Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
Larrio

Need to get some clarification on batteries. How about other brands of nimh battery not specified on the Tamiya website. How about E-power, Ener-g and etc? Are they allowed? Some brand are hard to find and very expensive. Thanks.
This is what he said about it a couple posts up.

Originally Posted by larrio
It's quite impossible to list every battery variation.

General rule of thumb listed in the TCS rules is a "hobby grade" battery pack. IB, EP, GP, etc. Otherwise, we just set the max capacity rating (IIRC, 4600maH).

As for that Mazda Furai above, we can't really hook up a car that is a one-off.
Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

can someone please recomend what size spur and pinon i should use on the ta05 runing the silver can?, and does the silver can need to be tamiya motor(johnson) or any mabuchi type manf silver can
Get yourself a 45 tooth pinion and a 96, 100, 102 and 104 spur. That will cover all gearing options for pretty much every track in the US. If a large open track like Tamiya USA, probably the 96 or the 100; if a tighter smaller layout like Trackside or SIR, probably the 102 or the 104.

Check the rules on the Tamiya USA site- only four silver can motors are legal and there are pictures at the bottom of the page. All are Johnson or Mabuchi, none have composite endbells. Techs are checking for Viper/etc. motors that fall outside of the rules...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

I did note in a previous post that the latest rules are only updated on the PDF. For some reason it hasn't synced up with the website yet.

I'll check into the weight difference between GT2 and GT3.

I'll see if I can bold the additions for those that have trouble reading.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

will there be any dates added to those listed, of is that final? not b'g greedy bout gettin 2 events in md, but kinda hard to get jacked up bout 1 when so many on here would support so many more.

R
Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

There are only two races left to be announced.

(1) TCS Nationals - Location and date unknown
(2) East Coast TCS Regional - waiting on the owner for the date, location will be around the CT, NJ area.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tamiya -

Why no Southeast races? Florida = Major RC racing...the region in general (Atlanta 2yrs ago)...what's up?

Paul
Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Tamiya -

Why no Southeast races? Florida = Major RC racing...the region in general (Atlanta 2yrs ago)...what's up?

Paul
I would presume there are multiple factors to the issue. Although if you get down to details, the TCS venue isn't just handed to any store that wants to hold a race. There are certain guidelines in place and we deal with them on a case by case basis. Ideally a TCS race is held at a shop that heavily supports, promotes, and sells Tamiya products ... outside and during the TCS season. The shop must also have an existing racing program or facility in place with regular attendance. So if you know of any shops with those in place, just let me know.

I'm sure R/C racing in Florida is a big thing, however that in itself doesn't really pertain to the TCS series if they are just filled with competitor's products. Now I'm just listing facts here so please don't shoot the messenger.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Hey great to see Bruce Hickman running at Tamiya yesterday.....It was a blast running with you with the new brushless...tons of fun.
Yeah, Kevin - thanks. Back 'atcha! Beautiful day racin in Socal..... It don't get no better than that!

bruce

Last edited by Doc; 01-22-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
There are certain guidelines in place and we deal with them on a case by case basis. Ideally a TCS race is held at a shop that heavily supports, promotes, and sells Tamiya products ...
I'll shoot first.

I know this has been brought up in the past, but I can't resist, sorry.

The MAIN reason I (and my son) race Tamiya vehicles is because a track close by (Trackside) has a TCS race. It's a chicken and egg thing. Or a "if you build it, they will come" thing.

So, it seems illogical to me that in order for a track to get a TCS race, they need to show past sales of Tamiya product.

I would guess (but I really have no idea) that Trackside would sell at least 75% less Tamiya stuff if they didn't have a TCS race.

Do you think David Weir and Nathan Weir and all the other great racers at Trackside would be running Tamiya if there wasn't a TCS race there??? I'd say no.

My 2 cents from a hack of a racer who (becasue of the close by TCS race) just happens to own (with my son):

1 TL01
2 TB02s
2 Evo IIIs
3 M03s
1 M04
1 Dark Impact
plus, all the spare parts that go along with those,
plus 5 bodies I recently bought for this year's TCS race (3 for Trackside's Tamiya rally).
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hawk6
I'll shoot first.

I know this has been brought up in the past, but I can't resist, sorry.

The MAIN reason I (and my son) race Tamiya vehicles is because a track close by (Trackside) has a TCS race. It's a chicken and egg thing. Or a "if you build it, they will come" thing.

So, it seems illogical to me that in order for a track to get a TCS race, they need to show past sales of Tamiya product.

I would guess (but I really have no idea) that Trackside would sell at least 75% less Tamiya stuff if they didn't have a TCS race.

Do you think David Weir and Nathan Weir and all the other great racers at Trackside would be running Tamiya if there wasn't a TCS race there??? I'd say no.

My 2 cents from a hack of a racer who (becasue of the close by TCS race) just happens to own (with my son):

1 TL01
2 TB02s
2 Evo IIIs
3 M03s
1 M04
1 Dark Impact
plus 5 bodies I recently bought for this year's TCS race (3 for Trackside's Tamiya rally).
I understand all that but I do understand Tamiya's standpoint too. The club needs to be able to offer parts support for the racers on race-day and if they have never sold much in the way of Tamiya stuff then they may not know what to stock. Around here....Tamiya seems to be a bad word. I would love to see one in my area but right now I wouldn't expect it to happen...though our Mini class racing is growing by leaps and bounds which is always exciting.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6

1 TL01
2 TB02s
2 Evo IIIs
3 M03s
1 M04
1 Dark Impact

Actually, Dave and I and others were running Tamiya and Trackside was selling Tamiya BEFORE we had the TCS race. The first TCS race held in WI was in Racine at a shop that is no longer there and it was outdoors on asphalt. Scotty and his customers have always been big supporters of Tamiya and their products. There's a reason Mr. Tamiya himself came to our shop!
Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While I race for Tamiya and TRF I do not speak for them.

Muha is hitting it right on the head. If a shop has Tamiya inventory then somone is racing the product or at least buying it. If they are using Tamiya then it would make sense to have a race to support those customers.

Now on the otherhand you have 50 people racing Tamiya's but they do not buy locally they buy online from Domestic or foreign. How in any way shape or form does Tamiya know these 50 people are racing their product? The offshore hobbyshop knows. The hobbyshop in Buttscratch with a mail order program knows these people are running the car but Tamiya has no clue that these cars are in that region.

Either way it does fall on the hobby shop to make some noise and get the attention of Tamiya that they want to hold a race. When we opened SIR we inherited the Seattle stop but did not get a guarantee that we would be able to host the Regional until we met a few milestones. If I was in a part of the country that did not have a tCS race but I had customers of mine that were running the product I can guarantee I would be on the phone asking, bugging etc to get the business that a TCS event would draw to my store.

If you the racer wants an event and your shop does have Tamiya inventory bug your shop owner to host a race along with take the time to call Tamiya America and introduce themselves. If they buy from Horizon or GP then again they are invisible to Tamiya. If they buy from Aliso then Tamiya does at least know something about them. You the racer should also call and introduce yourself and also tell them about your local and how it would help sales and exposure to get a stop at XXX shop.

Long before my involvement with SIR I had a big hand in the Burien Toyota program doing what I could to help promote the Club and Venue but also to improve their already good relations with Tamiya.

If someone has a shop owner that wants to host a race feel free to have them PM me. I would be glad to give them some help in who to contact along with some of what Tamiya is expecting. Also what it can mean to a track in Revenue with a little bit of planning and organizing. I in no way promise they will get a stop but glad to share the experience we have learned in hosting 5 years of TCS events.

For those who are making the trip out here for the Regional you only have 2 months to go. Get those flights reserved and look forward to another great Regional. For those who have not heard we have put in carpet and we will have a fresh layout the Week leading up to TCS. Would love to have it blind like years past but the carpet needs some groove in it.

Dan
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I understand Tamiya's position. On the other hand from the store owners view they carry things that sell. If Tamiya would try to host a race in an area where there is not as much demand for Tamiya products, it might demonstrate the quality of their products and create sales. I like Tamiya products, but i don't believe putting tight requirements on the race hosts will create new Tamiya fans.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I understand Tamiya's position. On the other hand from the store owners view they carry things that sell. If Tamiya would try to host a race in an area where there is not as much demand for Tamiya products, it might demonstrate the quality of their products and create sales. I like Tamiya products, but i don't believe putting tight requirements on the race hosts will create new Tamiya fans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.