say is KARMA!
Mini was awsome and the SoCal guys were really hospitable and helpfull.
Thanks to Tamiya for putting on a great show.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I heard;
1 person for having a magnet in his pocket was DQed.
Another person left tech with his motor and pleaded ignorance and won his case and the trip. (there were rumblings of boycott)
There were a few others that had their wrists slapped on Sat.
Heard Fred even threaten the mini drivers about tearing down and inspecting for extra magnets in the mains.

I don't envy Fred/Tech's position but wish the rules were more black and white especially for the Nationals! Tough love is tough love and might actually give the culprit more character.

On the flips side congrats to all the winners and safe trip to everyone getting home.
I agree totaly with everthing on this post.
There should not be slaps on the wrist & others sent home. It's not a average club race. The Mini field of drivers were very talented I'm sure.
There should never be a double standard, especially in big races.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

So was magnet man well known or a nobody? Nobody wants to fess up?

And on equal power with the handout motors/batts....hopefully Tamiya will catch on to the Lipo heating that's going on too.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
So was magnet man well known or a nobody? Nobody wants to fess up?

And on equal power with the handout motors/batts....hopefully Tamiya will catch on to the Lipo heating that's going on too.
Magnet Man?
It would be hard to prove just how many there were.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mini coopers/motor performance tips.... SOme legal some not...
Magnets on silver cans....
Oil based lube with mercury: ( I have some left over from 1968 before it was banned ) Put a touch on a clean comm and add 4-600 rpms. Plus on the bearings and the rear wheels have little or no friction.. Better than silicon...
Ball diff: Used Serpent Nitro grease and it can move but once it heats up its like a solid axle in front.
A tie-rap on the servo "towers so they don't bend.
A small piece of metal tubing over the stock servo saver so that it is locked in place.

Now, the credibility is at stake with Tamiya if some one broke the rules and still won the trip to Japan. I find it hard to believe that some one would break the rules and then plead ingrorance. I've been hard on Tamiya recently but this has nothing to do with them. The race director and officials are the ones that make the right call...
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well well well well a good year of nationals I am hurt that no one picked me to win mini (Brandon Koslosky) but thats ok I am over it . Congrats to the winners dylan ran good in mini but I had a tough time in round two and round three we had a restart and as you will soon find out I got second and kody placed third. The mini and GT2 teching was good and we went through some learning curves with how to do it. Tamiya guys did a great job even though the first two rounds of tech were not as stringent as they should have been thats ok they nipped it in the butt and everything went well. As to the allegations of someone getting caught in mini cheating ITS TRUE. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think when someone gets caught cheating they need to be taught and for Ray K. it was his day. He got caught with a magnet in his pocket and was DQ'd from the event to bad so sad I have no sympathy for him . There were alot of guys like me who worked there ass off to get into the A main without cheating and thats it and like I told him in the pits when he accused me of cheating and I will say it again "you can take that and stick it up your ASS" . Anyways enough about that we had a great time weather was beautiful, Kody's MO4 worked really good craig richter made a really good showing timmy valles had a really good battle in gt1 and was the best racing all weekend thanks to fred and the crew for putiing on a great nationals and I hope to see you all next year. Would someone tell Laurel at Tamiya that I know she lusts for me but becuase she is in a relationship that I would not consider dating her untill she broke up with her boyfriend and tell her to quit calling me.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Granpa
This was the first TCS Nationals event I've attended and was impressed with how smoothly everything went. There were a few glitches and delays, but considering the efforts made to see that everyone got a "fair" shake on the motors, it seemed to go as well as could have been expected. There were a few dramas, but since most of us have very little idea as to what the circumstances were, IMO, the less said the better.

The efforts made to level the playing field as far as motors went made for some of the closest and competitive racing that a lot of the more experienced racers said they've seen. All in all, it was a fun experience.

What was really amusing was the almost universal complaint was how each of the individual racers felt that they had a slower motor than everyone else. Since I have some decent motor testing equipment, I wound up with eight motors fellow racers asked to have tested. The variation between the best and the worst was 300 rpm at 5v. Six of the motors were within 200 rpms. One was 100 rpm down on all the others. However, there was one motor that was better by 250 rpms so it fell outside of the 300 rpm variation. To make it a true blind test, I have no idea as to which motor belonged to whom. Also, since I just got home and was "dog tired" this was just a quick check and all motors were checked "as is". More accurate dyno testing will be done later in the week.
I'm hoping you were checking motors after the event as you shouldn't have access to the motors to check in the pits during the event...

Here's the sad thing, and I am just going to come out and say it. The fact that the class that is designed to be the "most fun/low tech", ie Mini, is always the class that has the most tech issues. What class was someone found using a rare earth magnet back in the day in the chassis? Mini. What class did someone put extra magnets in the freaking can??? Mini. WTF guys? I mean really. The people pulling this crap KNOW they're doing stuff outside the rules, trying to get by with things that create an unfair advantage. TCS does not need people like this in the series. I know Fred has always wanted to keep the Nats/Regional rules similar to Japan. I think for the sake of the series he needs to look at going all brushless/all the time in 2009. Magnets, comm drops, motor voodoo all becomes moot with Brushless. It levels the playing field and, if anything, will SAVE THE RACERS MONEY in the long run. Bing a long-time silver can racer back to the F103 days, I'll admit I'll buy a bunch of motors before an event just to get the one "magic bullet". Brushless would help eliminate that. Fred, don't take this as an attack on you; its not meant to be. You organize and run one of the best series anywhere in the world, not just the US. It's a condemnation of the people who pull this garbage. This year's Nats was an attempt to cut down on the cheaters. It worked to a point. but when you have people with the following mindset, it gets to be too much (and this was in jest, but still there are those with this mentality):

Just give a smart TCS racer (especially Mini racers) 10 secs for an unsupervised walk from the tech table to the track to put down his car. Here is what will happen:

1. The magnets will be zapped twice.
2. Comm drops will be applied.
3. Graphite lube impregnated with Nano technology will be sprayed.
3. Timing will be increased.
4. RPM will be dyno'd.
5. LiPo case will be opened and an addition cell installed.
5. Technical information from all above will be sent back to the pit area via encrypted WiFi.

Give another 2 secs and a chrome plated-black can motor will be swapped coming and going.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
As to the allegations of someone getting caught in mini cheating ITS TRUE. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think when someone gets caught cheating they need to be taught and for Ray K. it was his day. He got caught with a magnet in his pocket and was DQ'd from the event to bad so sad I have no sympathy for him .

There were several of us who remember a certain racer back in the March Aliso regional that put an extra magnet in their silvercan. That racer got to finish the day. Don't you think he should have been DQ'ed from that event?

You know what they say about people who live in glass houses?

Last edited by minimadman2003; 08-26-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

RCGaryK - As a veteran TCS racer you're probably right about brushless. It's been my life experience that cheaters will try to cheat no matter what changes you make. I am sure brushless would make a big difference. But, for me as a regional racer who doesn't buy a lot of motors before a race brushless would add another big expense on top of an ever increasing rise in travel expenses. I know from following RC Mini.net that there are some cheaper systems out there. For many racers I think making brushless a requirement might discouraging them from attending a regional race. If you're just referring to tne national level that's a different issue I guess. I have always found it very difficult to deal with people who cheat. I understand your frustrations.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Bad joke coming........

Who would have thought the the Tour de France racers are "cleaner" than the Mini Cooper racers....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

well said gary k
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MD
RCGaryK - As a veteran TCS racer you're probably right about brushless. It's been my life experience that cheaters will try to cheat no matter what changes you make. I am sure brushless would make a big difference. But, for me as a regional racer who doesn't buy a lot of motors before a race brushless would add another big expense on top of an ever increasing rise in travel expenses. I know from following RC Mini.net that there are some cheaper systems out there. For many racers I think making brushless a requirement might discouraging them from attending a regional race. If you're just referring to tne national level that's a different issue I guess. I have always found it very difficult to deal with people who cheat. I understand your frustrations.
Let me ask you this... How much is a good ESC? $100-$150ish. How much is a Type-J motor? About $20-$25 a pop. A set of tires is... $35 with wheels and inserts and everything? You can now get a brushless system, motor and ESC, for $230. AND you can use this system in any car, on-road or off, to further defer the costs. Tell me you justify not doing that? I understand what you're saying about racing on a budget. It's why I didn't run the series this season (first time since '96) and why I took the summer off. But it something where the short term expense saves you money in the long term investment.

Nova...

BRAVO!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 92 (99%+)

Some GT-2 A-main Pics..
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-img_1827.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-img_1781.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-img_1803.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-img_1717.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.