Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by f1larry
Larry,

During that test you were either not geared right or were not using the sintered rotor in the 13.5. Around here the 13.5 motor with a sintered rotor is considerably faster than a 27t stock motor. It is definetely a big advantage to run a 13.5 over a 27t for both torque and top speed.
The gearing is a secret But rest assured I wasn't under geared (since it was Jun's car that I was driving). And I was using a sintered rotor.

Although I should add that I was the only guy in my class that cared about the weight limit (since no one had to go through tech). I wanted to run without the 1lb of lead weight, but I figured the it would be a bad rep since I was wearing my Tamiya jacket.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just my .02$... but we had the all brushlees Novak race in Milwaukee this month and the Mini class allowed the use of the 17.5 motor. According to the runners it is on par with a well tuned silver can. So this would not be = to the 13.5 in any way...unless you don't know how to gear for the track. My opinion on running the 13.5 over 27 turn is that it is a LITTLE better than a well tuned stck motor...if you know how to tune a stock motor well.
It just seems to me brushed motors are going the way of the Dodo and also takes the advantage away from the few guys who know how to tune their motors and don't share with others their secrets. YES it may be an advantage but I have been taken out at the end of a 180 by the guy with a super fast motor and no driving skills. i think BL gives you more time to focus on setup and driving. whatever.

Hey Larry! Can't wait to see you in Milwaukee! Not enough Asians around here!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a quick question, is the Novak 4300 motor allowed in GT1. It is the same specs as the 10.5.

Thanks
Larry
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by moshmike

Hey Larry! Can't wait to see you in Milwaukee! Not enough Asians around here!
That keeps you fresh and rare, haha. I'm not 100% sure if I'll be going to Wisconsin yet. Hopefully it will be finalized by the end of the week.

F1Larry: the answer is pending confirmation from Novak regarding the 4300 brushless.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
I have a quick question, is the Novak 4300 motor allowed in GT1. It is the same specs as the 10.5.

Thanks
Larry
It should be, since it IS the 10.5(Novak just renamed it round about the time the 13.5 came out).....
Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Exactly...it's the same thing.
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
It should be, since it IS the 10.5(Novak just renamed it round about the time the 13.5 came out).....
Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Novak says the SS4300 is equivalent to a 10.5 motor.

So the the SS4300 Novak brushless motor will be eligible for the TCS GT1 class. We will add it to our next rules revision.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
Novak says the SS4300 is equivalent to a 10.5 motor.

So the the SS4300 Novak brushless motor will be eligible for the TCS GT1 class. We will add it to our next rules revision.

Thanks Larry, see you in a few weeks. Bring your Parka
Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
It's never too late to add to rules clarification/definitions.

However we've had this problem before with 19-turn class guys wanting to use 24-degree stock motors. Apparently we allowed it once as a test and it didn't work out as planned (this is what I'm told since it was before my time).

So unfortunately the rule stands that you have to run the motor specification for your class, no more and no less. This will be the first year brushless and lipo will be allowed in TCS due to popular demand. We'll be noting any discrepancies and unfair advantages throughout the season.
Thanks for the clear up....rules need to be draw and enforeced, no more, no less, and thats the idea.........no non 10.5 or 19T on GT1 - period.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default TCS

Wow...reading this you'd think we (the in it for fun TCS racer) has become the ROAR "doin it for a cheap bowling trophy" group!

I do TCS because its fun, I have met some great folks, and I'm semi competetive...Fred and the gang do a good job with this stuff and Ive never been disapointed (minus the what happened to Georgia-Southeast region part)

I will run whatever the RULE says point blank. If it says 13.5...then that's what Ill run...silver can...same...seems too much "What iffing" going on...this is what sux about ROAR racing....Off my soapbox

Hoping for another East Coast race...seems slim pickings for events this year...possibly Memphis...Just back from the desert! Again!!

Out

Paul
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Larrio

Have you or Fred decided how many qualifiers and mains you will run for the Aliso round? I gotta plan how many set of tires to get!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
Larrio

Have you or Fred decided how many qualifiers and mains you will run for the Aliso round? I gotta plan how many set of tires to get!!!
for you, two sets and be happy about it
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
Larrio

2-day event like last year so expect four qualifiers and triple A mains and single B mains and lower. Start stocking up now before Nemo and I buy them all !
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

one set for the entire weekend!!,now that would be a fun time,tryin to figure out how to make ur tires last,wheres the fun in buyin a thousand $ worth of tires!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LAPDOG
one set for the entire weekend!!,now that would be a fun time,tryin to figure out how to make ur tires last,wheres the fun in buyin a thousand $ worth of tires!
You would think they would, like they did that one year with B2's at the nats. 2-3 sets would be good for 2 days at Aliso. Then again it's Tamiya's nature to make money and people with disposable 1-run-tire budgets have the advantage. Tamiya does talk about saving the racer money, unfortunately this is not one of those areas. It has been a topic that has popped up a few times each year, it will not change for the GT classes. So buy your tires early and often!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.