Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
  #8791  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 989
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Options are allways nice............ Carpet rules.

I am certain those that attended the Madness race had a good time.

Just two weeks to "The Event" and this board has gone silent............

All the little R/C elves must be busy, and playing with their cards held close to the vest...lol.

It will be great to run Aliso one last time... 'part three'.

Hope to see you all soon at Nats and I sure hope I do make the time to sit and chat with all of you one last time at Aliso. TAMIYA surely has created a wonderfull race series that has changed the industry and allowed us all to meet many very intersting people we now call friends. (you too Brandon)

Oh yea, I have that order of Type B's that you ordered from me all packed for delivery. Good luck on your quest for the trip! (you know who you are)

See y'all soon,
Marty
414MPH is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
  #8792  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccardr
Results from the Madness race?
Austin Vacek GT1 and GT2
Todd Marshal F103

Thats all I know. . .

Some of the people did not want to change setups when running inside so... they forfeited their position, one was even TQ. Although qualifying outside and mains inside does seem like a interesting fun twist, if there was more time to change setups.

Originally Posted by 414mph
Hope to see you all soon at Nats and I sure hope I do make the time to sit and chat with all of you one last time at Aliso. TAMIYA surely has created a wonderfull race series that has changed the industry and allowed us all to meet many very intersting people we now call friends. (you too Brandon)
sounds like a retirement speech, unless your name is lou gehrig, then i'm sorry...
A-Ko is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
  #8793  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 1,660
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Just two weeks to "The Event" and this board has gone silent............

All the little R/C elves must be busy, and playing with their cards held close to the vest...lol.

It will be great to run Aliso one last time... 'part three'.
I managed to score a kitchen pass today and blew the dust off the mini for some parking lot racing. It hadn't seen a battery since the Aliso Regional back in March!

I was hoping my Alabama teammate would have joined me for some practice, but I think he got caught up with some last second "honey-do's" before the trip out west.

No luck getting some practice in with the F103GT though. That one will have to wait until the Friday practice, where I'll hold my breath and see if I can negotiate around the TA track without killing anyone.

Looking forward to it. Almost done packing so I can send a care package ahead of my arrival.
minimadman2003 is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
  #8794  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 989
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
sounds like a retirement speech, unless your name is lou gehrig, then i'm sorry...
You coming to Aliso Jeff?

Inquiring minds want to know..............

or are allready retired?
414MPH is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
  #8795  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
SirSwiftAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SOCAL the fastest mini cooper guys in the nation
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Marty and you too by the way I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or just leave it alone. Anyways if you or anyone need to ship some of your stuff out let me know I can give you my address and I will pick it up and bring it to the track for you I already asked for the two days (thur, fri off) so I can bring your stuff whenever. Handling fee's are as follows :\

1 Package = 3X3 abnimal style with fries and a drink at In n Out

2 Packages = Boston Market Carver meal with Ice tea (3 sides)

3 Packages or more = Steak dinner including tip and don't even think about steak at IHOP or Dennys it does not qualify as a steak.
SirSwiftAlot is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 AM
  #8796  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Austin Vacek GT1 and GT2
Todd Marshal F103

Thats all I know. . .

Some of the people did not want to change setups when running inside so... they forfeited their position, one was even TQ. Although qualifying outside and mains inside does seem like a interesting fun twist, if there was more time to change setups.



sounds like a retirement speech, unless your name is lou gehrig, then i'm sorry...
GT3 @ RC Madness 8/10/08

Here are the results for GT3 Qualifying Outside:
Steve Hickman: TQ 21 laps 5:00
Bruce Hickman : 21 laps 5:03
Brian Kowokski : ???

A Main Results Indoors on Carpet with 10 min of practice:
Bruce Hickman: 1st
Steve Hickman: 2nd
Brian Kowokoski: 3rd

Needless to say it was not easy running all the mains for all participants under these conditions! But nobody was going to risk somebody getting hit by lightning and standing on top of a metal drivers stand with antennas???
Everybody was in the same boat? I ran my outdoor exact set up with the same B3 tires I TQ'd with and was leading till Bruce tapped me (Brotherly Love) in a corner? Brian and I had a great battle for 2nd thru the entire race!! The Indoor track was very tight (They had the 1/18 Scale Nationals there) so I think you you get my drift??
All in All Chris the The RC Madness owner did a fantastic job under very challenging conditions with basically no help except Fred manning the tech table.
I think a hearty "Well Done" is order for Chris, he did a great job to get it in?
Steve.
hickmeister is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 AM
  #8797  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
raffaelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 2,928
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Bummer that the carpet had to be used at Madness (We race in the rain all the time, lots of fun). I am hearing all sorts of things about the Mini and GT3 mains. Anything exciting happen?
raffaelli is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
  #8798  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Hay Doc,not up date????you must be working hard on the mini
I like the connector deal no iron to pack
see you guys in 1.5 weeks
m.m.
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 AM
  #8799  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

You guys are going to need to be up in Tech about 3 races before you're heat/main at the very least. I hope they think ahead and have extra motor screws and such there in case someone drops one in a hurry. Also, it's going to take different people longer/shorter depending on the chassis they're working on. Getting the motor into the TA-05, for example, requires you do so BEFORE you put the battery in, otherwise you can't access the lower motor screw. This can also cause people to potentially plug a LiPo in backwards IF they're not careful and IF they're in a rush.

So lets just try and be careful out there...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-careful-out-there.jpg  
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
  #8800  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
You guys are going to need to be up in Tech about 3 races before you're heat/main at the very least. I hope they think ahead and have extra motor screws and such there in case someone drops one in a hurry. Also, it's going to take different people longer/shorter depending on the chassis they're working on. Getting the motor into the TA-05, for example, requires you do so BEFORE you put the battery in, otherwise you can't access the lower motor screw. This can also cause people to potentially plug a LiPo in backwards IF they're not careful and IF they're in a rush.

So lets just try and be careful out there...
Because in the immortal words of safety pup, "Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye"
By the way, does anyone know if Ms. Ashley is doing the lap dan.... , I mean presenting the trophies this year?
Damn I wish i could be there!!!
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
  #8801  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
RCMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 959
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hickmeister
I think a hearty "Well Done" is order for Chris, he did a great job to get it in?
Steve.
Thanks for the props!
RCMadness is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
  #8802  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
RCMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 959
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Full results here:
http://www.rcmadness.com/350_JLap.as...ATE=08_10_2008
RCMadness is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
  #8803  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RC Madness TCS Race Review

I really don’t have a name for the bunch of the dedicated TCS racers from the PA, MD and VA areas. For the sake of this post, I will call our group the “Mid Atlantic TCS Racers” (MATR). Doc Hickman is an adopted member and Doc Mertes was AWOL for this race, but checked in frequently on the team’s status.

MATR rolled in Enfield and was setup by 0600 Saturday morning for some outdoor practice. By the end of the first round on Sunday, the TQ’s for most of the classes where held by MATR. The TQ’s were held throughout the day.

TQ Mini– Ray K (Mini without compromise. Making a California debut in 2 weeks )
TQ F103GT – Todd Marshall
TQ GT3 – Steve Hickman (Forcefully taken in Rnd 3 from his brother, Doc )
TQ GT2 – Randy Bernard (Austin Vacek in tow about a 0.5 sec. behind)
TQ GT1 – Randy Bernard (Austin again about a 0.5 sec. behind)

There was both some serious wrenching and joking going on among the 3 MATR canopies. But the party was over when the rain rolled in around 4pm before the last qualifier (GT1 – race 11) in heat 3. At first because the late time of day, we thought the race was going to be canceled and awards made to the standing TQ holders. But the decision to cancel the race was reversed. The battle ground was to go inside on the carpet track. We thought it was a joke and most of the racer packed up and was ready to roll out.; not so easy, fast guys. Of course, the TQ holders (first time visitors) protested the decision, meanwhile the second place and local carpet heroes where smiling from ear to ear. Oh yeah, Doc Hickman was also smiling because he demonstrated in the past that he was very comfortable on the Ozite and needed his GT3 place back. After a little taunting and a lot of hormones (and pheromones), let the race continue!

None of the MATR group had their rubber on carpet setup (if they had one) nor had any practice time inside on a very, very tight layout. There was about 10 mins of open practice before the main started. The track was covered from wall to wall with Mini Coopers rolling and tumbling. I knew this was going to get ugly and there was going to be a quick turn of events. My son (Randy Bernard) and I decided early on that it was best to sit out the mains on carpet because taking the GT1 car in one piece to Aliso Viejo in 2 weeks was really our first priority. Plus, we really needed about 1 hour to charge the batteries, change to a carpet setup, and find out where the driving stand was located.

The mains started and to everyone’s surprise, some of the best bumper-to-bumper racing went down. The MATR racers had all long faces and the local racers were high-fiving. Mission accomplished.

Remember those fast guys above? Here is what went down.

TQ Mini-Ray K--- The same guy who was lapping the field twice outside, was now skating around and making the car as wide as possible and blocking some pissed off people. They finally beat him down and knocked him to second place. Ray didn’t know where the timing loop was and almost finished 3rd at the end. Ray now has a lot of new Mini friends in CT.

TQ Todd --- He feathered the car around 2 mph and was in 3rd place at one time. Through more feathering, sweat and prayer, he came out on top.

TQ Steve --- Well, the house was on their feet to see this one. Steve ran away and tried to hide. Doc was in pursuit, but tangled up a couple times on the first lap and was pointing in the wrong direction. Once in the clear, Doc put on his poker face and got down to business. It took Doc half of the race to reel in Steve and then another 2 laps to make the pass. They got tangled and Doc waited for Steve to turn around. He could not wait any longer because the 3rd place guy was coming around the corner. Doc took off without his brother and Steve had to now fight to get by the 2nd place guy in a pearl green TA05 IFS. Doc checked out and Steve battled with the IFS for the rest of the race. Steve finally got by and finished second.

GT2 and GT1 – In both races, 15 year old Austin started the race in place of 15 year old Randy. Austin discussed a strategy with the rest of the MATR group; get around the first corner and get real wide. Turn the card sideways in the 5 ft. lanes if he had to. The strategy worked! GT2 was no contest. But GT1, local racers, Alex Valdez and Carissa definitely knew their way around this track and both took turns and made a charge at Austin’s bumper. Austin turned up the volume on his IPOD and pulled out some hometown bag of tricks and was able to hold them off until they made mistakes or someone else took them out from behind.

A great weekend of bare-knucle–New England style TCS racing. Big thanks to Chris of R/C Madness and Fred of Tamiya USA. Now is time to send a small delegation to California to get a west coast education in TCS racing.
TeamB&B is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 AM
  #8804  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
I really don’t have a name for the bunch of the dedicated TCS racers from the PA, MD and VA areas. For the sake of this post, I will call our group the “Mid Atlantic TCS Racers” (MATR). Doc Hickman is an adopted member and Doc Mertes was AWOL for this race, but checked in frequently on the team’s status.

MATR rolled in Enfield and was setup by 0600 Saturday morning for some outdoor practice. By the end of the first round on Sunday, the TQ’s for most of the classes where held by MATR. The TQ’s were held throughout the day.

TQ Mini– Ray K (Mini without compromise. Making a California debut in 2 weeks )
TQ F103GT – Todd Marshall
TQ GT3 – Steve Hickman (Forcefully taken in Rnd 3 from his brother, Doc )
TQ GT2 – Randy Bernard (Austin Vacek in tow about a 0.5 sec. behind)
TQ GT1 – Randy Bernard (Austin again about a 0.5 sec. behind)

There was both some serious wrenching and joking going on among the 3 MATR canopies. But the party was over when the rain rolled in around 4pm before the last qualifier (GT1 – race 11) in heat 3. At first because the late time of day, we thought the race was going to be canceled and awards made to the standing TQ holders. But the decision to cancel the race was reversed. The battle ground was to go inside on the carpet track. We thought it was a joke and most of the racer packed up and was ready to roll out.; not so easy, fast guys. Of course, the TQ holders (first time visitors) protested the decision, meanwhile the second place and local carpet heroes where smiling from ear to ear. Oh yeah, Doc Hickman was also smiling because he demonstrated in the past that he was very comfortable on the Ozite and needed his GT3 place back. After a little taunting and a lot of hormones (and pheromones), let the race continue!

None of the MATR group had their rubber on carpet setup (if they had one) nor had any practice time inside on a very, very tight layout. There was about 10 mins of open practice before the main started. The track was covered from wall to wall with Mini Coopers rolling and tumbling. I knew this was going to get ugly and there was going to be a quick turn of events. My son (Randy Bernard) and I decided early on that it was best to sit out the mains on carpet because taking the GT1 car in one piece to Aliso Viejo in 2 weeks was really our first priority. Plus, we really needed about 1 hour to charge the batteries, change to a carpet setup, and find out where the driving stand was located.

The mains started and to everyone’s surprise, some of the best bumper-to-bumper racing went down. The MATR racers had all long faces and the local racers were high-fiving. Mission accomplished.

Remember those fast guys above? Here is what went down.

TQ Mini-Ray K--- The same guy who was lapping the field twice outside, was now skating around and making the car as wide as possible and blocking some pissed off people. They finally beat him down and knocked him to second place. Ray didn’t know where the timing loop was and almost finished 3rd at the end. Ray now has a lot of new Mini friends in CT.

TQ Todd --- He feathered the car around 2 mph and was in 3rd place at one time. Through more feathering, sweat and prayer, he came out on top.

TQ Steve --- Well, the house was on their feet to see this one. Steve ran away and tried to hide. Doc was in pursuit, but tangled up a couple times on the first lap and was pointing in the wrong direction. Once in the clear, Doc put on his poker face and got down to business. It took Doc half of the race to reel in Steve and then another 2 laps to make the pass. They got tangled and Doc waited for Steve to turn around. He could not wait any longer because the 3rd place guy was coming around the corner. Doc took off without his brother and Steve had to now fight to get by the 2nd place guy in a pearl green TA05 IFS. Doc checked out and Steve battled with the IFS for the rest of the race. Steve finally got by and finished second.

GT2 and GT1 – In both races, 15 year old Austin started the race in place of 15 year old Randy. Austin discussed a strategy with the rest of the MATR group; get around the first corner and get real wide. Turn the card sideways in the 5 ft. lanes if he had to. The strategy worked! GT2 was no contest. But GT1, local racers, Alex Valdez and Carissa definitely knew their way around this track and both took turns and made a charge at Austin’s bumper. Austin turned up the volume on his IPOD and pulled out some hometown bag of tricks and was able to hold them off until they made mistakes or someone else took them out from behind.

A great weekend of bare-knucle–New England style TCS racing. Big thanks to Chris of R/C Madness and Fred of Tamiya USA. Now is time to send a small delegation to California to get a west coast education in TCS racing.
now thats what i call a race report!
Hebiki is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
  #8805  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (100)
 
Kwikvdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,034
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default

Nice report Team B&B!!............. I must say, well said. It was nice to see the Tamiya series head north for the Finale of the 08' Campaign, and what a finish........ Picture perfect start of the day. Cool breeze, puffy clouds and the mood was good in the pits. Also, nice to see everyone arrive on time for the early start of the championship.

First off, to one of the finest people you will ever meet in this great hobby, Mr. Chris Marcy of RC Madness. He will bust his back to give you a great show, and with limited staff to do the whole show and run his Hobby Shop......... I salute you Brother!........... It was also nice to meet Fred from Tamiya USA. Dedicated person to this hobby and a awesome drive with your Tam Tech. (Might get one for my son).......... It was very nice meeting you. Great job running tech.

Nice to also see a killer turnout!!............ With Mini leading the field of cars competing this weekend. The competitors were ready to go and some were all buisness. ...... Big fun for me running Mini for the first time. A little under powered but big fun wheeling it around. And my other class was GT1. Very competitive with Randy B. showing us the way!.......... It was also nice to see Tamiya's very own, Carissa F., run Sedan and doing very well. She is there Off-Road specialist but shows great skill in on-road. Always a top finisher in on-road in all the Top Races in the States. Nice to be working along side with you.

Weather got a little foul later on and we had to move inside to carpet. I took my chances like many others and wanted to finish strong in both my classes.......... Mini was BIG FUN and at times my eyes were watery from laughing so much during the run............. My 415 MRE was not bad in the GT-1 A-Main. Started 3rd on the grid and ran to a 3rd pl. finish. At times driving defensivly. Still BIG FUN and enjoying every moment.

I want to thank, once again, Tamiya for giving out some killer prizes and awards. Very classy stuff. Looks like many went home with some nice items. Congrats to all the winners. Many of you did your homework and really made those cars shine out there!.............. Great job!........... And to my Buddy, Kregg Kerr, who shared the pits with me and helped me out on power for my Mini!......... Thanks for everything!

I hope to see the Tamiya Series come back to the Northeast again and Madness, playing host to it in 09'............ Take care all and always remember why these races exists, to bring out the fun and postitve spirit of racing!

............ Until then, Happy Racing!
Kwikvdub is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.