Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree792Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It really is ashame the amount of moaning and groaning that goes on about the TCS series here in the USA. After all it is a great racing series put on for free by a very limited staff. I have to think that if they could there would be alot more regionals around the USA, but don't forget that RC is not the only thing Tamiya does. Instead of saying what Tamiya should and shouldn't do we all should be thanking Larry, Fred, and the rest of Tamiya America for what they are doing. What they do is a thankless job. They are open to feedback and they give very valid reasons behind what they can and can not do. Let's appreciate what we have and not drive Tamiya to get rid of the series because they just can't please everyone and they don't want to hear all the moaning and groaning anymore.

As for the rules how much do they really change every year we all have a pretty good idea of what the classes are going to be each year and how often does everyone really change classes they compete in year to year.

And Jeff to through that HPI had their rules and schedule in place in september was really uncalled for. How successful is that series? The Tamiya TCS is far superior. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying that you have to race in the TCS series. If you don't like what they are doing go run in the HPI series with handful of others that are running that series.

Larry, Fred, and the rest of Tamiya America Thank you for the opportunity to race in your series. My son and I look forward to it every year and have alot of fun racing in it no matter where we finish at the end of the weekend.

Thanks
Larry
Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Larrio,

Have you guys started to ship yet....? I placed an order on the 14th and have not received it yet....
Yep, yep.....Same here! I'm holding my breath that my TB01 parts come in before I head up to Trackside.

Maybe they outsourced the rules/schedule to the same slow pokes that they use for the warehouse now.

J/K. Larry is my hero!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

At the risk of being a kiss ass, but why don't you guys lay off of Larry a bit, he's probably telling us too much already and all you guys are s?*$&ing all over him.
I have had frustrations with things in the past as well, but they seem to be more on top of things this year. I don't know when the decisions for the rule changes were made, but who cares, they are out and they are great. If you look at where the TCS came from and where it is today, it is incredible. If you didn't read the earlier posts that Fred made and take the undertones as hints, then shame on you. The fact that they were running brushless/lipo at the fun races should have given it away. The extent of my knowledge of what is going on at TA is that they are pretty much hogtied by Japan, and in my opinion, if they let Fred do things his way, we would all be blown away. Contrary to alot of beliefs, there is a TCS series this year and I am sure they will do everything they can to make it rock. Working for the big three in Detroit, I can tell you that things aren't getting any easier out there, and if I had to guess, I would say that Tamiya is feeling it too.
Just my $.25
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccardr
Not to throw stones or pile on, Larry, but A-Ko makes a good point about The Coliseum. Beautiful indoor facility that:
1) hosted a TCS event in 2006 at the last minute when another track went out of business (and did a darn good job of it, too)
2) has lots of Tamiya guys there and a whole wall full of parts and tires
3) put on their OWN TCS-like event, right down to Tamiya rules, free kits to the winners, out of town drivers, the whole thing, in 2007 -without ANY support from Tamiya
4) requested a 2008 event and...never got a call back or response to their e-mail.

Hey, I work at a busy company too, and we're also short of help- and getting smaller every day. But believe me, there are at least a half dozen tracks that support Tamiya products and could have hosted a TCS event in 2008 and done a very competent job at it.

Amen Doc, The Coliseum in Frederick, Md very much does deserve a TCS Race I consider this my Home Track now here on the east coast and I live 6 hours away round trip! They do stock a nice array of Tamiya parts and the owner is very much accomodating. I hope the Powers @ Tamiya will consider this facility in the future? fantastic indoor asphalt track and clean pit area and restrooms! I know there is the Hobby Works scenario in Laurel but there would be a huge turnout if Tamiya would consider?
SH.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Not to throw stones or pile on, Larry, but A-Ko makes a good point about The Coliseum. Beautiful indoor facility that:
1) hosted a TCS event in 2006 at the last minute when another track went out of business (and did a darn good job of it, too)
3) put on their OWN TCS-like event, right down to Tamiya rules, free kits to the winners, out of town drivers, the whole thing, in 2007 -without ANY support from Tamiya
4) requested a 2008 event and...never got a call back or response to their e-mail.

Hey, I work at a busy company too, and we're also short of help- and getting smaller every day. But believe me, there are at least a half dozen tracks that support Tamiya products and could have hosted a TCS event in 2008 and done a very competent job at it.

Amen Doc, The Coliseum in Frederick, Md very much does deserve a TCS Race I consider this my Home Track now here on the east coast and I live 6 hours away round trip! They do stock a nice array of Tamiya parts and the owner is very much accomodating. I hope the Powers @ Tamiya will consider this facility in the future? fantastic indoor asphalt track and clean pit area and restrooms! I know there is the Hobby Works scenario in Laurel but there would be a huge turnout if Tamiya would consider?
SH.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

SH.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Amen Doc, I second the call for them to get a TCS Event, Bruce and I attended that race and it was a very successful event! I know there might be some Politics involved due to the Laurel factor but I think this should be put aside if so and give Frederick,Md a TCS event? The Indoor Asphalt surface is probably the best track surface I've raced on and in my 30+ year RC racing career that might be something to consider? The time of the year and the weather would not be a factor here?
SH.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

The warehouse resumed shipping on Monday 1/21/08. I'm hoping they get everything out by the end of the week.

As for the criticism... that's how we are able to grow, right? Just remember that improvements are made one step at a time. I've only been involved with TCS for one full year. Last year was a lot to learn and I'm starting to get the hang of helping Fred and Gary out, and thereby making TCS run more smoothly. Come on, give me some credit here! We got the rules out earlier this year than last year, lipos are allowed now, brushless is allowed now, there is one extra east coast track, AND one last finale at Aliso. From my notes last year, that seems to be a good lot of what people were asking for. **Just remember that there are two sides to every story** Keeping whining to the Tamiya rep at your regional race for IL and MD to come back strong, I'm sure it will happen.

Rest assured that I won't settle for less and any complaints or disgruntled people can voice their opinions... and not in vain. All I ask is for a little understanding. After all, I am doing at home while i'm eating dinner in front of the computer at 8 pm. (Wow, I must have NO life. )

EDIT: I'm working on a TCS package for retail shops. So if you know of a reputable or interested shop, please have them contact me (or send me a PM)
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TCS

TCS is the cornerstone of my son's racing. I bought a TA05 for my son 2 years ago just because we saw a flyer for the 2006 TCS at the Laurel HobbyWorks. We were upgrading from a Radio Shack XMOD. We could have easily bought a Traxxas, HPI, or LOSI RTR that day based on price. The Laurel TCS race was held the following weekend and the salesman suggested the TA05 just because it was eligible for TCS. The atmosphere during the race day was a very warm welcome into EP TC racing. We haven't look back since. We have been racing every weekend since up and down the east coast.

Therefore, from this experience, I fully agree with an earlier post about the "chicken and the egg". Bring a TCS race to a region and advertise it well in advance, and local Tamiya sales will shoot through the roof.

I don't understand. The Laurel Hobbyworks does not have a race program anymore. I frequently inquire about TCS and nobody there knows what I am talking about. The Tamiya parts have dwindled down to a very old stock and moved to make way for a larger Traxxas parts display. Therefore, it seems like they are only special ordering at this time. Yet, Laurel gets a TCS race.

We live 10 miles from Laurel, but we travel 65 miles each weekend to Hobbytown in Frederick (Coliseum) or Glen Burnie to race. These 2 store support racing 110% and have many Tamiya owners. We have several people successfully racing Tamiya TA05 against Xray, Corrally, Schumacher and other high end kits. Tamiya parts support and availability is so poor from the distributers that many people are ordering from Hong Kong dealers. We had 4 guys show up at a recent race at the Track in Gaithersburg, MD with TRF416's. All ordered from oversees. These Tamiya sales will never show up in the Tamiya USA charts. How can RC kits and parts come from Asia faster than Texas or California?

Two of these TRF416's were converts from XRAY. The success of the TRF415 at the Reedy race has definitely left an impression of these racers that never seriously considered Tamiya before. Therefore, a successfully racing program is key to future Tamiya sales.

The ROAR region 2 has many national ranked drivers. I was amazed when many of them put aside their normal rides and showed up at the Coliseum TRF last year with their Tamiya's in tow. It also seemed that Tamiya and TCS were also the start of their racing. The atmosphere at the TRF was great, but it was not a replacement for an official TCS event.

Over a dozen racers in this area are currently preparing to go to Snowbirds. We and maybe another dozen racers will bypass Snowbirds and are already talking about and preparing for the local TCS races. This is how we value TCS.

So please meet us half way. It would be very, very nice if the Coliseum and RC Madness/Excitement were added to the 2008 TCS schedule.

... Sorry for the long post. I rest my case.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Some of the comments are being made by drivers who have raced in the TCS for many years, and really like the series and would like to make it better. I have no idea how the selection process is done. I've run the TCS for three years. Last year at the Maryland race the guys working at Hobbyworks, when I went in, didn't know where the race was held. I figured it out based on the pictures taken from Tamiya's website. Hobbyworks had their trailer stolen last year and they said they would replace it. Did they? Last year the race was run by a crew from a Hobbytown store. I'm sorry I don't recall what suburb it was from. I agree with the A-Ko statement about getting the schedule out sooner. I think most people commenting here greatly appreciate the Tamiya series, but would also like to see it grow.

Larrio - Is Tamiya America or Tamiya Japan limiting the TCS bidget to the point that you are restricted on the number of races you can run?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I 3rd that!! I was disappointed that the RCO track closed and lost the TCS race. But was very happy to hear the Coliseum picked it right up. Then I was disappointed to hear that the Coliseum didn't get the TCS race last year. I was hoping they would this year. But I guess not. They attract all the TCS racers that the RCO has had. And they get the Laurel crowd too. I would vote to allow them to get a TCS race in the future. It's about a 10/11 hour round trip drive for me. But it's some of the funnest racing that I do every year. Anyways, hope to catch some of yall in July at Laurel.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
As for the criticism... that's how we are able to grow, right? Just remember that improvements are made one step at a time. I've only been involved with TCS for one full year. Last year was a lot to learn and I'm starting to get the hang of helping Fred and Gary out, and thereby making TCS run more smoothly. Come on, give me some credit here! We got the rules out earlier this year than last year, lipos are allowed now, brushless is allowed now, there is one extra east coast track, AND one last finale at Aliso. From my notes last year, that seems to be a good lot of what people were asking for. **Just remember that there are two sides to every story** Keeping whining to the Tamiya rep at your regional race for IL and MD to come back strong, I'm sure it will happen.

Rest assured that I won't settle for less and any complaints or disgruntled people can voice their opinions... and not in vain. All I ask is for a little understanding.
Larry,
Thanks for being so open with us. I wish I had an internet forum where everyone could discuss and criticize my day job

I wouldn't consider it criticism though. You have a passionate customer base that wants to see Tamiya grow and succeed - that's a good thing.

My personal feeling is more TCS regional races and/or somehow encouraging and supporting non-sanctioned TCS races for those venues that can't jump through the right hoops would be a way for Tamiya to grow.

Back to the fun stuff:
Trackside TCS in TWO WEEKS AND TWO DAYS, TWO WEEKS AND TWO DAYS, TWO WEEKS AND TWO DAYS,...

The Trackside TCS races these last couple years have been the highlights of me and my son's RC racing. Thanks Tamiya, Larry, Fred, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-scott-derek-2.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-derek-scott-tcs-2007.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default TCS and Laurel, MD

Can people in this forum please not disparage hobbyworks in laurel in their zeal to get a race at the the coliseum in frederick? For the last 3 years, the turnouts for the regular parking lot races at hobbyworks have been 10-15 guys, many times less, even though hobbyworks took the time and expense to set up a track for all to come out. You can't expect hobbyworks to be gung ho in setting up a track for racers when hardly any show up. This is in contrast to the 40+ guys that would show up every weekend 5 years ago. Hopefully this year things will change.

The ideal situation would be to have 2 races, 1 at the coliseum, and 1 at Laurel. The coliseum is a premiere indoor asphault facility with excellent near carpet traction on race days. Laurel is a temporary track on a bumpy and uneven parking lot. The only thing these two have in common is that they are both tracks and are both asphault. If anything, laurel is more in the spirit of the original tcs races -> outdoor parking lots.

In terms of tcs selling a huge amount of tamiya stuff, I have to disagree. Tamiya minis have always sold well and have become a known class simply because racers like them. The other uniquely tamiya classes like f1 and f103gt have had a roller coaster of popularity but haven't been very popular for years. So tamiya is left with 4wd touring cars in the tcs which they would probably sell regardless. (Look at traxxas, where do you race them?) How many unique people actually show up at all of the tcs races around the country? 300?

I have always liked tamiya kits because I thought they were durable, realistic, and fun. I own 4 tamiya cars at the moment and would love to see more tcs races, but knocking hobbyworks and cutting off your nose despite your face is not smart.

Last edited by billjacobs; 01-24-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, there are some issues that need to be addressed:
(1) The Coliseum emailed us about a TCS site and never got a reply? That's disturbing if indeed true. We respond to ALL emails.

(2) TCS co-exists with about 8-10 shows that we attend per year, not including preparation for new releases and website material to sync shows that Japan attends. The season is only Feb to Aug, so 7 months total (Sept to rest, Oct to prep, Nov the Worlds, Dec & Jan to recoup & plan for next year). There are 7 regionals for TCS '08, so effectively one per month (The entire month of April is booked for shows). There 4 people total within customer service and marketing for TCS. One person has to be at all the TCS events. One less in customer service means less calls answered (and there are enough angry people at this already). Marketing has artwork deadlines, ad modification, ad creation, ad printing, website corrections, etc. So when I say that we are running at max capacity, it's not exaggeration. (This doesn't mean we can't improve, as I said, just a little bit of understanding).

Yes, I am tired. I'll be putting up a PDF in the TCS section that a LHS can download to apply for TCS with general rules and guidelines. I'm working on it now, so expect it in a few weeks once it gets approved.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Any idea when the 54000 TRF mini shocks will be available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.