Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Let's continue the fun at the Aliso track by having fun races!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
Let's continue the fun at the Aliso track by having fun races!
or allow BRUSHLESS LIPO at nationals!!!

GT1: 10.5
GT2: 13.5 or 17.5
Mini: 21.5 or 17.5
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great job!

Congratulations Timmy and Tony! Timmy you were looking fast the last time I practiced at Tamiya. Keep it up and get that PS3...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
or allow BRUSHLESS LIPO at nationals!!!

GT1: 10.5
GT2: 13.5 or 17.5
Mini: 21.5 or 17.5
I am only talking about Minis. These are my thoughts on that class
1. Go either one or the other or you'll have another motor controversy that
will make the present one pale in comparison.
2. Is there a definitive study that's been done on which brushless system is comparable to what is now being done?
3. Any one brave enough out there to try to administer that situation?
4. Whose system do we use? One or all?????
5. And on and on and on
6. I'm tired of the controversies now
Old 03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Granpa,
Brushless mini, It has been tested at Trackside's Novak Race this year with a 17.5. I do not how everyone liked it? Minidriver could answer this one.
Dave
Old 03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

pictures and results are up.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/...tcs_race-id=75
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
Granpa,
Brushless mini, It has been tested at Trackside's Novak Race this year with a 17.5. I do not how everyone liked it? Minidriver could answer this one.
Dave
Dave, I know about the Trackside experiment but that was done with one system. Know very little about brushless but do know that there is more than one system out there. The Aussies ran a test comparing 2 or 3 systems against a Black can and seems they found them to comparable, however,as I recall no mention of the silver can. They also found differences in performance betweenthe different systems. If you will notice, there don't seem to be many brushed/brushless races any more. If they allow brushless, eventually everyone runs brushless. Now is that because of the convenience, low maintenance, etc. of brushless or is it that they are just faster. I only race Mini these days so can't speak for the racers in the other classes, but if brushed was faster they would still be the motor of choice.
Given all that, I agree it would level the playing field if everyone ran brushless and lipos. With this one proviso, everyone runs Company X's 19.576 or 17.342 or 20.47 system. Afterall, we are running one companies motors now to the exclusion of any one elses w/out incident.
With that, I'll leave this discussion to people more knowledgeable.
Oh by the way, met Marty, one of your Wisc. guys at the regionals this weekend. Promised to take me some where like Sil's or Sal's or whatever, if I ever got to Trackside. Seems like a great guy, but don't kow if he's entirely trustworthy. From the look on his face, I think he's trying to get me in a heap of trouble. He did say, he'd never been there himself, but he'd heard it was a great place.
Bob
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks Fred, Gary , Larry and Andrew for the great job at what might be but maybe not the last Tamiya race at Tamiya.

Big thanks to my team mates Tony and Chen-Hwa, brother Terence and pit mates Anthony, Alan, Martin and Johnny. Obvisouly I need to learn more Cantonese. You guys helped keep the fun up and the stress down this weekend.

Some great battles in GT-2 and GT-3. Kudo's to Tony for the TQ and win in both. The motor wars/concerns at the track were minimal. It was well noted by Fred that the winning GT-3 car was not the fastest car on the straight. GT-2 was great for the confusion factor for the fans (and some drivers). Top 4 finishers in the A were all orange / white painted IFS cars. Should have heard Fred trying to figure out which one was which. Poor Chris was like a sheep in a wolf pack with his gold NSX.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yup, another fun TCS event. Big thanks to the Tamiya crew! Nothing compares to a Tamiya race!

Quick question though:

1. Is the brushless/lipo format going to fly for National's as well?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Oh by the way, met Marty, one of your Wisc. guys at the regionals this weekend. Promised to take me some where like Sil's or Sal's or whatever, if I ever got to Trackside. Seems like a great guy, but don't kow if he's entirely trustworthy. From the look on his face, I think he's trying to get me in a heap of trouble. He did say, he'd never been there himself, but he'd heard it was a great place.
Bob
Granpa, The name of the place is 'SILK'. It is right near the hotel that has a great trackside rate, and from what I hear I think you would really enjoy the show . I promise I won't let you get in too much trouble...

Dave, sorry to say, but Bob Clark couldn't make it. I heard he had an accident while taking a bath . I think Jay could fill you in as i think they are good friends by now. I know Doc was sad he didn't get to meet him.

WOW, that about sums up the Aliso TCS event. By far the most: fun, laid back, weird weather, motor controversy, close racing, highs and lows, relaxed pits, Fred's mixed metaphores and makin friends Tamiya America track days. During the break before the mains we figured out I have approximatly 87 days running at this track. This makes this track my second home track next to Trackside so I should know what I am talking about this one time.

Thanks again to all the new friends, all the old friends (even Don), and the entire TAMIYA crew for making this one of my fondest RC memories of all time. You all know who you are.....

I took a great photo of the awesum sunset over the last event at this historic track. I'll try and post it Tuesday night.

Later,
Marty

Oh, allmost forgot... Tim, fun running with you again and you should be proud of how well James stepped up this weekend. He is truely a future champion!!! James, keep at it and you WILL be school'n pops soon. Great job.

I hope to see you all again at TCS Nationals here in Wisconsin in a few months. I guarentee you will love Trackside, and it won't matter if it rains (or snows) cause the track is ALLWAYS great!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Cool

Originally Posted by GTRtuned
Congratulations Timmy and Tony! Timmy you were looking fast the last time I practiced at Tamiya. Keep it up and get that PS3...
hey thanks everyone
had one of the best times out there as you can imagine.
hope that we can all do it again soon
hey the Tamiya track is still going to be open for at least another month 1/2
everyone get out there and lets race

hey maybe chris can finally finish a 5 min. race
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Brushless in mini is great. At the novak race we ran 17.5 motors with the 20t pinion in the cars and it was fantastic. I am a fan of the brushless mini myself, being a guy who just has never found a fast mabuchi. My only opinion on the subject is it seems to me the guys who are for mabuchi motors in the mini are guys who have some great motors which whether you want to believe it or not is true, cause you cannot tell me when a car catches you and puts 3 lengths on you just in the straight away is carrying more corner speed ( i highly doubt it ).

Brushless motor seem to be a great equalizer. They even out the field as far as motors go and since they have already let us run lipo packs ( which i did at the trackside tcs and loved it ) why not let us run a 17.5 motor in the mini.

Either way i will still run mini at the nationals if it is at trackside. My question is for the nationals do they run silver cans you bring yourself or do they do a hand out motor ?

+ 1 for brushless lipo mini at the nationals (17.5 motor )

Last edited by wallstreet; 03-04-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gibbous
Thanks Tamiya crew for a fun two days! All of your made it easy to just have fun.

This was my first race with brushless/lipo. If you are still on the sidelines as far as this technology, stop waiting.
I concur. The "Future" is here, with brushless motor systems and Lipo batteries. I spent a hecka less time fussing with battery discharging/charging and motor tuning. Who knows what they'll be using in r/c cars 20 years down the road, but brushless/lipo sure help to put (or at least increase) the fun faction back into racing again.

Was really happy to make this event. I hadn't ran the TA05 since the Nats last August and the M03m since the 2006 KO Propo race, I still had lots `o fun. It was good to see everybody again, and thanks for the warm welcome back. Even though it might be the last TCS race there, I'm still looking forward to running TCS in the future...

We'll have to wait and see what's in store for Tamiya, down the road.

TC
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mini master
hey thanks everyone
had one of the best times out there as you can imagine.
hope that we can all do it again soon
hey the Tamiya track is still going to be open for at least another month 1/2
everyone get out there and lets race

hey maybe chris can finally finish a 5 min. race
hey i finished my GT2 A3 main. and i even made it entertaining!

i seriously think there's something wrong with the esc in my GT1 car. that kept happening in practice too.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm curious if anyone else ever experienced Spektrum glitching this weekend or at anytime at the Tamiya track. I had problems in my main, even though it was fine for all the qualifiers. Didn't change anything on my car from the last clean run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.