Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

WOW! Nice reports! Another great show by Madness!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

With "Speed Week" ...err speed days nearly upon us any opinionated TCS prognosticators care to speculate on the possible 2008 podium finishers?

GT1

GT2

Mini

F103

Off Road

Hakuna matata, bitches!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by madjack
With "Speed Week" ...err speed days nearly upon us any opinionated TCS prognosticators care to speculate on the possible 2008 podium finishers?

GT1

GT2

Mini

F103

Off Road

Hakuna matata, bitches!

This is so mean, the TCS curse
Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
This is so mean, the TCS curse
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This was my fist TCS race, and I have to say what fun. Special thanks to Chris Marcy of R/C Madness for putting on a great show once again and it was nice meeting Fred from Tamiya USA. The most popular class were the minis and now I have to get myself one for next year. Seeing them zip around the track in the mains was off the hook. The racing in GT1 and GT2 was great as well, as well as seeing some raffle winners give the kits they won to the younger kids. Alex,any time man, its alays great sharing a pit area with you, gald I could help with the mini.
To everyone going to the Nats Good Luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My 1st TCS race also and the first time I every raced a mini cooper I can't remember having that much fun racing anything . Couldn't stop laughing all day especially in the B main wanted to thank Chris Marcy for such a good time. GREAT JOB Chris!!!!

Justin
Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
I really don’t have a name for the bunch of the dedicated TCS racers from the PA, MD and VA areas. For the sake of this post, I will call our group the “Mid Atlantic TCS Racers” (MATR). Doc Hickman is an adopted member and Doc Mertes was AWOL for this race, but checked in frequently on the team’s status.

MATR rolled in Enfield and was setup by 0600 Saturday morning for some outdoor practice. By the end of the first round on Sunday, the TQ’s for most of the classes where held by MATR. The TQ’s were held throughout the day.

TQ Mini– Ray K (Mini without compromise. Making a California debut in 2 weeks )
TQ F103GT – Todd Marshall
TQ GT3 – Steve Hickman (Forcefully taken in Rnd 3 from his brother, Doc )
TQ GT2 – Randy Bernard (Austin Vacek in tow about a 0.5 sec. behind)
TQ GT1 – Randy Bernard (Austin again about a 0.5 sec. behind)

There was both some serious wrenching and joking going on among the 3 MATR canopies. But the party was over when the rain rolled in around 4pm before the last qualifier (GT1 – race 11) in heat 3. At first because the late time of day, we thought the race was going to be canceled and awards made to the standing TQ holders. But the decision to cancel the race was reversed. The battle ground was to go inside on the carpet track. We thought it was a joke and most of the racer packed up and was ready to roll out.; not so easy, fast guys. Of course, the TQ holders (first time visitors) protested the decision, meanwhile the second place and local carpet heroes where smiling from ear to ear. Oh yeah, Doc Hickman was also smiling because he demonstrated in the past that he was very comfortable on the Ozite and needed his GT3 place back. After a little taunting and a lot of hormones (and pheromones), let the race continue!

None of the MATR group had their rubber on carpet setup (if they had one) nor had any practice time inside on a very, very tight layout. There was about 10 mins of open practice before the main started. The track was covered from wall to wall with Mini Coopers rolling and tumbling. I knew this was going to get ugly and there was going to be a quick turn of events. My son (Randy Bernard) and I decided early on that it was best to sit out the mains on carpet because taking the GT1 car in one piece to Aliso Viejo in 2 weeks was really our first priority. Plus, we really needed about 1 hour to charge the batteries, change to a carpet setup, and find out where the driving stand was located.

The mains started and to everyone’s surprise, some of the best bumper-to-bumper racing went down. The MATR racers had all long faces and the local racers were high-fiving. Mission accomplished.

Remember those fast guys above? Here is what went down.

TQ Mini-Ray K--- The same guy who was lapping the field twice outside, was now skating around and making the car as wide as possible and blocking some pissed off people. They finally beat him down and knocked him to second place. Ray didn’t know where the timing loop was and almost finished 3rd at the end. Ray now has a lot of new Mini friends in CT.

TQ Todd --- He feathered the car around 2 mph and was in 3rd place at one time. Through more feathering, sweat and prayer, he came out on top.

TQ Steve --- Well, the house was on their feet to see this one. Steve ran away and tried to hide. Doc was in pursuit, but tangled up a couple times on the first lap and was pointing in the wrong direction. Once in the clear, Doc put on his poker face and got down to business. It took Doc half of the race to reel in Steve and then another 2 laps to make the pass. They got tangled and Doc waited for Steve to turn around. He could not wait any longer because the 3rd place guy was coming around the corner. Doc took off without his brother and Steve had to now fight to get by the 2nd place guy in a pearl green TA05 IFS. Doc checked out and Steve battled with the IFS for the rest of the race. Steve finally got by and finished second.

GT2 and GT1 – In both races, 15 year old Austin started the race in place of 15 year old Randy. Austin discussed a strategy with the rest of the MATR group; get around the first corner and get real wide. Turn the card sideways in the 5 ft. lanes if he had to. The strategy worked! GT2 was no contest. But GT1, local racers, Alex Valdez and Carissa definitely knew their way around this track and both took turns and made a charge at Austin’s bumper. Austin turned up the volume on his IPOD and pulled out some hometown bag of tricks and was able to hold them off until they made mistakes or someone else took them out from behind.

A great weekend of bare-knucle–New England style TCS racing. Big thanks to Chris of R/C Madness and Fred of Tamiya USA. Now is time to send a small delegation to California to get a west coast education in TCS racing.
Eddie,
I understand you filmed all the main events GT1, GT2, GT3 Would you be so kind to post these so everyone can see the races???
I was hoping to run the Mains outside? But do to the Lightning in the area it would have been fatal if somebody got hit on a metal drivers stand??
My car was really hooked up in that last quali heat I turned 2 13.8 sec. laps with a Silver Can in GT3? I just hope it works @ Tamiya that good?
I should have borrowed a set of carpet A's from Jay Streeter? maybe I could have given Bruce a closer race? Brian and I sure had a classic battle for 2nd?
See ya in So Cal, Going Home for Me!
SH
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Race #138 write up

I got some coverage of mini racing in Enfield on my site.

http://www.teamminimus.com/tcs.html

I finished 5th and was pretty happy with that. It was great fun.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I vote for myself for 1st place win.... yay I have been cursed! ! ! ..... yezsir!

See, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you need to watch out for, because you never know when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
You guys are going to need to be up in Tech about 3 races before you're heat/main at the very least. I hope they think ahead and have extra motor screws and such there in case someone drops one in a hurry. Also, it's going to take different people longer/shorter depending on the chassis they're working on. Getting the motor into the TA-05, for example, requires you do so BEFORE you put the battery in, otherwise you can't access the lower motor screw. This can also cause people to potentially plug a LiPo in backwards IF they're not careful and IF they're in a rush.

So lets just try and be careful out there...
So lemme get this straight...GT1 will not have hand-out motors for TCS Nats? Just hand-out 3400 Lipo batteries, right?

Will we need to turn in our Lipo batteries after each qualifying heat?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Wink

GT1
1. Walter Cosico
2. Lee Passehl
3. Anthony Fung

GT2
1. James Arluck
2. Tony Tam
3. Johnny Pun

Mini
1. Nathan Weir
2. Ray K
3. David Weir

F103
1. Anthony Fung
2. Marty Hageman
3. Sean Wu

Hakuna matata, bitches!
Curse you all since I am not eligible to run this year
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is there going to be sign ups this year? Or if there already is, where are they cause I can't seem to find them.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's what may be considered to be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyways...

If people can't take their motors back to the pits for any reason, why should there be an RPM limit? Drivers have 0-control over what a motor does in the car. They are not water dipping and cannot use Comm Drops. If someone goes over the RPM limit, its not of their own doing and they'd be penalized for something COMPLETELY out of their control. IMHO, the impounding of motors eliminates any need for the RPM Limit. How can someone be penalized for something completely out of their control??? Sounds like a Bernie Ecchelstone idea to me...
Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here's what may be considered to be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyways...

If people can't take their motors back to the pits for any reason, why should there be an RPM limit? Drivers have 0-control over what a motor does in the car. They are not water dipping and cannot use Comm Drops. If someone goes over the RPM limit, its not of their own doing and they'd be penalized for something COMPLETELY out of their control. IMHO, the impounding of motors eliminates any need for the RPM Limit. How can someone be penalized for something completely out of their control??? Sounds like a Bernie Ecchelstone idea to me...
Just give a smart TCS racer (especially Mini racers) 10 secs for an unsupervised walk from the tech table to the track to put down his car. Here is what will happen:

1. The magnets will be zapped twice.
2. Comm drops will be applied.
3. Graphite lube impregnated with Nano technology will be sprayed.
3. Timing will be increased.
4. RPM will be dyno'd.
5. LiPo case will be opened and an addition cell installed.
5. Technical information from all above will be sent back to the pit area via encrypted WiFi.

Give another 2 secs and a chrome plated-black can motor will be swapped coming and going.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Curse you all since I am not eligible to run this year
last i heard Walter isnt running? I could be wrong. Anthony Fung has been seen "dabbling" in GT2 as well as Lee P.

Arluck is going to be in GT1 last I heard.

seems like lots of people are turned off by the "all of a sudden" tightening of rules in GT2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.