Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I understand Tamiya's position. On the other hand from the store owners view they carry things that sell. If Tamiya would try to host a race in an area where there is not as much demand for Tamiya products, it might demonstrate the quality of their products and create sales. I like Tamiya products, but i don't believe putting tight requirements on the race hosts will create new Tamiya fans.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I understand Tamiya's position. On the other hand from the store owners view they carry things that sell. If Tamiya would try to host a race in an area where there is not as much demand for Tamiya products, it might demonstrate the quality of their products and create sales. I like Tamiya products, but i don't believe putting tight requirements on the race hosts will create new Tamiya fans.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MD
It's the local racers responsibility to tell the LHS what to stock. Locally, with the growing interest in Mini's the LHS's (here) are starting to take notice and actually stock a couple sets of tires for Mini's now. It isn't much but it's a start. A year ago...they stocked ZERO parts for ANYTHING Tamiya. As a racer or hobbyist, if you want it...request it from the LHS. Given enough demand the shop will start stocking it. If the LHS doesn't even know there's a demand for that then why would they stock it? Markets are driven by the consumer and in these days when every single tid-bit of information on everything is at your fingertips then the consumer has to drive the markets even more by demanding the products they want rather than settling for what's available.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dan,

It may be a little bit harder, but if the LHS buys from Horizon or other domestics, I'm certain TAMIYA knows or can find out. A simple photo of SIRS parts wall would get their attention. Even if the parts came from Horizon, a few calls from TAMIYA would verify the parts came from TAMIYA USA.

I agree, If someone thinks they are being overlooked, have your LHS PM Difuser. If your track is serious about supporting TAMIYA, Dan can help get you on the TCS track.

BTW, many thanks again to the hospitality provide by SIR during my recent bussiness trip to the Seattle area. TOP NOTCH facility and folks all around. Everyone (staff and patrons) at SIR was A'OK in my book. SIR exemplifies what what the R/C hobby is all about by providing a welcoming atmosphere and a class for ALL skill levels, as well as rock climbing. (Thanks again Doug and Dan) I think a crawler is in my future, as soon a s the snow leaves.

MPH
Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moshmike
Actually, Dave and I and others were running Tamiya and Trackside was selling Tamiya BEFORE we had the TCS race. The first TCS race held in WI was in Racine at a shop that is no longer there and it was outdoors on asphalt. Scotty and his customers have always been big supporters of Tamiya and their products. There's a reason Mr. Tamiya himself came to our shop!
Mike
OK. Thanks for correcting my wrong assumption Mike. I'll just stick to my own experience and not speculate about others.

I own so much Tamiya stuff because the Trackside TCS race got me started with Tamiya. I was a spectator at the 2005 race, my son and I each ran one class in 2006, and we each ran two classes in 2007.

I believe more regional races would result in more Tamiya sales. The "if you build it, they will come" theory.

Anyway, can't wait for the Trackside TCS race. My son and I will be tearing up two perfectly good Tamiya cars with brand new bodies running rally, plus a couple minis, and a GT3 car.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow...opened a can of worms! Sorry...

I have raced TCS in Memphis and Atlanta and had a blast every time. That is really the only reason for my post. Obviously we had a race in Atlanta...I would hope we have A shop/track that could support the race in the REGION.

I guess my post is more out of envy wishing we had a race in the area.

I was hoping a 10+ hr trip to Memphis wouldn't be my only TCS action this year.

Paul
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Now that 3200 Orion LiPos are legal in the Mini class what do you guys think.

Will a Mini with an Orion 3200 LiPo be the hot set up OR would you be better off with some high voltage NiMH

The weight minimum is 1300 grams; the lightest I have ever been able to get my Mini with 4200 NiMH is 1350 grams. With the LiPo you will probably need to add weight to make the 1300 gram minimum. What is the weight advantage worth

What about the Orion 3600 LiPo; is it available, will TCS approve it, will it fit in a Mini.

Give me your thoughts.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry double post

Last edited by Steven Key; 01-22-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Doc, how much of that super secret pink fuel tubing will you be able to add to make weight with a LiPo?

Last edited by Steven Key; 01-22-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steven Key
Now that 3200 Orion LiPos are legal in the Mini class what do you guys think.

Will a Mini with an Orion 3200 LiPo be the hot set up OR would you be better off with some high voltage NiMH

The weight minimum is 1300 grams; the lightest I have ever been able to get my Mini with 4200 NiMH is 1350 grams. With the LiPo you will probably need to add weight to make the 1300 gram minimum. What is the weight advantage worth

What about the Orion 3600 LiPo; is it available, will TCS approve it, will it fit in a Mini.

Please give me your thoughts.
The Orion 3600 WILL NOT fit in a Mini. I tried it for myself on Sunday and it simply won't fit. Tony has already discussed that in previous posts though. As far as the weight advantage....there really isn't one. Mini's seem to work better with a little extra weight so NiMh will probably still be the winning ticket but...who cares. LiPo is so much easier to deal with. I race for fun and I'd rather not deal with all the charging, discharging, conditioning and all that junk that goes along with NiMh. I don't water-dip, crank the comm or any of that other stuff that goes along with the silver-can motors either so I'll never be competitive but don't care. I love it anyway.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Steven Key;4104634]Now that 3200 Orion LiPos are legal in the Mini class what do you guys think.

QUOTE]

that is the $60,000 question!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've had probably 150+ cycles with the 3200 Orion in my mini and my bet is that on small carpet/asphalt tracks, the NIMH will be king. And on medium to large aspahlt the Lipo will have an edge. Outside where the mini can stretch it's legs it really seems like the car has more top speed. That I'm sure has a lot to do with the weight. I run 2oz. of lead on my car and it handles as well as it does with a heavy NIMH...so there!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

The Orion 3600 WILL NOT fit in a Mini.
So there is no reason TCS would allow that battery, question answered.

on small carpet/asphalt tracks, the NIMH will be king. And on medium to large aspahlt the Lipo will have an edge.
Has anyone ran them LiPo and NiMh side by side in the same race?

Good info keep it coming.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Yes, I've run them back to back. The NIMH wasn't a brand new fresh IB4200, but a decent pack. The lap times were pretty much identical with maybe a .1 advantage to the Lipo after about half way. The lower internal resistence and lightweight seems to allow the motor to have less strain and thus thecar feels very strong at the end of the race. The car felt more planted with the NIMH, but not as nimble...so it's a toss up. I will have both at Memphis. But I'd bet my nod will go to Lipo.

Oh and my car with 2 oz. in lead with the Orion 3200 weighs 1235 grams! The same car with a 4200 would be 1400-1410 grams...that's a big difference. Being able to put the weight where you want it will be nice!!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

just to clarify:

The weight difference between GT2 and GT3 will not be changed (for now). Since GT3 cars run a less powerful motor, they will not be "penalized" as much to meet a higher weight minimum (in comparison to GT2 cars).

GT2: minimum of 1550 grams
GT3: minimum of 1500 grams

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.