Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree830Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I've used several of the newer sets of 60D As and they seem iffy when brand new, but with 3 or 4 runs on them they come alive.....So get some new ones and run them in before Nationals!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default alternative motor

Tamiya should really look at this alternative to black/silver can motors it will be fair for everyone and rule out the motor cheaters. Sorry doc, this might put a damper on your business but small lost for you means big gain for us.

http://www.rc-mini.net/MiniWeb_Onlin...Brushless.html
Old 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey, no problemo- I've been agreeing with all of the brushless guys since Day One. It also looks to me (based on the dyno numbers in the article) that the real limiter here is the gearing. With a 20 tooth pinion, these guys all produce about the same RPM and torque,hence the very similar lap times between the P1, P2 and 13.5. Me likey the close racing!

The whole point behind Red Dots was to ensure that every racer could have an equal opportunity to purchase a silver can motor with absolutely top-shelf performance, whether they knew a motor guru or not. We've accomplished that. The fact that so many racers- all over the world- are interesting in running a Red Dot means that there's a real need in the marketplace for the product.

But if the motor biz went away next year with a change to the TCS rules, I'd get a lot more sleep and my wife would be much happier.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I know that the initial investment seems a bit much but if the rule remains the same for the entire year it actually works out to be cheaper in the long run and we . all can concentrate on driving rather than worrying and whinning over who has the faster motor. I'm one of those guys that hangs out in the C and D mains and have the best time of my life at TCS and would love to not have the headache of a brushed motor since I run brushless in everything else. It's not going to make anyone better or worst, the best drivers will still be in the A main but not the cheaters.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Gary has those Chris, he just never figured out the proper aplication,
rogaine doesn't work in sandwiches.

But it tastes great and is less filling! BTW, those who live in glass houses there Derf....

Originally Posted by minidriver
I rarely agree with sirswiftalot, but he does make a point about "preparation." I've already bought my 60d's for two racers from a variety of locations - and did so couple of months ago - and I only use 60d's for Nationals - otherwise I'm an indoor racer using S and M grips. Now what am I to do with them if we suddenly have a different tire rule for mini than that tire all have used throughout the outdoor season?

As for the reported unavailability of 60D's, I might suggest this "SMALL, HARDLY known, hard to contact" source - where they have them in stock, and not in "limited" quantities. Doc's right, the internet is a wonderful resource.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXGK18&P=K
My theory is Brandon just upgraded from XP to Vista. His fuzzy logic is getting cleaned out
Oh, tires in stock here too

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM53340

Originally Posted by Hebiki
funny guy. i have some rogaine and hellsman for you.
Too bad you never had any speed or competition for me! ZING!

Originally Posted by Difuser

Gary you forgot the Hack The Rest of the Field Into Oblivion Memorial too......Oh wait that was called passing "oops sorry wanna drive my car now?"
Huh? Stop sniffing tire glue and type that so it makes sense... Complete Sentences = more better
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

We've also run the 17.5 Novak and the speed is on par with a 14kish silver can with exellent torque.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Core Creations
We've also run the 17.5 Novak and the speed is on par with a 14kish silver can with exellent torque.
Haven't run one in a Mini but in a sedan a 17.5 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a silver can.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

That's because of gearing....If you could gear the mini higher it would be much faster, but limiting the gearing (already limited to a max of 5.8ish) which is waaay undergeared for the 17.5 it's spot on...believe me!

And on top of that, after our 10 minute main it comes off at 85 degrees!!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Is that where Izzy uses an Illegal car with a-arms that were never designed for the chassis on it while Chris takes out someone with a legit and legal car?

Never Forget!
Hey meeeeennnn, leave me alone from your stupid accusations. All I'm trying to do is kill Fred and Jun with my MP5.

You better pray I'm not one of the tech persons or else you might as well just save your air fair money.

Waaaazzzz up Chris! still trying to win a TCS crown eeehh. Well, hopefully you will make it this time... because it is your last chance. I heared Kevin's gonna own that 500 worth in prizes. I also heared someone's just might defunk that from happening.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Hey meeeeennnn, leave me alone from your stupid accusations. All I'm trying to do is kill Fred and Jun with my MP5.

You better pray I'm not one of the tech persons or else you might as well just save your air fair money.

Waaaazzzz up Chris! still trying to win a TCS crown eeehh. Well, hopefully you will make it this time... because it is your last chance. I heared Kevin's gonna own that 500 worth in prizes. I also heared someone's just might defunk that from happening.
So the faint rumors of Mr. Eeyan Iguano coming out of retirement just might be true ?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

For those who need the help -

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM53340

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=362&id=6133

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=53340

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-M-Chassis...2em118Q2el1247

http://www.discounthobbies4u.com/tek...ific=jphqpsdpo

http://www.gohobbies.com/itemTAM-53340.html

I think I have said enough on this issue and if they decide to spec the S grip then so be it but I believe there would be no reason for it. Also who is going to refund my 60 D's that I have purchased in ADVANCE for this race ?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Although you could always take a set of B3s, cut them down to fit mini, then you would be 1 step ahead of those wacky sedan drivers that cut their tires up after 1 run.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by izzyracer

I am saving my air fare as I won't be there this year. I haven't competed in a regional so I'm not even qualified.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Gee - if they spec GT-2 tires, I guess my 18 sets of B's tires willnot be worth much anymore ? Guess I might as well sell them.

For those that complain about Tamiya tires being useless after 1-run (and then others complain about people who run new tires each run when they can) here is a good way to use them up. At a local track, a group of Tamiya faithful got enough drivers (we hoped for 4-5 and got 9) to run a "Tamiya leftover" class. We ran any Tamiya chassis, no weight limit, LIPO's or Nimh's. However, it was hand out silver can motors and had to be "used" B3 tires. Taking a new set and putting two laps of practice did not count either. We had a blast and most people ran the same set for both qualifiers and the main. Biggst thing we learned for next time we do this is to dyno the handout motors. Some were good and some were just plain dogs. There was lots of laughing and fun on the driver stand.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Exactly what we have also found at Trackside - and 85 degrees seems a bit high - I estimated about 78 - barely above room temp!

About the only downside is that the increased torque wears out the outdrives of a ball diff a bit faster - sure wish they made these in a more hardened version, or changed the design so that it was similar to the 415/416 blades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.