Tech Regular

Default Spec Battery

Why is there a spec battery in GT1?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potato
Why do you drive in a Parkway but Park in a Driveway?

Why are Apartments located so close to each other?

Whats the opposite of opposite?

If your traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on what happens?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

That must keep you up at night......
does anything ever make sense?????
Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot

Those would appear to be strange nuances of the english language. A real question to ask would be: why do hot dogs come in packs of eight, and buns in packs of six?

Normal?

If your traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on what happens?
Einstein wondered about this. It is theoretically impossible to reach the speed of light. Even if you were close to the speed of light, your headlights would appear to operate just as they have if you were at rest - the light would still travel away from your car at 186,000 mi/sec AND to an outside observer it would also appear to travel at 186,000 mi/sec.

But seriously, why spec battery in GT1? I understand why in the other classes, but we don't want a spec motor in GT1, then why do we want a spec battery?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Those would appear to be strange nuances of the english language. A real question to ask would be: why do hot dogs come in packs of eight, and buns in packs of six?

Normal?

Einstein wondered about this. It is theoretically impossible to reach the speed of light. Even if you were close to the speed of light, your headlights would appear to operate just as they have if you were at rest - the light would still travel away from your car at 186,000 mi/sec AND to an outside observer it would also appear to travel at 186,000 mi/sec.

But seriously, why spec battery in GT1? I understand why in the other classes, but we don't want a spec motor in GT1, then why do we want a spec battery?
The thought process of TCS racing rules is new to me. Out of respect for the heritage, I remain silent on this one. I would suspect it is to level the playing field (or near level). To stop the exotic NiMh batteries pushing 10 volts and 5000 Mah.

It seems TCS racing is the "Popular Mechanics" of R/C racing. Racers have used the most exotic technologies in the past to skirt around the rules in an effort of winning. It is a good thing because it advances the hobby/sport, but a bad thing if you can drive your ass off and your are on the loosing end because you followed the rules without improvision.

I have a larger problem with the minimum 1400 g weight. I haven't figured a way yet to have a LiPo and brushless motor in a 416/415, have it balanced L/R, and get near 1400 g. I am pretty sure with the unlimited time/$ resouces of a "TCS racer engineer", there will be someone flying around TA come August that has done it. The performance advantage will be too great. Everyone else will have to scramble on raceday to "near" duplicate the same setup.

TC racers usually configured their chassis for ROAR rules, therefore 1525g weight should be used. This would also shift the emphasis to racing skills, talent and car setup rather than the engineering challenge getting the car as light as possible for only one race.

Last edited by TeamB&B; 07-28-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

My best guess... C ratings.. they can be dangerous.. Another reason for the Voltage check...

$0.02
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My guess is that because with all the different generations of double deck cars, there's a good chance that the fastest (biggest) lipos will not fit in some cars with low upper decks.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
The thought process of TCS racing rules is new to me. Out of respect for the heritage, I remain silent on this one. I would suspect it is to level the playing field (or near level). To stop the exotic NiMh batteries pushing 10 volts and 5000 Mah.

It seems TCS racing is the "Popular Mechanics" of R/C racing. Racers have used the most exotic technologies in the past to skirt around the rules in an effort of winning. It is a good thing because it advances the hobby/sport, but a bad thing if you can drive your ass off and your are on the loosing end because you followed the rules without improvision.

I have a larger problem with the minimum 1400 g weight. I haven't figured a way yet to have a LiPo and brushless motor in a 416/415, have it balanced L/R, and get near 1400 g. I am pretty sure with the unlimited time/$ resouces of a "TCS racer engineer", there will be someone flying around TA come August that has done it. The performance advantage will be too great. Everyone else will have to scramble on raceday to "near" duplicate the same setup.

TC racers usually configured their chassis for ROAR rules, therefore 1525g weight should be used. This would also shift the emphasis to racing skills, talent and car setup rather than the engineering challenge getting the car as light as possible for only one race.
it hasnt been very hard for me to get my car up to weight AND balanced L to R. plus using the old rules of 1525 would just require everyone to slap on too much lead on their cars trying to make that weight.

a local trophy race used the 1525 rules and i had weight everywhere. wasnt pretty.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
My guess is that because with all the different generations of double deck cars, there's a good chance that the fastest (biggest) lipos will not fit in some cars with low upper decks.
exactly... the "flat top" 3800 style orion battery casing does NOT fit into the 415MSX series cars without having to dremel the right rear bulkhead (curved to follow the shape of nimh batteries).

the 3400 series batteries has that dip in the center that allows it to slip under the bulkhead easier without having to dremel.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
it hasnt been very hard for me to get my car up to weight AND balanced L to R. plus using the old rules of 1525 would just require everyone to slap on too much lead on their cars trying to make that weight.

a local trophy race used the 1525 rules and i had weight everywhere. wasnt pretty.
The spec 3400 battery is the lowest common denominator to bring the TRF415 into the fold at no loss to any other model. Yet the same thought process was not used for weight. The GT1 rules allow a wide variety of models from TT01 to 416; all much heavier than the 416. Therefore, a 416 will have an inherent advantage going into the fight.

Plus, most if not all of us race other races beside TCS. All requiring 1525g. 1400 g is way too light.

The compromise: Keep it 1500 g like every Regional race and be done with it.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

And furthermore, how come a guy that examines a$$holes is a proctologist, but the guy that flies to the moon is an astronaut?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why is Tamiya pronounced Tameeya?

(someone had to bring us back to topic. . .)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, the Canadian TCS finals have concluded..

Congrats to Steven Bortolotti in GT1, Philip Leung in GT2, and Jerry Man in Mini!

Should be fun watching these guys next month.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow, Jerry Mann wins Mini again! That's what, like four times? I know I've finished behind him at the USA Nats twice, and seems to me one year he won but couldn't make the trip. Dang.

What happened in F103 and F103GT?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.