Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Scotty told me that they did the blind grab box for motors at the race in Toronto and it worked out well. So it looks like the motor rule would be: Entry fee will include the "rental" of a random motor for each round via the grab box. At the conclusion of the event, you'd get to keep the motor you end up with in your car. We'll have as many motors as racers plus a handful more in the box just in case one goes south during the event. Each of the motors in the box will be briefly tested before the event for amp draw - we will toss out any that are "outliers" - really good, really bad. The bunch that remain (the good ol' meat of the bell curve) will be the ones we end up using for the grab box. No water dipping allowed, no zappers. You may oil the bushings. You may use comm drops if you wish (there is no practical way to tech against it). You may clean it out before your run (you may not like the guys choice of using or type of comm drops). As far as dynos - it really wouldn't matter, as you can't do anything to improve the motor, or test for a better one, or gear it differently (we'll all be running max pinion anyway), wo might as well leave your dyno home. Basically take it, clean it, oil it, run it.

I'm going to cross post my idea in the minicooper section to see if we can drum up some more interest.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Can anyone give me some information about the Fremont race? Looking for a friendly Tamiya buddy to share table/chair/EZ-Up for food, parts, etc. Any takers?

I'll be flying in on Saturday morning, looking for details on when track setup occurs, practice times, traction level, and so forth. James Arluck, are you out there?
DOC,

you have a PM.

John Hicks

"edit"

Nevermind,you don't receive PM's........

Arluck,if you see this,explain the situation.

Last edited by racenut123; 05-03-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racenut123
DOC,

you have a PM.

John Hicks
John, Doc, does not do P.M.'s

Try an email: [email protected]

hope it works.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

DOC,

you have a PM.

John Hicks

"edit"

Nevermind,you don't receive PM's........

Arluck,if you see this,explain the situation.
waiting for your call still.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

I will call you early next week Chris.Sorry for the delay.It's been a nightmare at work.And you think I do this stuff for fun?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I will call you early next week Chris.Sorry for the delay.It's been a nightmare at work.And you think I do this stuff for fun?
i can END the nightmare...and make it a dream come true! (how's that for hearing what you want to hear!)

cool... nut remember, sooner you call though, the faster i can get started AND finish.

btw.. who's the race director for the Fremont TCS and do you know if they'll have access to your traction spray? some locals down here are curious.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

The secret sauce is just that.....a secret.

They will spray soda most likely.I could not tell you really what the 2 guys that are running it,plan is to be honest.They have not run a race ever.They plan on having 1 club race before to learn how to run it and then hope for the best.Track prep will not be similar to the past 2 years that were ran.They don't have the equipment{power washer and Monster sprayer etc that I own},nor the manpower for the prep.I offered to help and was declined.It's all good though.Some of you guys coming up?I for once will get to race without worrying about running the show.I hope for guys like you and for sure Docs sake that you aim low with your expectations and hope to be pleasantly suprised.We can all hope can't we?

talk with you soon!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

John- Chris and Troy are correct, I don't do the PM thing (there are already too many ways to contact me- drives me nutso) but any e-mail to [email protected] is returned within a few hours at most as it gets checked 3 times a day.

Sounds like the guys running the Fremont race this year will have their hands full, but hey, it's all fun. Besides, now that my daughter is out there I get to see her AND race- there is no better combination!

Again, thanks
Doc
Old 05-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Scotty told me that they did the blind grab box for motors at the race in Toronto and it worked out well.
I had the pleasure of racing this race in Canada.
The way John did it at Fastcats was the he had the motors tested and he got all of the motors that were within the "specs" according to the TCS rules in Canada. Everyone had to solder special connectors to your speed controler wires (see picture). Each motor had the connector soldered on as well. You got your motor the race before your heat and put the motor in at tech and waited in line for your heat at trackside. When you were done with your race, you put your car in tech and the motor is removed for you by tech. All motors got the bushings oiled after the race and went back into the box. No one was allowed to "work" on the motor. No comm drops were allowed either.

We were allowed to use the max 2400 stick packs. Most used the blue stick packs (Made by Orion?). The race was AWESOME and it all came down to the driver. Even though I missed the "A" by 1/100 of a second, it was still awesome!

Boomer

Last edited by Big Daddy Boomer; 09-14-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

The secret sauce is just that.....a secret.

Hey, even if it's not sprayed, there's plenty of grip on that surface!

( ya just hafta find it in your car, not on the track )

John, last year I was the guy begging you not to spray it after morning practice.

bruce
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

I here you Doc on not spraying! But you know,people love the carpet stile grip on asphalt.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

I see the silver can 1 in 100 issue being the only problem facing Mini today, which you have already addressed. The Memphis TCS was the first time I've driven a Mini in competition and I was REALLY surprised at how well they handle and how enjoyable they are to drive. We were only two laps off the GT3 pace.

The seriously disappointing aspect of this form of R/C was when I was killing people on the infield who couldn't even hold a line let alone go fast and then have those same people pull at least a quarter of the straight on me every lap. That got old quick. I would show up in cheesehead land with my Mini for a handout motor, Mini only race like you described for sure. You may even want to consider doing the motor grab bag by qualifying order each round so the slowest guy has a random chance at the whole field of motors, and the quickest guy gets the last one in the bag...

-Sean
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You may even want to consider doing the motor grab bag by qualifying order each round so the slowest guy has a random chance at the whole field of motors, and the quickest guy gets the last one in the bag...
Sean, I like that idea a lot.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

No offense guys, but I think it's a good thing your math teachers don't read this forum.

If it's just a random grab bag, it doesn't matter if you pick first, middle, or last, it's still random.

That would be like playing Texas Hold-em and saying "I always want to sit to the dealer's immediate left so I've got a better chance of getting an ace dealt to me" (because it's a full deck of cards, rather than a less than full deck).

Sorry for being so anal.

Fire away.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hawk6
No offense guys, but I think it's a good thing your math teachers don't read this forum.

If it's just a random grab bag, it doesn't matter if you pick first, middle, or last, it's still random.

That would be like playing Texas Hold-em and saying "I always want to sit to the dealer's immediate left so I've got a better chance of getting an ace dealt to me" (because it's a full deck of cards, rather than a less than full deck).

Sorry for being so anal.

Fire away.
Being anal isn't something to apologize for, but the math teacher thing, while definitely being funny, is also a little uncalled for.

All of this of course is very much overkill and assumes the silver cans aren't already as even as possible...

I am not questioning the randomness of the draw, I am trying to play with probability just a little bit. If for example there is one good motor out of 60, the last 10 guys (being the fastest in my example) certainly would have been exposed to 50 chances of not having access to that motor. Conversely, those same 50 guys that just drew would also have a chance at the worst of the 60 as well. It's another way of looking at possibly making qualifying more interesting. Plus it's sort of a mental picture of the pole sitter getting the dregs of the barrel, the last leftover motor that nobody wants. Weren't you ever the last guy picked in school for the pickup baseball games? Yeah...

Don't worry about my math teachers, they're probably dead by now, and thankful they don't have to still deal with me. Probability is statistical...

Are you trying to say the last draw still has a 1 in 60 chance of getting the "ace" motor? This isn't craps, you don't get a reset of your chances with every die roll...

The dealer's left has a 4 in 52 of drawing an ace, the next guy has two possibilities after the first card is dealt, 3 in 51 or 4 in 51. The statistic definitely changes, but it is still random. Your flame is amusing, but flawed...

-Sean

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.