Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimusprime
excuse my laziness but is the national champs next weekend?
last weekend in August. there's a TCS race this weekend in Maryland.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

tnks
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimusprime
excuse my laziness but is the national champs next weekend?
No.
Race dates: Saturday and Sunday. August 23-24
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=358
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarKing
I am glad to see people are happy that F103 was added back as a class but be aware.....now that we've added it, you guys better show up and bring your A-Game! We want to see more than 5 cars in this field at Nats!!!!!
Is the F103GT class offered as a 2nd class?
Guaranteed to fill the class if so; I'd buy one if it's a 2nd class!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
For silver/black can classes that have no gearing rules, the RPM rule has little effect. Mini drivers with fixed gearing can benefit greatly from a motor that spins faster for higher top end speed in the straight.
If you were at the AV regional, you may not have seen the GT-3 car that was lifting / braking at the end of the straight so it would not be obvious how much faster it was. It was noticed and was dq'ed from that qualifying run at 17K RPM. If you were at the Union City race, you would have easily seen the difference between the high RPM "enhanced" silver cans vs. a good silver can that just had the brushes and bushings broken in well. The RPM ruling has a HUGE effect even on open gearing classes and Tamiya has seen this. That is why there was an RPM limit at Aliso and why there will be one at the Nats.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For silver/black can classes that have no gearing rules, the RPM rule has little effect.

The F103 has the effect of magnifying the skills of the driver. I have learned to "suck slightly less" since the last nationals and have made a few gearing theory changes for my F103, but Anthony is a good driver in any class and spanked everyone at the spring AV regional. His motor was RPM legal.
Were you there in the spring?

Sean clearly was fastest, and won the F103GT class. Anthony is not even listed as competeing in this class.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
If you were at the AV regional, you may not have seen the GT-3 car that was lifting / braking at the end of the straight so it would not be obvious how much faster it was. It was noticed and was dq'ed from that qualifying run at 17K RPM. If you were at the Union City race, you would have easily seen the difference between the high RPM "enhanced" silver cans vs. a good silver can that just had the brushes and bushings broken in well. The RPM ruling has a HUGE effect even on open gearing classes and Tamiya has seen this. That is why there was an RPM limit at Aliso and why there will be one at the Nats.
Thank you for your correction. I am not disagreeing with you. My statement of "little difference" and your saying the difference is "huge" may lay in the definition and the context.

Open gears can also benefit but the difference in lap times will not be as pronounced. The variables of the gearing used, the efficiency of the car, the length of the straight(s) all have to be taken into consideration with the motor you are given/have.

I think we can all agree that out of the box silvers can can vary in KVA (rpm/volt), torque, wattage and over all efficiency and by a fair amount. Cherry picking the good motors before they are juiced up to 15000 RPM @ 5V may very well be the the key to differences you observed in Union city. I have read that the not all motors are qualified to be up to "red dot" potential. For the AV GT3 qualifier, it seems someone went a little too far with whatever they do to make it turn fast and got caught. It would be a good bet that the motor was strong before it was tweaked for RPM.

As it is impractical for all the motor variations to be normalized for the purpose of TCS racing. Tamiya has chosen to focus on KVA as the measurable parameter. As they are prepping for the Nats. and checking out all those motors it would be interesting to see what the variation with the lot will be, not to mention who gets what motor. I hear Fred is taking donation for his "M3 needs new tires" fund.

Bottom line: Fixed gear stands to benefit the most from a high RPM motor.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Were you there in the spring?

Sean clearly was fastest, and won the F103GT class. Anthony is not even listed as competeing in this class.
I stand corrected. I had a brain fart and came up with the wrong name. I just remember Anthony running well in F103 for 2007? right?.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I stand corrected. I had a brain fart and came up with the wrong name. I just remember Anthony running well in F103 for 2007? right?.
Sean took 1st overall, Anthony took second , and Tom took the last podium spot. You remember all too well, Anthony and Sean were both 'blistering" fast. It truely was one of the great weekends of F103xx racing at Tamiya.

One last lobby to TA, for Nationals F103GT Please use the same "buy your motor at the track" from the same batch of handout motors and performance rules as Nationals Mini class.

This is nationals and not controling the motors for F103GT makes F103GT a second class class.

I hope the F103RM release spurs Tamiya America into bringing back F103 racing. I prefered the old rubber tires, but with the environmental restrictions, I think the foams will be the best bet in the future, but only with traction compound.
Marty

Last edited by 414MPH; 07-10-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarification!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, I was running F103GT in 2007 final as a second class. For the regional at Aliso this year, I ran GT3 instead, and the funny thing is I used the same silver can motor from last year F103 race. I was the first person who got picked on for the motor test and the number comes out barely under 14,000 rpm or whatever the limit is.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Last year, the TA track has massive traction, the F103GT drives just like AWD touring car. I know that because I was running back to back , GT1 then F103. It was the most fun I have with the F103 cars. I hate the days with foam tire and no traction compound allowed. That was terrible.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Andrew,

Could you please find out if F103GT will be available for registration as a class that can be run as an second class.

From the 7/9/08 rules:
Page 1,
"One race entry per person, but (only) 4WD Off-Road may be entered as a second class only."

Page 7
"1/10 4WD Off-road Rules
Race against the Pros! TRF Pro Drivers David Jun, Jimmy Jacobson and Josh Numan invite all comers to test their off-road skills against them. This class is open to all racers as a second class. Past Champions are also welcome. "

Page 7
"F103GT Rules
By popular demand direct drive racing comes to the Finals once again with the world famous F103GT."

Thanks,
Marty
Old 07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Sean took 1st overall, Anthony took second , and Tom took the last podium spot. You remember all too well, Anthony and Sean were both 'blistering" fast. It truly was one of the great weekends of F103xx racing at Tamiya.

One last lobby to TA, for Nationals F103GT Please use the same "buy your motor at the track" from the same batch of handout motors and performance rules as Nationals Mini class.

This is nationals and not controlling the motors for F103GT makes F103GT a second class class.

I hope the F103RM release spurs Tamiya America into bringing back F103 racing. I preferred the old rubber tires, but with the environmental restrictions, I think the foams will be the best bet in the future.
Marty
Marty:
Bruce and I still have several new sealed F103 kits that we will have get out of mothballs if Tamiya will bring back the old F1 cars? I even have a new Benetton B192 F102 kit brand new kit I can use? let's see Lotus 107, Ferrari 412, Sauber Kit, and all the hop ups! it would be great to race again like you said with Foams I even have brand new HBR's and the Jaco/Tamiya Purple/white foams. I know you used to have quite a warehouse of f103 stuff don't you???? I believe between us we could probably supply a class next year for TCS??? it sure would be cool to get back to the old F1 days, I really had a great time racing those cars, maybe we can talk fred into going 8min races with Lipos???
Steve.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

What tires are most people running in mini?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

think every1 is scramblin for As honestly. i could be wrong.

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.