Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Is Everybody ready for the Black Can Motor Stories

I am sure everybody in GT2 and Mini has got that lump in there throat about what can I do to extract more HP out of these Little Black Beauties and not cause a mushroom cloud of smoke on the front Straightaway at Tamiya. I am sure everybody is concerned like last year that it will probably be very warm in Aliso at the end of Aug and this is going to be tough on the motors and I am sure somebody is going to be on a TQ or A main run and we will all smell that great aroma of expoxy baking inside the black can somewhere on the track? These things seem to be the fastest just before they go "Ca Blamo"
Mr. Hinkley smoked one last week @ Tamiya testing in a TA05.
Any thoughts out there or concerns in regards to these "Black Beauties"
I am curious what batteries "Fred Medellstone" is going to throw on us this year after all this will be the last race sadly at Tamiya. I have been racing there since the 1st day it opened I think in 1992 and I was there for the Opening Ceremony when Mr. Tamiya cut the Ribbon to open the track for racing. It's been great fun racing there over the years and I personally will miss it very much! SH.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Laurel TCS Head Count?

Bruce and I and Doc, I know will be there, by the way there will be a TCS Warm-Up race in Glen Burnie, MD on 7/14/07 the day before the Laurel TCS on 7/15/07. Here is some information on the race:

www.hobbytown.com
6714 Ritchie Hwy # D
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
(410) 590-4950

Get directions - More information

More local results

Warm Up RaceSaturday July 14 2007 Held @ HobbyTown. TCS Race still being held @ Hobby Works - Laurel MD ... Glen Burnie MD 21061. 410-590-4950 Fax 410-590-4950 ...
www.mdhobbytown.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Chesapeake Square Shopping Center 6714-d Gov. Ritchie Highway Glen Burnie, MD 21061
From the West:
I-695 East/South exit 3b, MD RT 2, Ritchie Highway South. Third traffic light ( Pizza Hut on corner) turn right. This will put you in our Shopping Center.

From The East:
I-695 West/North MD RT 10 South to first exit, Ordinance Road West. Third light (this will be Ritchie Highway), turn left. Proceed to next light ( Pizza Hut on corner) and turn right. This will put you in our Shopping Center.

From The North (north of Baltimore City):
I-95 / I-895 South, follow I-895 through the old Harbor Tunnel. Exit 6, sign will say I-97 / MD RT 2 Annapolis. Follow the MD RT 2 split. Proceed to the third traffic light ( Pizza Hut on corner) turn right. This will put you in our Shopping Center.

From The South (Washington D.C. area):
I-95 North Exit 49. I-695 East/South exit 3b, MD RT 2, Ritchie Highway South. Third traffic light ( Pizza Hut on corner) turn right. This will put you in our Shopping Center.

From The South (Annapolis, Eastern Shore area):
I-97 North to I-695 East. Stay in the ramp lane, this will put you onto MD RT 2 / Ritchie Highway south. Third traffic light ( Pizza Hut on corner) turn right. This will put you in our Shopping Center

Hope to see everybody there for some fun racing, these guys in Glen Burnie do a wonderful job putting on the race!!

Steve.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister
I am sure everybody in GT2 and Mini has got that lump in there throat about what can I do to extract more HP out of these Little Black Beauties and not cause a mushroom cloud of smoke on the front Straightaway at Tamiya. I am sure everybody is concerned like last year that it will probably be very warm in Aliso at the end of Aug and this is going to be tough on the motors and I am sure somebody is going to be on a TQ or A main run and we will all smell that great aroma of expoxy baking inside the black can somewhere on the track? These things seem to be the fastest just before they go "Ca Blamo"
Mr. Hinkley smoked one last week @ Tamiya testing in a TA05.
Any thoughts out there or concerns in regards to these "Black Beauties"
I am curious what batteries "Fred Medellstone" is going to throw on us this year after all this will be the last race sadly at Tamiya. I have been racing there since the 1st day it opened I think in 1992 and I was there for the Opening Ceremony when Mr. Tamiya cut the Ribbon to open the track for racing. It's been great fun racing there over the years and I personally will miss it very much! SH.
hey steve.. what is mark doing to smoke his motors? i havent smoked a motor yet. and im infamous when it comes to gearing a motor

didnt smoke any last year at nats either.

- chris
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I would say good chance but not confirmed. There were 13 entries at the T/A regional. However a good chunk of those drivers will run GT-1, GT-2 or Mini as F103GT is not a Japan trip winning class. It may come down like last year were F201 was a class, until only 3 people signed up and then it was dropped.
Thanks Kevin, I will be one of the many more than 3 that hopefully sign up.
Would hate to miss the last race at Tamiya if not enough sign up.
Fred
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

is there any Fun Race in July at the Tamiya HQ track?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Thanks Kevin, I will be one of the many more than 3 that hopefully sign up.
Would hate to miss the last race at Tamiya if not enough sign up.
Fred
I have my tickets, and am planning to run 103GT, but I am on the fence, because I would like to know if we will stay with Lipos , or will we have to buy batteries? also, how many runs are B3's good for on the F103? I would imagine 3 or 4, but I have been known to be wrong.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks like 100+ entries for the Laurel TCS this weekend.
Biggest class is...wait for it...MINI!!!
Only one Tamtech, though...

Oh yeah: THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS !!! THREE DAYS!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Brad,
Count on one great run, that's all.
MPH
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I have my tickets, and am planning to run 103GT, but I am on the fence, because I would like to know if we will stay with Lipos , or will we have to buy batteries? also, how many runs are B3's good for on the F103? I would imagine 3 or 4, but I have been known to be wrong.
Fred will not change the battery rule on F103GT. Only GT-2 and Mini will have a "spec" Tamiya battery. As for tire wear, maybe some of the regular F103GT runners can comment.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Fred will not change the battery rule on F103GT. Only GT-2 and Mini will have a "spec" Tamiya battery. As for tire wear, maybe some of the regular F103GT runners can comment.
YEH!!! regular batteries

We can use the same as regional batts, right?
Talked to Rod C at the nats practice today, he seems to think that F103GT will run as an exhibition class, not a Japan trip class, but that's OK, well worth the chance to run at Tamiya for the last time.
Fred F
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister
Bruce and I and Doc, I know will be there, by the way there will be a TCS Warm-Up race in Glen Burnie, MD on 7/14/07 the day before the Laurel TCS on 7/15/07.

Steve.
Hey Steve,
I plan to be there this weekend running MINI and GT2 or GT3. However, it doesn't look like I'll make it in time to run the warm-up on Saturday, but I might swing by and check things out.

Bill
Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Brad,
Count on one great run, that's all.
MPH
I'm trying to figure out how many sets for the whole week, although I may run RP30s for most of the week and get the car close, and just run the Tamiya rubber to get them scuffed.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

I'm trying to figure out how many sets for the whole week, although I may run RP30s for most of the week and get the car close, and just run the Tamiya rubber to get them scuffed.
F103GT
At SIR I used one set of B3's for the weekend, 2 day race. They held up pretty well. SIR is similar to Tamiya as far as wear goes, would think that 2 sets would last for qual and the race. RP 36's feel about the same as B3's, just last a lot longer.
Fred
Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I wouldn't scuff them. I made that mistake on one of my sets for regionals. New tires, unscuffed, work MUCH better.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I am throwing this out as a general question. It's been my experience that Tamiya tires do not wear as well as the HPI tires that I have used in the past. I found that some Tamiya wheels tend to get out of round or will break in the center. Has anyone else had this experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.