Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree839Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Larry,
Without hatin' , a large number of us would have been racing the 103 for the last 8 years if it had not been discontinued. Once it was, people begged for its return. The 201 fell flat because it was overly complex, fragile , and Japan bailed on it before it ever took off. When the 103GT showed up people were psyched on it even though it wasn't an F1 car, and if I understand correctly, it oversold its original expectations by a large margin, to the point where Japan couldn't keep up, but did they keep it going? No and once again a loyal fan base was left with cars with no class to race in and no parts support. I work for a large corporation, and I understand that decisions made aren't always the right or smartest ones, and furthermore I don't think anyone is blaming you directly. This is a global market, and if Tamiya is going to play in it, then they need to start acknowledging their customer base in all markets, not just Japan. I have run Tamiya for 20 years, my first car was a used Grasshopper and then a Lotus 99T Roadwizard which I still have and is undergoing a restoration. I know that I am not alone when I say that we have supported both Tamiya and TCS since its inception. We have watched it grow and evolve into what it is today, and most of us will continue to do so well into the future. My point with all of this? If they bring the 103 back properly and support it, I think all of you will be surprised at how many are sold and how many show up to race.
I remember the Tamiya F10X was racing oval as F1 in 1994. Back then it was the one of the most popular classes at my local track. If there was support, sure, there would be a following.

To sum it up I don't think Tamiya Japan really cares what other contries want or do. TA is just a distribution facility that rotates Japanese presidents/co-workers in every 5 years. The Japanese have a certain pride & structure that will not allow the workers in TA or any other branch of Tamiya to dictate what needs to be done in Japan. I have seen this first hand with my wife's company, that is Japanese owned. Japan is a caste structure that at one point was closed to outsiders. I think their business practices still reflect that as well as their society.

The funny thing is if a Japanese person decides to resign from a company, like TA, they have to go back to Japan and do a walk of disgrace/shame before they are allowed to leave. Usually involves a cooridor of people and a long walk.

I think the key is you have to just enjoy what it is, support TA races and hope they release new parts to keep the F103 running. So far there has not been too bad of an availability issue. . .
Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Uuuuh, yeah.

Although it seems to me that the F150 TL-01 kit- you know, the American truck thing- was purely the idea of a TA employee and turned out to be the most successful kit they had ever sold up to that time- and maybe since.

But I do believe that there's a significant demand for F1 cars out there and that TA will sell a bunch of them as people see them reappear and run (gosh, they are so darn cool to watch). They are pretty simple and durable, though, so the potential for aftermarket/spare parts is not as great as it is for a more complex TC or offroad car...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I always liked and wanted the F150 truck, liked the scale realism along with the WW2. My dream list would have to be the Tiger and Pershing tanks,
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)
Default TCS Finals

Larry,

Any word on the rules and what motors and batteries we will be running ?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Larry whats the current count on entries?
Thanks! By the way I do not have the packaging for those items I was telling you about what should I do. Don't tell all the other mini guys either cuz I don't want them to have access to these mini parts while I am up there at the race its cool to watch them scramble once they have found out what I am running but no way to get it in time.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Aint no mini stuff that I don't have...lol

But then again my setup is far from ordinary too.

Last edited by Core Creations; 05-29-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Larry whats the current count on entries?
Thanks! By the way I do not have the packaging for those items I was telling you about what should I do. Don't tell all the other mini guys either cuz I don't want them to have access to these mini parts while I am up there at the race its cool to watch them scramble once they have found out what I am running but no way to get it in time.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

its cool to watch them scramble once they have found out what I am running but no way to get it in time
See, BK, this is where you miss out on the whole psychology thing. Instead of making the competition think you've got parts they don't know about and don't have access to (fact is everything has to be available in the USA for 30 days in order to be legal, or at least in stock at TA and available for purchase), you should talk about what you DON'T HAVE and how it's an advantage.

For example: "Man, I saved a ton of weight and completely eliminated circuit resistance by doing away with my speed control! I just use an on-off switch controlled by a micro servo. That's because my car is either at the starting line, or it's FULL THROTTLE, baby!"

See what I mean? That approach truly embodies the whole All-Or-Nothing Sir Swiftalot Lifestyle Thing, while at the same time striking terror into your fellow racers (s%#t! That guy doesn't have any brakes!) and confirming your status as a Truly Crazy Guy Who Will Do Anything To Win.

I mean, it's just a thought...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Who told you about my on/off switch micro servo speed delivery device. Great now everyone knows thanks alot Doc. And by the way these parts have been available for 10 years now and they are designed and labeled for the mini its just they have not manufactured them in a long time and about two months ago I found two of them. They are truly priceless.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Who told you about my on/off switch micro servo speed delivery device. Great now everyone knows thanks alot Doc. And by the way these parts have been available for 10 years now and they are designed and labeled for the mini its just they have not manufactured them in a long time and about two months ago I found two of them. They are truly priceless.
If it's M04 sway bar sets, I already have a couple of them. I like Doc's idea on top secret ideas. You could also tell people you left out 2/3 of the screws to make the car lighter and the chassis flex gets better bite on a low grip track. Personally, I am running no shocks on my TA05 now so I can lighten the car and don't have to worry about silly ride height adjustments on the chassis any more. And with no body roll since the chassis is really "planted" to the track, who needs sway bars either ?

Hey Doc - how long to Union City ? BTW - did you get the F103 spring thing taken care of ?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TRF ball cups

Does anybody have the part number for the TRF ball cup tree. I understand that these are stronger and greyish in color therefore less prone to pop off during racing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

53918...you'll need 2 for 4 shocks.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Why, I'm glad you asked, Kevin, because it's EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! until Union City!

Yep, got the spring in the mail yesterday courtesy of Mr. Brad Palmer, also known as Twin Daddy. Thanks, Brad!

And Swifty, just be glad I didn't tell them about the solid state switching device we've developed that doesn't even use a micro servo and actually ENHANCES voltage while reducing resistance...AND has a braking circuit that's regenerative at a higher voltage than battery output...AND makes your weenie bigger.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Why, I'm glad you asked, Kevin, because it's EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! EIGHT DAYS !!! until Union City!

Yep, got the spring in the mail yesterday courtesy of Mr. Brad Palmer, also known as Twin Daddy. Thanks, Brad!

And Swifty, just be glad I didn't tell them about the solid state switching device we've developed that doesn't even use a micro servo and actually ENHANCES voltage while reducing resistance...AND has a braking circuit that's regenerative at a higher voltage than battery output...AND makes your weenie bigger.
No problem Doc, just be sure to use it effectively
Oh, and you guys joke about micro servos, but I know of one guy who shal remain nameless who has gone as far to use a performance enhancing servo (PES) to control a certain function of the car other than steering or throttle.
???????????
Insert Charlies Angels silhouette backdrop here
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

BRAD!! SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.