Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by Juan Aveytia; 01-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Good luck to all this season in the TCS series. For those who are lucky enough to win the championship this year, your in for one awesome trip. I haven't posted in a long time. I would just like to take a moment to thank Hiro, Fred, Michael and the rest of the Tamiya America crew for sending me on an amazing trip. I have some great memories that will last forever. Ling, Tony, Devon You guy's made the trip so much fun. Seeing Ling drunk off his ass , was so damn funny. Tony I don't know you had dance moves like that. Devon seems to always find a way to get the most out of the motors. Thanks for helping me TQ. And to all the people from Tamiya Japan. Thanks for being such gracious host to all of Team USA. Whoever wins this trip, your in for a trip you won't ever forget. Good Luck To You All

PS: Whoever goes this year please find a school girl outfit , So I can give it to my wife as a joke. Could find 1 anywhere. And none of the girls spoke any english. Thanks in advance LOL
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Maybe there should be a new requirment of a reinforced steel box for charging IB4200s!!
I would be more afraid to charge them then a lipo pack.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Scotty asked me to post this:

All Lipo charging at Trackside must be done in an approved, appropriate Lipo SACK.

Trackside has allready sold out of there first order of Lipo Sacks. More are on their way.

If at all posible, I would recomend bringing a Lipo sack with you as I am sure he won't have dozens available on race weekend. I am certain he will try his best to have some available for purchase for those that don't have one when they get there.

I was told there will be no exceptions.

Any questions, please call trackside @ 262-783-4699.

Marty (the messnger only, so please, do not shoot)
OK....I can cancel my hotel reservation now.................WHAT? LIPO SACK?

I didn't know last year when I was using the 3200 on the F103GT was illegal...

Those sack just look stupid...and I ain't no buying those sack. I just quit.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Solara

Why do so many of you cry about everything. Keep in mind these precautions are only for the safety of us all. No one was complaining about the 4200 cells until they started to blow up in everyone's face. They're just making sure nothing happens to any of us. Quit Bitching about everything you can think of. And try to have Fun.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow...quitting a hobby because you need a $10-$20 piece of something. I think that's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I don't really "like" the idea either since I charge my batteries very carefully but if that single little ugly bag means I can use my LiPo batteries and not have to invest in all the crap that goes along with NiMh...then it's a VERY SMALL price to pay and I won't complain even a little bit. Tamiya approved LiPo first and along with their cars...are always on the cutting edge. Maybe the bag is overkill but as they say..."better safe than sorry". They could also require everyone running LiPo to have a proper class fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand available too but they don't so it isn't enough of an issue to even worry about.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Scotty asked me to post this:

All Lipo charging at Trackside must be done in an approved, appropriate Lipo SACK.

Trackside has allready sold out of there first order of Lipo Sacks. More are on their way.

If at all posible, I would recomend bringing a Lipo sack with you as I am sure he won't have dozens available on race weekend. I am certain he will try his best to have some available for purchase for those that don't have one when they get there.

I was told there will be no exceptions.

Any questions, please call trackside @ 262-783-4699.

Marty (the messnger only, so please, do not shoot)
Hey Messenger Marty,
Is there a list of "approved" sacks out there anywhere?

My LHS had two sacks to choose from, but neither one of them has any sort of "approved by" badges. I'm assuming the Racer's Edge Lipo bag will be acceptable. It's not as dorky as the other ones.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OK...fine, just $30 more. Try to have fun, right....?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry to all the Illinois-ans who took offense to my comment. It was more directed to AKO and whom ever agrees with him.
I'm sure Tamiya America needs your "valuable" input after 14 miserable years running a TCS series that is as popular now than ever before. Maybe you guys can call Japan and talk to Mr. Tamiya and have Fred and company fired and YOU can take their jobs and run the TCS into the ground with your HPI ideas!

Has everybody forgot why we play with toy cars???

Like Juan said: Quit your bitchen and try to have fun!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Hey Messenger Marty,
Is there a list of "approved" sacks out there anywhere?

My LHS had two sacks to choose from, but neither one of them has any sort of "approved by" badges. I'm assuming the Racer's Edge Lipo bag will be acceptable. It's not as dorky as the other ones.
Bill,
That is why I posted the phone number for ttrackside. I provided the information at the request of Scotty as a service to the R/C racers coming to the TCS event.

The following is an editorial opinion of the writter and may not necessarily be the same as the views of Trackside managment:
IMHO, Tracks around the country now have there hands tied by ROAR's new rulings. The, a'hem, leading r/c sanctioning body in the US has declaired using a lipo sack is the only SAFE way lipos should be charged. If, forbid, some thing were to happen while a lipo was charging, the track owner would have no valid reason or legal excuse to allow this "unsafe" practice by its patrons at their place of business. They have to go with the flow!

I think the "approved, appropriate" phrase is eliminate the argument that my old grade school pencil pouch is a lipo safe charging bag. (m I showing my age?) lol

I have been using lipos for over a year now. I use only Orion/Peak lipos and have extreme confidence in the product. I have seen many lipo 'events' that were deliberately initiated (both on the net and live demonstration). They have been spectacular. I have never seen or heard of a lipo 'event' on any hard case lipo assembled from quality cells.

I have seen and heard (ears ringing) NiMh cells 'GO OFF' on severall occasions! In a few, people were struck by debris and as rugrat relayed above, eye flushing was administered quickly and with appearent success releaving the imediate concerns of all around on more than one occasion. All the NiMh 'events' I personally wittnessed were packs charged and handled by experienced r/c racers that do not abuse their equipment IMO. They were truely unforseen accidents.

Do I think I will be near more NiMh "event' when they occur, you betcha!

Do I think I will ever see a single non-deliberate lipo 'event', in a word NO!

I don't like the idea of being required to use a lipo safe or lipo sack because I don't think any thing will happen, but I truely understand and can appreciate and respect Tracksides position and I will gladly comply. As muahdib4 said, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hmm let me think a second and compare what I have been for awhile. Here are the options as I for see them. I don't like the sack idea alot myself but I rather be safe then sorry.

1. One 3200 lipo + a lipo sack + charger = $215.00(Less or more depends).
2. Four packs of ep4600's + battery bars + connectors(if used) + shrink wrap(if used) + charger + discharger + tray = ?

Most people have been doing option two for many years. I myself have been trying to do for many years. What would any extra $30.00 be for your pit neighbor and your safety. If you had a child would that extra money be spent on extra safety or extra money?

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Bill,
That is why I posted the phone number for ttrackside. I provided the information at the request of Scotty as a service to the R/C racers coming to the TCS event.
I had emailed Scotty already, but at your insistence gave him a call. The Racers Edge sack is approved!

They are going to pick 3-4 reputable vendors' sacks and consider them the "approved" Lipo sacks to use at Trackside. I'm guessing the other sack at my LHS wouldn't have made the cut, because it wasn't an industry standard brand. I think he picked it up from one of his Lipo vendors.

I personally have no issue using a Lipo sack to be safe. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago to store my Lipos around the house. No knock against the Orion packs, but my other Lipos are exposed and have me worried.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

yea, i dunno... since the beginning of the IB cell, i have seen 3 NiMh pop like firecrackers, one locally, one at a race in TX, and one at an out of town race(Novak this year)... and i have seen one Lipo fire in TX in that same time. i wouldnt say that i think one is more safe than the other, just to each his own, i guess... personally, i dont have any Lipo batteries, but am planning on ordering one... for my transmitter.

and for the record, i dont think it is Tamiya requiring the Sack, its Scotty at Trackside... that is his policy, from what i hear. not a lot of expense to provide a little safety.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

This safety thing is out of control....Lipos have been around for years.

Do you charge your cell phone in an approved safety sack ?

Dont think so.

The hard case is in lieu of the sack.

Last edited by lbckevin; 01-28-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Why a LIPO sack?

I don't like the idea of being required to use a lipo safe or lipo sack because I don't think any thing will happen..
There is a reason for mandating liposacks. As long as people are switching back and forth between NIMH and LIPO's, there will be instances where a LIPO is charged under a NIMH setting. I've done it, and I've known a lot of other people who have done it. Charging most LIPOs under a NIMH setting will eventually lead to a fire.

Originally Posted by lbckevin
This safety thing is stupid....Lipos have been around for years.

Do you charge your cell phone in an approved safety sack ?
Cellphone batteries have a triple level safety redundancy. 1. they have a charge circuit designed to only charge 1 cell. 2. they have an additional overcharge cutoff circuitry built into the leads of the battery. 3. Their AC adapter is limited in voltage and current to minimize the extent of an overcharge.

RC cells have only 1 level of safety: assuming you have your charger set correctly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.