Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree839Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
  #7336  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation B3's

Speaking of B3 tires. Anybody looking for some. I can get 12 sets and if I buy a quantity I can get them for around $27. If anyone is interested let me know!
maxepower is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 PM
  #7337  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Ahh yes the age old "limit the sets of tires" discussion.
I know that Aliso over the past couple of years has become notorious for shredding tires in a run or 2 , but moshmike is right, if you take care of the tires on carpet, a new set will go the whole weekend. With the triple A format, maybe a set for qualifying and a set for the mains. But this fallacy that a new set is required for every run is insane. I dont know what the answer is, there will always be one or two that have bottomless pockets and exercise them. I think if you limited the number of sets , it would put more strategy into the equation, which could be cool. I have probably seen my last Aliso event anyways, so it makes no difference to me.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
  #7338  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TA-03

Originally Posted by inconceivable
I've been out of racing for a few years now and recently dug up an old TA03F-Pro in my garage. Since I live in Aliso Viejo, I'd like to try and enter the next TCS event at that track. That said, I was reviewing the rules last night and it appears that the GT-3 and GT-2 classes require a "tub chassis". If this is true, is the only class I can participate in the GT-1 ? Thanks !
Why don't you ask here on this thread if somebody has a tub chassis for the 03. I sure someone has a used tub gathering dust in their closet that they don't need. I'm only saying this because the TA-03 Pro will be at a disadvantage in GT-1. Your better off converting to tub using your parts from the composite chassis and run GT-2 or GT-3. That should be more competitive in either class.
Just my 2$
maxepower is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
  #7339  
Tech Adept
 
larrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 199
Default

I've always been told that there are no tire set limits for regionals. I've seen people using new tires every heat to end up in the D-main, and the exact opposite also. Driving style, track surface, and tire management play huge roles.

Now if this issue is really that widespread, the easiest thing to do is to make your point known to your local race director and the Tamiya rep at the specific TCS race. We all have to jump through hoops to get things done!

Note: go easy on the Tamiya rep if it happens to be me at your local race.
larrio is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
  #7340  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Larrio - On you earlier comment addressing the question of hosting races. I don't pretend to know anything about the international hobby industry. But, there are a lot of very loyal Tamiya fans out there that enjoy the TCS, or wold like to participate. I would assume that one of goals of the TCS is to promote Tamiya products. People travel long distances to participate. At the Memphis race there were people from all points South and as far North as Wisconsin. I don't know how locations are selected, but I think that if you chose a metropolitan area any where in the U.S. you would find Tamiya fans. I race in a parking lot series at the Hobbytown in St. Charles, IL. There are lot of Tamiya drivers from the Chicago area who race there. You have a winter race in Milwaukee, why not a summer race in the Chicago area? Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, IL, is a good Tamiya seller, but doesn't have a racing series. Couldn't one, two or three hobby shops pool their efforts? I'm sure this experience is similar throughout the U.S.
MD is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
  #7341  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29
Default

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
You can determine what insert to use. Just use a specified sets of tires. For example, if you are allowed to use 3 sets per class, then bring 3 sets to be teched and marked as long as you are using Tamiya tires and rims.
i agree ,three sets limit,and if u qlfy for the triple a main u get one more set at the trk..tire wear would be a added strategy just like real gt racing,that would ad fun.
LAPDOG is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
  #7342  
Tech Addict
 
gtypecanare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 534
Default

Here is the hot ticket for tire management for the TCS Regional at Aliso Viejo for any GT class. All you need is 5 sets if the weather is typical.

Set 1-Practice
Set 2-Q1
Set 2-Q2
Set 3-Q3 @ Happy Hour
Set 3-Q4 time to protect your TQ or use your 4th set to make it in to the show
Set 4-A1
Set 5-A2
Set 4/5-A3

All I got to say the insert of choice is "pink"

Last edited by gtypecanare; 01-23-2008 at 08:59 AM.
gtypecanare is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 AM
  #7343  
Tech Adept
 
larrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 199
Default

Originally Posted by MD
Larrio - On you earlier comment addressing the question of hosting races. I don't pretend to know anything about the international hobby industry. But, there are a lot of very loyal Tamiya fans out there that enjoy the TCS, or wold like to participate. I would assume that one of goals of the TCS is to promote Tamiya products. People travel long distances to participate. At the Memphis race there were people from all points South and as far North as Wisconsin. I don't know how locations are selected, but I think that if you chose a metropolitan area any where in the U.S. you would find Tamiya fans. I race in a parking lot series at the Hobbytown in St. Charles, IL. There are lot of Tamiya drivers from the Chicago area who race there. You have a winter race in Milwaukee, why not a summer race in the Chicago area? Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, IL, is a good Tamiya seller, but doesn't have a racing series. Couldn't one, two or three hobby shops pool their efforts? I'm sure this experience is similar throughout the U.S.
There used to be a TCS race in Detroit, although I am unsure of the details of why it ended (it was before my time). Although one could suspect it was due to racer turnout. We definitely aren't appointing TCS sites with a magic wand, it's not like that. As I said before, there are certain hoops to jump through.

A couple of racers have PM'ed me regarding a race in IL next year. I have informed the sales rep handling that shop. A Tamiya supporter with an existing race program and a healthy turnout has a high possibility to become a TCS location. And I'm sure other TCS stores will more than gladly help new ones get started. After all, we are all in this together.
larrio is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
  #7344  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
moshmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trackside, Wisconsin/Seal Bay Alaska
Posts: 809
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I would LOVE a TCS race in Illinois! 2 races in a days drive! I don't make it to other regionals anymore now that I have a mortgage!!!
I miss going back to Cali and Memphis!
moshmike is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
  #7345  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Wicked-Wayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Do you feel you're a star?
Posts: 2,033
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by moshmike
I don't make it to other regionals anymore now that I have a mortgage!!!
Didn't know they started charging for igloo's.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Wicked-Wayz is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
  #7346  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by larrio
There used to be a TCS race in Detroit, although I am unsure of the details of why it ended (it was before my time). Although one could suspect it was due to racer turnout. We definitely aren't appointing TCS sites with a magic wand, it's not like that. As I said before, there are certain hoops to jump through.

A couple of racers have PM'ed me regarding a race in IL next year. I have informed the sales rep handling that shop. A Tamiya supporter with an existing race program and a healthy turnout has a high possibility to become a TCS location. And I'm sure other TCS stores will more than gladly help new ones get started. After all, we are all in this together.
Larry's used to host the TCS Detroit races. The problem was he changed sites 2 days before Sunday's race. Not everybody knew the change or were prepared for the change, myself included. Also Larry's hobbyshop did not have the parts to support such a change, mainly tires. There seems to be rumblings in that area again for another race. It is all water under the bridge for me and I would consider going to a race in that area.

So far there have been only 2 TCS races in Illinois, both tracks were one hit wonders.

From what I read earlier it seems like the hoops are too small for tracks to jump through in regards to hosting a TCS race. Example is the Coleseum who took over when Hanover, PA went away at the last minute. Since they could not get a race last year, they hosted their own Tamiya race.

To be honest my disappointment runs in the late scheduling and late rules. The latest rules has been amended many times. Not saying that is bad not to be "perfect" but saying that the rules could have come out in September or better yet just after the Nats along with a schedule. The changes for 2008 were already decided by the 07 Nats, not everybody had the priveledge of knowing them.. Friends that annually plan for TCS Trackside cannot go because they made other plans for something that needs to plan well in advance not less than 2 months. Also with big companies vacation time, is not always available last minute. My friends assumption was on a annual past March date, not a February one.

I noticed your competitor HPI has released their rules/schedule in November and also has a list of tracks that have no dates but will have shortly. Having as much advanced notice as possible only helps people to plan for what they are doing, vacation time, parts buying, testing and loading the hickman hauler. I know if I had gotten the rules earlier, like by Oct, my Christmas list would have been totally different.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
  #7347  
Tech Regular
 
DerekEngland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 432
Default

Originally Posted by moshmike
I would LOVE a TCS race in Illinois! 2 races in a days drive! I don't make it to other regionals anymore now that I have a mortgage!!!
I miss going back to Cali and Memphis!
Then quit missing Memphis and come down... I think Boomer was talking about a trip this year.... Grap Nick while you are at it... Nevermind, he would like that way too much.
DerekEngland is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
  #7348  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Secret Underground Laboratory
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Not to throw stones or pile on, Larry, but A-Ko makes a good point about The Coliseum. Beautiful indoor facility that:
1) hosted a TCS event in 2006 at the last minute when another track went out of business (and did a darn good job of it, too)
2) has lots of Tamiya guys there and a whole wall full of parts and tires
3) put on their OWN TCS-like event, right down to Tamiya rules, free kits to the winners, out of town drivers, the whole thing, in 2007 -without ANY support from Tamiya
4) requested a 2008 event and...never got a call back or response to their e-mail.

Hey, I work at a busy company too, and we're also short of help- and getting smaller every day. But believe me, there are at least a half dozen tracks that support Tamiya products and could have hosted a TCS event in 2008 and done a very competent job at it.
rccardr is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
  #7349  
Tech Adept
 
larrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 199
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko

From what I read earlier it seems like the hoops are too small for tracks to jump through in regards to hosting a TCS race. Example is the Coleseum who took over when Hanover, PA went away at the last minute. Since they could not get a race last year, they hosted their own Tamiya race.

To be honest my disappointment runs in the late scheduling and late rules. The latest rules has been amended many times. Not saying that is bad not to be "perfect" but saying that the rules could have come out in September or better yet just after the Nats along with a schedule. The changes for 2008 were already decided by the 07 Nats, not everybody had the priveledge of knowing them.. Friends that annually plan for TCS Trackside cannot go because they made other plans for something that needs to plan well in advance not less than 2 months. Also with big companies vacation time, is not always available last minute. My friends assumption was on a annual past March date, not a February one.

I noticed your competitor HPI has released their rules/schedule in November and also has a list of tracks that have no dates but will have shortly. Having as much advanced notice as possible only helps people to plan for what they are doing, vacation time, parts buying, testing and loading the hickman hauler. I know if I had gotten the rules earlier, like by Oct, my Christmas list would have been totally different.
I'm not offering excuses to the way things are and I definitely can't speak on behalf of the company. I'm merely explaining things from my perspective and there needs to be an understanding that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes beyond me. Now I'm glad to be at the forefront for criticism, however not everything is as black and white as it may seem. And if the changes for '08 were already decided by the '07 nationals, then that sure is a heck of a surprise to me.

Your disappointment and your perspective on the small hoops for TCS sites are duly noted. When it comes down to it, there really is no point for me to explain any further. To tell you everything else that is happening besides TCS seems to be providing excuses. So all I can say is that we'll try harder to meet expectations next year. In my personal opinion, offering next year's schedule right after the TCS nationals seems a rather unreasonable request.
larrio is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
  #7350  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (107)
 
lbckevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,736
Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)
Default

Larrio,


Have you guys started to ship yet....? I placed an order on the 14th and have not received it yet....
lbckevin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.