Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vicko
hey can anyone give me the part number for the high down force wing
for the GT1 class. thanks
Here you go Vic. Part number is 53604

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?....x=0&image.y=0

You riding with us to the CT TCS on 8/10?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Many of you have voiced concerns about the Mini 60D A compound tires. I have seen first hand what is happening at the tracks around the series. With that said a simple solution is being considered and may be the way to go as WE ARE COMPLETELY SOLD OUT of 60D tires anyway We have ordered more, but the fact remains there is the possibility they may not make it in time. The proposed solution was to use the S-Grip treaded tires which offer good wear life and good performance. The S-Grips are not belted, I believe, so we will institute a rule where the tire can not be "ballooned" for gear ratio advantage. A simple guage will be used. Anyway be prepared for a spec tire for Mini..................
Why should there be a spec on the tire when other people including me have been holding on to these tires specifically for the nationals. There lack of preparedness doses not warrant penalizing those who planned in advance. specifying just one tire is flat out not fair I beleive that if the racer doesn't have the tires then they have no other choice but try and find the 60 D's or run S grips. At what point are we going to have Tamiya just build the cars and then we run them as is and turn them in after every race. To add one more thing people who are interested in running the nationals at a competitive level won't just fly out here and say ok where are my tires, rims, diff parts, etc.? No they purchase in advance the things they see fit to bring with them.
Just my honest opinion so if you don't like it don't say anything and if you like it please feel free to share.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

wow i stirred up a hornet's nest didnt i?

what i posted is NOT my idea.. Doc, you of all people know I always have motor.

post on my fellow racers... POST ON.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

reason there are no tires left is simple. they dont last long enough and folks as described above go and hoard (sp?) a nice lil cache of tires for themselves. you know whats worse than not making the A at a big race (if it really matters to u), making it b/c u had access to a key part that others didnt (you might think ur slick (no pun) for goin out early and blowin wads of cash stocking up--however u'll see what i mean).

then again i still envy those guys who run around in the B or C and have a great time no matter what, seemingly not givin 2 shites about havin super tires or a cranked can.

shouldve seen the battle and the panic attacks on the wallet that ensued last wk when people were scramblin for fresh b3s which were off after 1 run. considerin foams and wheels. people spendin 250bux on tires for 1 race is absurd. 1 set of 30$ jacos and u can run all day, u could even mandate 1 set b/c they would go that far. therefore u'd get more folks into this.

if the idea was to get new folks in w/the cheap fun cooper, its long been said many times that the ship has sailed on that idea. all the upgrades, the tire bill, shootin 10A+ into cheap throw-away batts, and super cans. i dont fault a father/mother and their kid goin and buyin a Tmaxx or rustler.

R
Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually, I think the reason there aren't many Tamiya Type A's and B3's around is that, year after year, the retailers and distributors underestimate how many they can sell during the entire season. So when a regional TCS rolls around, they are out of stock all the way back to the warehouse. My Cooper and F103GT tires actually last quite a long time (still running Mini ones I made for last year's Nats, and my F103GT gets two regionals out of a set of rears, including practice. Fronts last, well, forever).

In a perfect world, my LHS would never run out of stuff that I wanted and I could buy tires the week before the regional or Nats. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world. However, we do live in a GLOBAL economy...which means what we do not have here in the USA is available overseas. If you want to shop around, you can find A's and B3's- no problem. You just have to have a PayPal account and be willing to pay for the shipping.

Personally, I buy R/C stuff in bulk. When I find something that works, I dig into savings and buy a bunch of them so I have them when I need them, and in the long run it's much much cheaper than paying the going rate when you're frantic to have something right away. Same deal with fine wine: buy it by the case and you have what you want when you want it and it costs less than just buying a bottle.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Why should there be a spec on the tire when other people including me have been holding on to these tires specifically for the nationals. There lack of preparedness doses not warrant penalizing those who planned in advance. specifying just one tire is flat out not fair I beleive that if the racer doesn't have the tires then they have no other choice but try and find the 60 D's or run S grips. At what point are we going to have Tamiya just build the cars and then we run them as is and turn them in after every race. To add one more thing people who are interested in running the nationals at a competitive level won't just fly out here and say ok where are my tires, rims, diff parts, etc.? No they purchase in advance the things they see fit to bring with them.
Just my honest opinion so if you don't like it don't say anything and if you like it please feel free to share.
Well, I don't know who cracked into Brandon's computer, but what that person wrote was one of the clearer more intelligent thoughts on the subject.
For the finals, many of us have planned ahead for a long time.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

OK this is getting weird.....with all the rule put on mini it is getting hard to book that flight.... the battery and motor rule is ok but starting to put a limit on tires????? this is were people need to be prepard for the race,not waiting for race day.and if we are flying to this race we have to pack what we need for the weekend,tires and spare parts and watch the weight for flight.so if this rule is made please stick to it!!!!!! I hate getting to a race and rule changes at the last min.........
just my 2 cents
M.M.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Tamiya Tires in stock..
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Tire rule is valid imo.. We all know Tire is 70% of the setup.. And with the LACK of GOOD tires, that just makes being competetive even harder.. Why chance spending money on tires when you are not guaranteed a GOOD SET.. My best guess would be not buy tires early and know the chance of getting bad ones is more likely.. Wait till later when hopefully the GOOD ones are back around..

Maybe the chosen Spec tire doesnt suffer from the GOOD batch vs BAD batch syndrom.. everyone still has a chance..

$0.02..
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

true but a good tire on a bad setup will help
a ok tire on a good setup will last longer
if one is relaying on the tires to make most of the setup some might rethink the setup.and make a change some one does not burn up there tires.
just thought
m.m.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Default Spec battery for F103

Can some one tell me if leads will be included with the hand out spec Orion batteries?

If so, what and connector type is included on the end (if any)?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

should be the same as the 3200 carbon battery
same still case
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

By this arguement...

24mm B's should be illegal in GT1 and GT2 for those who still have them (like me)

I would say the spec tire rule would have been ok if announced earlier, but now people may be "double-buying" tires, thinking they were already in the clear with their stockpile and now clearly SOL. One thing a Spec tire does though is even the field.

For motors, got 21.5 for GT2 and Mini and be done with it. I'm tired of hearing people complain about mabuchi's, be it black or silver can.

But I also agree that tweaking the rules at this point is a bit late. Leave the rules as they are and people will adapt. Fred, you do an amazing job at this. Trust your instincts and 95% of the time you'll be right. The other 5% is when you say no to suggestions I make >
Old 07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If Fred goes to a spec tire, I'll deal with it. We run S-Grips (M-Grips too) at tracks all across the country, so I've had a lot of experience with that tire (wait a minute...is that an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE???!!!??).

So, I'll deal with it...I just don't understand why it would be necessary. As Orlando so kindly pointed out a few posts previously, SpeedTech has both 60D's and B3's in stock. Seems to me that's only about a 30 minute drive from Aliso. Don't live in Southern California? Try that new fangled contraption called the Internet (you know, the thing made of tubes, according to Ted Stevens). Surprisingly, one can order tires from such far-off lands as Iowa and Texas. Exotic perhaps, but one does what one must. In other words, there are tires galor out there if you take a minute to look for them instead of bit%hin' about not being able to find them two blocks from your house.

And like everyone else around here, let's get to the final final final final final version of the rules already. This is embarassing.

One other thing: Brandon (agreed that his post was the most cogent and well-phrased one I've ever seen from him) asks when we will have Tamiya build the cars and we just run them. You know, they make those Expert Built Mini's, come with a battery, radio, the works...and they cost about the same as my most recent tire bill. Hmmmm.....
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
You know, they make those Expert Built Mini's, come with a battery, radio, the works...and they cost about the same as my most recent tire bill. Hmmmm.....
I heard Expert Built TT-01 was going to be used in the past champs race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.