Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I think that Tamiya people running the races should know the people who ran novice in the past, especially if they put their picture on the web site as the class winner. I don't really care if they allow lipos or brushless or whatever. Brushless is obviously the wave of the future. But, the esc's are expensive. I guess there are a lot of people who don't want to change anything about trhe series to attract more participants. I think Tamiya America could do more to get more people involved in a decling rc market. Tamiya makes some great products, especially for the price.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by f1larry
The rules are posted the rules are posted............................
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...es%20wLogo.pdf

Fred, I have a question abpout the spec class. We talked about it last year and you said you would change the rule. If both the TT01 and the TL01 run the 19 tooth pinion the TL01 will have an advantage over the TT01. The TL01 with the 19 tooth pinion has a FDR of 7.93 where as the TT01 with the 19 tooth pinion has an 8.63 FDR. Can you amend the rule to allow the TT01 to run a 20 tooth pinion which then brings the TT01 FDR 7.96 which is more fair. Last year the TL01 were just blowing by the TT01.

Thanks,
Larry
According to the guys in tech, this is somewhat of a misnomer.

There is a mathematical gearing advantage between the TL01 and TT01, however in real world speed they are relatively the same. The TT-01 chassis is almost considered a direct drive in comparison to the TL01 which utilizes many gear reductions that results in a power loss. On large tracks such as Tamiya America, you can see there is no apparent speed advantage when both cars are winded out on the straight. On technical tracks, the car that carries the most corner speed will prevail. Smooth lines, less tire scrubbing, and smaller driver inputs can make a TL-01 appear to be much faster than a TT-01.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i think if you wanna point out a bigger issue, then stuff all the bl/lipo arguments and look at mini class. supposed to be cool toyish cars turned into super upgraded, high $ micro light electronic'd, mystery diff, tire eating, battery eatin (@10A charge), who has the best can, monsters!!! all that from a car that was supposed to be a sub 100$ kit for those who perhaps liked mr bean.

R
Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i wonder if i go back to last year's posts... if i'll see the same topics being discussed/b!tched/whined/cried about.....
Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by larrio
According to the guys in tech, this is somewhat of a misnomer.

There is a mathematical gearing advantage between the TL01 and TT01, however in real world speed they are relatively the same. The TT-01 chassis is almost considered a direct drive in comparison to the TL01 which utilizes many gear reductions that results in a power loss. On large tracks such as Tamiya America, you can see there is no apparent speed advantage when both cars are winded out on the straight. On technical tracks, the car that carries the most corner speed will prevail. Smooth lines, less tire scrubbing, and smaller driver inputs can make a TL-01 appear to be much faster than a TT-01.
Larry,

I have to disagree with this. I bought that argument last year. When watching the cars last year the TL01 had a decisive speed advantage over the TT01. When my son was ahead going onto the straighe only to be blown by in the straight by one of the TL01 cars seems to me like a speed advantage. If this is the case that there will not be a rule change to allow the TT01 to run the 20 tooth pinion, then I will have to pull out an old TL01 for him to race this year. It is a shame that I wasted my money on the TT01 only to have the older platform outrun it.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Larry
Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Larry,

I have to disagree with this. I bought that argument last year. When watching the cars last year the TL01 had a decisive speed advantage over the TT01. When my son was ahead going onto the straighe only to be blown by in the straight by one of the TL01 cars seems to me like a speed advantage. If this is the case that there will not be a rule change to allow the TT01 to run the 20 tooth pinion, then I will have to pull out an old TL01 for him to race this year. It is a shame that I wasted my money on the TT01 only to have the older platform outrun it.

Larry
What Larrio said is correct. With all of the gear reduction in the TL01, and the direct drive style in the TT01, even with the different gear ratios, we have found the speed to be a perfect match. If the TT01 were to run a 20t it would kill the TL01 in speed. We have tried this before, and have decided to go back to the current rules.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Larry,

Larry
That specific TL01 at Trackside was re-tech'ed after his apparent speed advantage. We pulled it apart and found that it was running the speed tuned gear set. (The driver claimed that he bought the car used). If I recall correctly, we threw out that lap. He won the next heat using normal TL01 gears that someone had new-in-package. He lost the 3rd heat. I'm not sure if this is enough to justify my previous claim, but I am sorry that I can't change this one particular rule.

If anyone really has serious problems with TCS, you can take it up with me directly at anytime. You only have to call 800-5-TAMIYA and ask for Larry. I'll help you out within reason. So all those people that claim that we never answer emails or calls, you can have someone to blame now.

Oh, as for the F201 and arms. I've raced that for 2 years with a 6.5 brushless and bought less than 5 sets of arms. I just pulled up the sales history of the suspension arms and if a single person really purchased 100 sets, then I must thank him/her because that is a significant % of total sales from 2002-2007.

Last edited by larrio; 12-10-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
i wonder if i go back to last year's posts... if i'll see the same topics being discussed/b!tched/whined/cried about.....
Absolutely !

If anyone really has serious problems with TCS, you can take it up with me directly at anytime. You only have to call 800-5-TAMIYA and ask for Larry. I'll help you out within reason. So all those people that claim that we never answer emails or calls, you can have someone to blame now.
I blame you for giving people someone to complain to at Tamiya so now they can't complain that there is no one to complain to.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That specific TL01 at Trackside was re-tech'ed after his apparent speed advantage. We pulled it apart and found that it was running the speed tuned gear set. (The driver claimed that he bought the car used). If I recall correctly, we threw out that lap. He won the next heat using normal TL01 gears that someone had new-in-package. He lost the 3rd heat. I'm not sure if this is enough to justify my previous claim, but I am sorry that I can't change this one particular rule.

Oh, as for the F201 and arms. I've raced that for 2 years with a 6.5 brushless and bought less than 5 sets of arms. I just pulled up the sales history of the suspension arms and if a single person really purchased 100 sets, then I must thank him/her because that a significant % of total sales from 2002-2007.

Larry,

I will have to take you at your word. Matthew will run his TT01 this year for his last year in the spec division, the TL01 will be converted to Rally for him to run in that class.

Thanks again for getting back to me and explaining everything. It still does not make sense to me when comparing FDR and then talking about all the gear reductions. I always thought that FDR was FDR.

Anyway those are the rules and we will stick to them.

We do this for the fun anyway.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

From my viewpoint: the FDR is just a mathematical calculation of the potential speed given same motor, battery, esc and two different cars in a comparison battle. The giant TL-01 gears have more surface area contact spread over a larger range of gears in both the front and rear gearbox. So in theory the same motor would have more drivetrain loss in the TL-01 versus the TT-01 (motor to spur to gearbox).

I'll be rooting for Matthew once again, maybe i'll let him slip a few tricks past tech, haha.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

False Alarm

Last edited by AWK; 12-10-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Congrats to Tamiya and its TCS F103GT class... For being dumb once again...
You bring stupidy to a new level....
Why have this class and not have parts for it?

I broke the battery "holder" and the part has been discontinued.
RC Rear Suspension Ball Mount Item #53273 (DISCONTINUED)

Rule 7 states no lighten the chassis..

And yet they talk about "more" bodies to be released for the F103GT.....

How about PARTS for this car?!?!?!?!?!?

I got rid of all my mini cooper stuff and since Tamiya won't/doesn't support the F103GT it will be gone shortly....

Anyone want an illegal F103gt car? Cheap?
You are correct about item# 53273 being discontinued, but the original part for the F103-GT item# 50655 RC F103 Chassis D Parts (Battery Holder) is well in stock.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50655
Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
You are correct about item# 53273 being discontinued, but the original part for the F103-GT item# 50655 RC F103 Chassis D Parts (Battery Holder) is well in stock.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50655
THx Ron, I thought the rules said you couldn't use the old F103 parts for the
F103GT car.....
Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
THx Ron, I thought the rules said you couldn't use the old F103 parts for the
F103GT car.....
The 50655 D-parts may be an old part # but it is the replacement for the F103GT cars.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Reference: P.17 F103GT Manual
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58367ml.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.