Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Did a little poking around on TSA.gov.

Will somebody double check my calculations and application of the rules? I'm just a lawyer - not an engineer.

Now, the bigger question: given the multiple pages of TSA regs you have to sort through to get the rules, plus the math, what do you calculate are the odds of the typical TSA screener making the calculation correctly???
I have three points in response to this post:

A) Lawyers have more schooling than Engineers.

2) If you can't be sure how to figure it out, what makes you think the TSA guy even knows the regs exsists?

D) You, no matter what your eduation and no matter the extent of your research of ALL the propper information outlets, now armed with actual government documents and regulations and official interpretation, being an American citizen, are at the total mercy of an under-informed, under-educated, under-appreciated federal employe who by God, will not be exposed as being lax to anti-American terrorism or their ignorance, are totally F'd.

The preceeding statements are based on past experience of myself and several other RC/tech contributors and members.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Regulation details aside, my experience has been that if you install the battery in the car (and I always travel with 2-3 cars), there's never a question. If I carry spares I use an 'official battery case'- either what my SMC cells came in (fits a stick pack quite nicely, pigtail out the window of the box, rubber band keeps it closed) or what my Orion LiPo came in. Never had a question, never had a problem.

And I check...everything. Use two cases (yes, I know that's an extra $50 round trip now ) Ship your chemicals ahead of time (UPS has a nifty return label program so you can prepay shipping both ways).
Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racenut123
For those who are coming out for the Union City Ca stop,here is some recent pics of both tracks.Hope to see you all here!

Nice looking track, John -- looks huge. What are the dimensions? The back straight looks to be ~ at least 140 ft with the corner leading in.

Do you still use the Norcal/IHOP/General Electric afterburning F110-powered ultimate grip power-sprayer to keep it from getting too slippery?

bruce
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Doc
Nice looking track, John -- looks huge. What are the dimensions? The back straight looks to be ~ at least 140 ft with the corner leading in.

Do you still use the Norcal/IHOP/General Electric afterburning F110-powered ultimate grip power-sprayer to keep it from getting too slippery?

bruce
Bruce, I call Mr. Hinkley and see if he can call in a Crop Duster flyby from the Salinas Airport to lay down the Log Cabin????
"We don't need no stinking high jet powered Zamboni Sprayer"
Steve.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rccardr
Would it even be that large? But...who cares? Surely Mr. Tamiya must be pleased that someone is buying these kits, regardless of where they are coming from and where they wind up.

There's such an obvious pent-up demand for this F1 stuff. Just look at what's happened on eBay in the past week or so. A week ago, a seach for "Tamiya F1" yielded five hits. Five. This morning it was like 50, plus 80+ items in eBay stores. If you consider eBay the purest expression of an open market (sorry, that's the economist in me speaking), that's HUGE.

Last time I checked, the economy was...global.
The economy is global but sales are regional. Now if sales in Japan counted towards Europe or the U.S., I'm sure no agents would be complaining about the back door selling occurring.

Pent-up demand for Tamiya F1 doesn't necessarily mean individuals are racing them. Which means classes remain small and collectors come out of the woodwork to buy them up. A customer that purchases a kit from overseas that we have to warranty here (for any reason) ends up as cost(s) out of pocket. So where you buy it from and where it ends up pertains a huge matter to the dwindling state of the industry as it is (personal opinion of course). Try purchasing a digital camera in Japan or Asia and have it warrantied here, you'll find that it will be denied out-right.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
The economy is global but sales are regional. Now if sales in Japan counted towards Europe or the U.S., I'm sure no agents would be complaining about the back door selling occurring.

Pent-up demand for Tamiya F1 doesn't necessarily mean individuals are racing them. Which means classes remain small and collectors come out of the woodwork to buy them up. A customer that purchases a kit from overseas that we have to warranty here (for any reason) ends up as cost(s) out of pocket. So where you buy it from and where it ends up pertains a huge matter to the dwindling state of the industry as it is (personal opinion of course). Try purchasing a digital camera in Japan or Asia and have it warrantied here, you'll find that it will be denied out-right.
Using "Pent up demand" and "dwindling state of the industry" are contradictory. Global economy aside, fix the regional shortage, expand the class for TCS and everyone is happy. Racers can't race them if racers can't get them.

RC F103RM (w/Body)
Item #49498

Temporarily not in stock,
see your local hobby store or
Request Availability Notification
Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

135 back straight.We will be spraying the jungle juice as the locals call it.And yes we apply it with the sprayer that should be towed buy a 1/5 scale!I will say B3's worked almost as well as rp30's last season so if that is any help...Can you guys give me a heads up on how many east coast guys are coming?There are approx. 40 pit spaces inside and the rest will need to fend for themselves outside.I will see what I can do for you all.

Originally Posted by Doc

bruce
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 240Z
Using "Pent up demand" and "dwindling state of the industry" are contradictory. Global economy aside, fix the regional shortage, expand the class for TCS and everyone is happy. Racers can't race them if racers can't get them.

RC F103RM (w/Body)
Item #49498

Temporarily not in stock,
see your local hobby store or
Request Availability Notification
Pent up demand is in relation to a single product (in this case). The state of the industry is the big picture, in that regard it is not contradictory if you understood the relationship of the overall industry and its sales.

I doubt you could guarantee that having a kit in stock would equate to racers actually using them. The 49498 kit isn't in stock in the U.S. because it wasn't originally released for the worldwide market. Although technically speaking its still available for "racers" to get, so why aren't they using it? This is my final comment on the matter on this forum. Thank you.

EDIT: We can continue this offline for any takers
949-362-2240 (locals), 800-826-4922 (toll free customer service)
Press 0 for the receptionist and ask for Larry Chen
OR
Find me at your next TCS race (probably NorCal Hobbies)

Last edited by larrio; 05-23-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Don't get your whities in a twist, Larry- nobody's hatin' here.

I would MUCH rather have purchased this kit from my LHS, but since they didn't have it in stock, couldn't special order it & had no idea at the time when (or if) it would be available, that simply wasn't an option. I'd have ordered it directly from Tamiya USA, but at the time it was still in "not coming to the USA" status. What's a boy to do?

Well, if you're a Global Guy like me and you're willing to pay the price and the high shipping cost & take a personal risk about warranty problems, you buy it from a willing seller- wherever they happen to be located.

Will I race it? Sure, at the Canadian Finals if it turns out I can go, or at a TCS Regional or the TCS Nats if there's a class for it, or if the release of the kit in the USA once more brings out enough F1 drivers that we run it at the local club level where this all started. Will racers actually use it? Well, at one point they were wildly popular- biggest class in TCS -super simple and incredibly durable. I never really understood why Tamiya pulled the plug on them in 2001, although at the time there was a lot of talk about the licensing costs. Maybe that's why this kit came with a non-licensed bodyset.

Not sure I would equate the warranty cost burden with that of a complex electrical device, but yes, I have purchased digital cameras overseas with the same expectation that if it required warranty work it would have to be handled by the originating country's service network. It's just the cost of being a Global Guy.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

For any out of state people coming to the Union City Stop,please call the shop to have a pit spaced reserved.Ask for Kathy.510-324-5700 tell them John sent you.This will be limited to out of state participants only.Like stated there are 40 pit spaces inside.You can pit outside too but will only be provided power.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
For any out of state people coming to the Union City Stop,please call the shop to have a pit spaced reserved.Ask for Kathy.510-324-5700 tell them John sent you.This will be limited to out of state participants only.Like stated there are 40 pit spaces inside.You can pit outside too but will only be provided power.
We know how you Nor Cal people think about So Cal so does that makes us "from out of state" too ?

135' back straight ! Wow, guess I better figutre out how to get down to that 2.0 gearing for GT-2 now.

Look forward to racing with you guys again in a few weeks. Damn, that means I better start on the Concourse car soon.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
We know how you Nor Cal people think about So Cal so does that makes us "from out of state" too ?

Yeah,welcome to the state of Northern California.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Geez, what a gorgeous track! Wish I could be there in...
TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!! TWO WEEKS !!!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

If anyone is looking... http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=223620
Old 05-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
Pent up demand is in relation to a single product (in this case). The state of the industry is the big picture, in that regard it is not contradictory if you understood the relationship of the overall industry and its sales.

I doubt you could guarantee that having a kit in stock would equate to racers actually using them. The 49498 kit isn't in stock in the U.S. because it wasn't originally released for the worldwide market. Although technically speaking its still available for "racers" to get, so why aren't they using it? This is my final comment on the matter on this forum. Thank you.

EDIT: We can continue this offline for any takers
949-362-2240 (locals), 800-826-4922 (toll free customer service)
Press 0 for the receptionist and ask for Larry Chen
OR
Find me at your next TCS race (probably NorCal Hobbies)
Larry,
Without hatin' , a large number of us would have been racing the 103 for the last 8 years if it had not been discontinued. Once it was, people begged for its return. The 201 fell flat because it was overly complex, fragile , and Japan bailed on it before it ever took off. When the 103GT showed up people were psyched on it even though it wasn't an F1 car, and if I understand correctly, it oversold its original expectations by a large margin, to the point where Japan couldn't keep up, but did they keep it going? No and once again a loyal fan base was left with cars with no class to race in and no parts support. I work for a large corporation, and I understand that decisions made aren't always the right or smartest ones, and furthermore I don't think anyone is blaming you directly. This is a global market, and if Tamiya is going to play in it, then they need to start acknowledging their customer base in all markets, not just Japan. I have run Tamiya for 20 years, my first car was a used Grasshopper and then a Lotus 99T Roadwizard which I still have and is undergoing a restoration. I know that I am not alone when I say that we have supported both Tamiya and TCS since its inception. We have watched it grow and evolve into what it is today, and most of us will continue to do so well into the future. My point with all of this? If they bring the 103 back properly and support it, I think all of you will be surprised at how many are sold and how many show up to race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.