Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
As you might have figured out I'm a BIG F1 fan and find it fustrating that TAMIYA won't support it's product. If they won't have parts for the F103GT then why not let us use other company parts. At least they have them available. I mean why bother having this F103GT if TAMIYA won't even support it?

BTW, I've tried emailing and a couple of phone calls and have yet to hear back from TAMIYA....
As I said, maybe the fact that its a class again points to some new product we haven't seen yet. I dont have insider info, but I don't think it would be a class if they were going to stop making the kit. I too like the F1 class, its the whole reason I got into the Tamiya thing. And while I like the whole Sports prototype thing, I really wish they would come out with a new F1 chassis, maybe a hybrid of the 103 and 201's
Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

It seems the Tamiya series is becoming more and more expensive to compete in. I would guess there will be more and mire mini drivers. Drivers on a budget could race novice class since they don't inforce the rules for that class.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Drivers on a budget could race novice class since they don't inforce the rules for that class.
What do you mean by that? You want to beat up on the little kids?

MPH
Old 12-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
It seems the Tamiya series is becoming more and more expensive to compete in. I would guess there will be more and mire mini drivers. Drivers on a budget could race novice class since they don't inforce the rules for that class.
You arent really going to start this debate are you
I guess you are
Look, the introduction of brushless and lipo in the long run will reduce the costs. The initial investment is high, but hopefully this is the technology for the next 5 years. If the claims regarding lipo's are true, then a one time investment will give you at least 3 seasons of racing without having to buy new cells. That is a potential savings of a few hundred dollars. Not to mention the savings of not having to buy and maintain multiple motors
So show me how its getting more expensive
Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Maybe I misunderstood the rules changes, but I do not believe brushless and Lipos are REQUIRED, only that they are now allowed. If you are on a "budget", keep racing your brushed motors and NiCD/NiMH batteries. Then slowly upgrade as your brushed motors and NiCD/NiMH batteries become junk.

Or was I not supposed to take you literally?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Maybe I misunderstood the rules changes, but I do not believe brushless and Lipos are REQUIRED, only that they are now allowed. If you are on a "budget", keep racing your brushed motors and NiCD/NiMH batteries. Then slowly upgrade as your brushed motors and NiCD/NiMH batteries become junk.

Or was I not supposed to take you literally?
You would be right Bill, but most of the fast crowd usually buy new stuff every year, so allocating those funds to a brushless/lipo setup instead of disposable stuff would ste you up for the next several years
Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I've personally been running brushless/Lipo in my sedan for a little over 2 years now. I consider myself competitive and did all that IB3800-4200s with trays and the GFXs etc, etc.. As I decided to go Lipo (before I went brushless) I was initially concerned of the $140 price tag on the Orion 4800, but when I broke down the price of 3 new NIMH packs every 3-4 months...and after running the Lipo for 1 day...I was absolutely converted. The difference on the the track is very very little. And in most cases 90% of people won't feel a difference. I now am running the same original 4800 in my car that I bought in 2005 and it's every bit as strong as it was on the first charge. So after 2 years and what would have been about 15-18 new packs over the same time...it's saved me roughly $1000 (about$50 a pack) on batteries alone.

Now brushless....all I can say....the same thing but in motor form. Endless power, no brushes, cutting comms, etc. And I've also run the same 13.5 for a year and it's never once thermalled and is a beast on the track. For those that are leary of the change...just try it. You'll never think the same!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

414 - What I mean is that I have been to several Tamuya races in the past two years. You see some of the same adult drivers who have a lot of experience and race other classes racing Novice. I am not going to race Novice, but they don't enforce the rules. That's too bad. I think it would be simple to enforce.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This will be a fun 2008 race at trackside for me. Brushless & Lipo

Question for those making the rules:

1. For batteries, can the Core R/C hardcase Lipo be considered for use as well?

2. Can the Speed Passion brushless motors be considered for use?

Thanks,
Jimmy Stegen
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314

Thanks,
Jimmy Stegen
Venom has a hard case lipo as well http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=VNR1555T will that be allowed?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
414 - What I mean is that I have been to several Tamuya races in the past two years. You see some of the same adult drivers who have a lot of experience and race other classes racing Novice. I am not going to race Novice, but they don't enforce the rules. That's too bad. I think it would be simple to enforce.
You keep saying you see "experienced drivers" racing Novice at TCS. You can keep bringing it up, why not call them out at the race or talk to the rce director ? I raced at SIR, Fremont and Tamiya America this year and the Novices were Novices. We are back to saying drivers who are willing to spend there time and there money to better their driving skill and set-ups skills should not be allowed to race or TCS needs an expert, Sportsman, Intermediate and novice class. If Someone wants to race part time on the cheap, expect to finish in the lower mains. It's that simple. Comments like these are to me as funny as people posting "please tell me what chassis set-up, tire / insert combo, body, etc. I should use to be fast". Heck, I know I am dieing to just give away the information I have spent my hard earn time, sweat and dollars to learn from testing and racing to someone who doesn't.

For those people how have difficulty with reality please stop dragging up the same BS over and over again. Some people are better than others. All people can not be winners (unless you want to play in youth sports so that everyone gets a trophy).

Over time, brushless / lipo is cheaper and easier and allows more time for car set-up and driving. People keep saying we need to get more new people into racing. Okay, when you are talking good race equipment to be competitive, a brushless system, two good lipos and a good charger are about $ 600.00 - 750.00 depending on brand and choice. Now, a good brushed ESC, two motors, motor lathe, 3 nimh batteries, a good charger, a good discharger is now in the $ 800+ range. That is just the initial investment. Then you add the cost for springs and brushes for the motors, and then that second set of motors and batteries, then the third. Yeah, which is cheaper ? Oh yeah, and you don't have to get brushed and lipo, it is just another alternative to allow more people more options.

For those that rip on Fred and / or Tamiya USA for their support or non-support, don't forget that Tamiya Japan still drives what is made, or not. It was Japan that killed the F201 because it was not big there. Tamiya USA suggests new body styles but Japan decides what they wan't to spend the money on to make the molds. Tamiya USA orders parts but if Japan is not stocking them, they will not get them. Heck, I wish Tamiya Japan would sponsor a car in the Australian V8 super car series so we could get an awesome looking Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon body set.

Now, lets enjoy that there is a TCS race series paid for and promoted Nationally by an R/C company and worry about what Christmas presents we still need to buy and less about all that is wrong with TCS. If you don't like the rules, the drivers or the company, you don't need to race a TCS race. Better to spend your time and money racing where you enjoy it with the products you are happy with because after all, these are toys. We are psying to race, not paid to race so if one can't enjoy this "hobby", they need to find a hobby they can enjoy.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Kevin, free races my ass..

You have to buy a Tamiya kit, Tamiya tires, Tamiya hop-ups/ etc....and if a part breaks then it has to be replaced replace with Tamiya parts of which you can not buy just the part but the whole tree. The F201 was great but ask anyone who raced it alot and the arms would break if you looked at it wrong. I have akmost 100 upper front and rear set as spares. Tamiya then came out with the re0enforced arms and the $$$$$ from the sale of arms went away. Once that happened it stopped having that class in the TCS.

I don't care what they drive in Japan, I don't race there.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

people who go to tcs should be considered 'experienced'. just look in the pits. how many 15min timer chargers do you see?

if ur usin the word 'experienced' in place of 'expert' (and not internet expert)...then its b/c they put in the work. i cant understand how people cry til they put themselves in a chance to win w/o puttin in the work for this thing we call competition. usually when they do finally cry their way into a chance at winning, its b/c only 3-4 people show up to race on a given day.

now experts runnin in spec class when its stated for novice drivers, thats another thing. but its a hard call to make. who's in and who's out. if a guy who's fast shows up and deemed too fast, you cant just shove him up to gt3 with a tt01?? (granted that'd be somewhat his/her fault too). so do they sandbag, well that stinx too.

the prize is also a factor. if its a ta05 or even a new mini, thats incentive for some1 who shouldnt be in novice to try it. so make the prize a tt01 right? well is that fair to a good winner? the principal was to get them started and if they suceed, help them move on (ever critical b/c tt01s cant compete wk 2 wk in touring car classes, or at tcs in any of the GT classes).

its a rough deal, but i say shut up and race and be grateful its there b/c all the crying will only yield somethin good goin away. then whats to cry bout?

R
Old 12-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314

Thanks,
Jimmy Stegen
Free bump for Jimmy's statement

Speed Passion pretty much makes the Orion stuff from what I understand so I would hope they would consider adding it's like of Brushless motors. And opening up the rules for Lipos like the Core, Venom and/or other hard cases would be nice as well.

Not baggin on TCS as I think it's an awesome series. Just wanting them to be open to more manufacturers of BL motors and Lipos.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Kevin, free races my ass..

You have to buy a Tamiya kit, Tamiya tires, Tamiya hop-ups/ etc....and if a part breaks then it has to be replaced replace with Tamiya parts of which you can not buy just the part but the whole tree. The F201 was great but ask anyone who raced it alot and the arms would break if you looked at it wrong. I have akmost 100 upper front and rear set as spares. Tamiya then came out with the re0enforced arms and the $$$$$ from the sale of arms went away. Once that happened it stopped having that class in the TCS.

I don't care what they drive in Japan, I don't race there.
Free entry buddy. Do you do anything other than comlplain about Tamiya ? If you race other cars, don't you buy parts for them ? Thanks for letting me know that Tamiya Japan dropped the F201 because of loss of suspension arm sales. Here I thought it was lack of interest in thier home market which is what drives Tamiya in Japan (you know, where the corporate HQ is). I ran the F201 for two years and broke a few of the original front arms but usually two spare sets was enough for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.