Originally Posted by 414MPH
BRAD!! SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh was that out loud?

I said that person would remain nameless
Sheesh!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Between the alleged hand wound armatures,neo magnets in and out of the can,magnet zapping,endbell cranking and the constant lying and useless banter about what people are or not doing or running,I think I will sit Mini out this year or at least until they allow a 21.5 as a BL alternative for Mini.That being said,I hope the offroad sector of TCS takes off.Arluck has his Durga on a rail.Will be building my car tomorrow.Again if you have a Durga,and are coming to the Union City stop,bring it.Lots-o-fun.Linger, you have alot to figure out before next weekend!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
Arluck has his Durga on a rail.Will be building my car tomorrow.Again if you have a Durga,and are coming to the Union City stop,bring it.Lots-o-fun.Linger, you have alot to figure out before next weekend!
Racebutt - are you freaking deaf? I've been screaming that the Durga is dialed for the past couple months.
Box stock - kit springs, box stock setup - FRIGGIN DIALED - nothing to figure out.

I think I'm going to sit out GT1 and just do off-road this time around. I wonder if I can sneak my way into the Japan TCS off-road class. They race em on a carpet track with jumps. Sweet!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry to hear that, John. You've always been The Man To Beat in Mini up there. Now I REALLY wish I could be there next weekend!!!

Frankly, I think most of what we hear that people are doing/have done/surmise that others have done to their silver cans falls into the category of "useless banter".

Have fun in the dirt!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah but your daughter is graduating from School.Thats the best reason to miss the stop in Union City.Your still my favorite Mini guy Doc.Always positive.Between you and Christiansen,I will be back eventually.

Ling.Your such the turd sometimes.You have a GT1 car I can run?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Between the alleged hand wound armatures,neo magnets in and out of the can,magnet zapping,endbell cranking and the constant lying and useless banter about what people are or not doing or running,I think I will sit Mini out this year or at least until they allow a 21.5 as a BL alternative for Mini.That being said,I hope the offroad sector of TCS takes off.Arluck has his Durga on a rail.Will be building my car tomorrow.Again if you have a Durga,and are coming to the Union City stop,bring it.Lots-o-fun.Linger, you have alot to figure out before next weekend!
John,
I woulld not hang up it on running Mini @ NorCal this weekend, You never know if Tamiya will institute the 15,000 RPM Rule from last years TCS Nats?
That would eliminate the "Voodoo Magic" to these Silver Can devils?
Looking forward to race with you guys this weekend!
Steve.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah but your daughter is graduating from School.

Ling.Your such the turd sometimes.You have a GT1 car I can run?
Did someone say daughter?....

Racebutt - I'm loaning my Gt-1 car to A-Yo. Based off his driving skills at Reedy - I'm having second thoughts. I'll be lucky to get the car back in 3 pieces.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

John a.ka. Racenut123

I am sorry to hear you not running mini I was looking forward to a good battle like last year when you spanked the entire field, and I thought we got rid of all the silver can B.S. I think it could be solved by having three people inspect the top three guys in mini and GT3. The three people would be the race director, Tamiya's represenative, and a third impartial individual that is not in either class and understands these motors. Anyways all for nothing I will see you on friday evening and hope to trade some shop talk with you while we are up there.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I thought we got rid of all the silver can B.S.

It never goes away . . .

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

indeed, silver can BS will never die til they rid themselves of the platform entirely.

R
Old 06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The mini class has become a double edged sword to deal with:

On the one hand...... you have people who can go down to their hobby store, buy a mini, build it right out of the box and are then able to race TCS with it. While they won't be competitive, for the first time racer, it takes very little extra equipment to be able to run TCS in a mini class. The downside is all of the "motor tricks" that people use to run competitive, and having us try to tech everything and put motor rules trying to keep the class close.

On the other hand...... if you say running brushless is now the format then all of the motor issues are out the door and you will see a much closer field. However, now that kid who went to buy the new mini chassis to run TCS has to not only get the few things like radio, chrager, battery, but also a $200 brushless system.

It's hard to commit to making that decision for a class that is intended to be entry level. This is the same problem with GT3. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this issue of motors in mini at the moment. If a change like that were to occur, it would be something that wouldn't happen until 2009 anyways since people have already spent the time and money on their current mini cars and only having a handful of races left.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
indeed, silver can BS will never die til they rid themselves of the platform entirely.

R
Yes, but that will be replaced by another controversy. To all those who believe going to brushless will solve this, you are in for a shock. Anyone who has run brushless for awhile will tell you there are any number of speed "secrets" to make them perform better. There is also the problem of several different companies making systems. I can't believe they all perform the same.

Let me pose another question for you (brushless advocates). Most brushless systems run about $250 or there abouts. Are you saying we should spend 2 1/2 to 3 X what a kit would cost? And that includes a motor in the kit. Also what if company X's system seems to be better than company Y's, do you then buy their system for another $250 or live with the performance disadvantage. What about company Z's motor with X or Y"s Esc? And how about changing rotors? I understand there are ways to changing the timing on these things. Those are just a few things that come to mind.

Let's look at the other side. Stock motor is $15 to $20. You can spend the time to make them go faster or buy one of Doc Mertes"s Red Dot motors for $45. Seems cheap to me compared to $250+ for a brushless system that may be as slow as a stock silvercan compared to a tuned brushless system.

The reality of the situation is this, if you're slow with a silvercan, you'll be slow with a brushless. The fast guys will still be the fast guys. Spoken form the point of view of one of the slow guys. However, I have an excuse being in my 70s and blind as a bat.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

If you give the option to run either or motors then everyone can participate.The fast guys have so much invested already,the BL alternative/argument is moot point IMO.They will always be faster,thus the natural selection will happen with running either. All this being my opinion.Take it with a grain of salt. I was able to help some Mini guys out yesterday in practice to get their cars setup.Should be a fun race to watch.

Anyone have the exact Aliso specs for silver can motors that they had for their regional?This is the basis for tech rules for the UC stop.Brandon,I think you nailed it on the head when it comes to tech.We'll see what happens.See you all Saturday! Warm up race!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i didnt say BL would fix it.

what is right is that there will be another issue, then another, then another... why b/c we all want to go faster and we all (well most) listen to the companies when he 'have' to go buy new crap.

forget spec classes, most folks' egos and thirst to win will overcome the fun factor. sadly.

only way to even have a shot at equality....every1 runs mod motors with more than enuff power that u'll fight for grip regardless of how new ur tires are and make race distance such that most any battery can make the distance.

well isnt that a poetic note.

R
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone have the exact Aliso specs for silver can motors that they had for their regional?This is the basis for tech rules for the UC stop.Brandon,I think you nailed it on the head when it comes to tech.We'll see what happens.See you all Saturday! Warm up race!
It was 15,000 rpm at 5 volts. If you were going to institute motor tech rules for UC, you should have posted it. However, this will be interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.