Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Count me and my son in for the all mini race at Trackside. My son Derek had a blast at Trackside's TCS race this year (so did I) thanks in large part to mini help we got from you and Kevin B.

Derek got the Top Rookie award, finished mid pack in the mini B Main, had a blast, and whispered to me "I want to be like Nathan". That's a tall order to fill, but he and I are definitely enjoying racing minis, and an all mini race in the fall at Trackside would be perfect.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dave,

Excellent idea, you know you can count on me and Matt at this event.

I like the idea of a hand-out/grab bag motor and a cheap spec battery. I could even see the 3200 Lipos especially if Tamyia allows them in the class for 2008.

What about allowing the options of M04m chassis? There was 12 of them out of the 61 in Memphis, Matt and I had cars that could have made the "A" if we would have had clean qualifiers. Our lap times were comparable to the "A" main guys. Tamiya lets them race together.

What do you guys think of paying a little more and having a T-shirt for this event? Something kind of loud and maybe a little funny playing off the Mini theme.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

You can count me in too.

I like the hand-out/grab bag idea. Inexpensive motor/batteries = more entries and closer racing. Lipo's might be a little difficult for those who only own Ni-cad/Ni-mah chargers and are new to racing Mini's.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Who said charging at 12 amps??

Count me in too...especially with the grab bag motor...not sure of grabbing the battery though. i would be in for a spec battery that's marked, but so many people run different connectors so...plus if the person before you charged the thing at 20 amps and screwed up a cell or two??

I'd be on board with 3200 Lipos too. You can get really good chargers for $50 and you only need one pack...but I won't push the subject. I'd be on board either way!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Location: Bending Corners R/C Raceway(s) 2190 North Canal Street Orange, CA 92865

Dave - Excellent Idea.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Folks:

I like the response so far - please spread the word and have them post back here so we can judge the degree of interest. Holding a weekend long event like this means shutting down regularly scheduled off-road racing revenues for the weekend, so I want to make sure we have enough interest to do this.

Steve - M04m's sound OK too - any M03 variety plus m04m - all must run 60D series tires all around.

Doc - I think we need to allow any 60D Tamiya tire & insert. The tuning choices for mini on the chassis are already very limited, so tire/insert selection is a major way to tune. I think going kit vinyl tires would be very ugly handling wise.

To keep costs down, I was thinking bring your own battery, NIMH only. Unless we could do some testing to see what it would take to even out lipos vs NiMH (weight penalty, maybe even gearing change), I think it would be cheaper and easier to just say bring your own batteries.

The motor grab bag idea is a possibility. We tried that at Trackside about four years ago for a while and it seemed to work out ok. Everyone had there silver can, put it in a common box at the beginning of the night, and grabbed blind out of the box the motor they would use for the entire night. Maybe we could get a bunch of silver cans dyed blue in keeping with the M03R release bling. (Anybody know if it is possible to blue annoidize the can without affecting the comm/brushes?) Perhaps you get to grab a motor out of a bag, use it one round, then everyone has to turn it in at the end of the round for another repick. Do it betwen rounds to keep things moving and orderly. If we do that, what do you think about the following guideline: No tinkering with the motor please - no water dipping, comm manipulation, etc. You may clean it out and oil it, and run it. Remember, the motor you "tinker" with may turn out to be the greatest on earth, but you won't be using it more than one run, and do you want to end up with someone else's "over tinkered" dog in the next round?

An outlandish T shirt along the line of the real life MINI billboards, cartoonish talking MINI - good idea. And the T shirt would not be white.

Tamiya only bodies, and yes there would be a concours judging. Perhaps a bonus point if you show up for the event driving a real MINI! (I don't own one). Maybe the Milw area MINI dealer could put a Cooper MINI or two on display outside with a banner - MINI"S RACING INSIDE _ COME WATCH! (In case you don't know, Trackside is an inside carpet on road facility - the race would go rain or shine, but it sure would be nice to have an audience cheering us on as well. )(If not the dealer, I could call the local MINI group and see about having a couple of their members put cars on display on the lawn of Trackside. A bunch of us RC Mini drivers joined the real MINI drivers in a 4th of July parade this last year - driving our respective minis in the parade together (with the rc mini's putting on a Shriner's like weaving show dwon the parade route).)

Prizes: Clear lexan tropies in the shape of a mini?? Real MiniUSA promotional things (key fobs, hats, mugs, etc)? I'm sure Tamiya USA would throw in an M03R kit or something similiar.

Maybe run the qualifiers as 5 minutes, but mains as 8 minutes.

Now this may be really off track, but...
Every once in a while we have run Touring car enduro event. Tamiya Aliso Viejo has done the same with good results. I alway thought that Minis would be an excellent chassis to use for a tag team enduro event. The cars are sturdy, the motors are low power so no worry about burning up brushes, tires last a very long time (and get better as you run them rather than wear out). Teams of four/five guys alternate driving, 1000 laps. Mandatory pit stops, where you pull in, take off the one team body from your chassis, put it on the next teammates chassis with its new fuel cell, and go. Minis are so small, you could run 15 teams on a track. With many people switching to DSM, freequency conflicts are less of a problem. Rather than one team chassis for the entire event (which certainly works), I like the idea of each team member running his own chassis, because ....

Now is there a way to combine the two fun ideas into a single weekend event? Saturday do team enduro, Sunday do individual event? Enduro lap times (with your individual chassis) as the basis for qualifying for Sunday individual event?

Guys, I'm open to all suggestions - crazy or not. On the one hand, I don't want to get too ambitious, on the other hand I would like to see this be a really unique event full of fun and racing. Mini's are always the low keyed but very fun class in TCS racing, and our weekly races here at Trackside uphold that low key nature . (For example, for our club racing, Mini's do not do IFMAR qualifying but qualify heads up, and the main is lined up in reverse qualifying order - teaches you needed skills in patience and passing. In addition, if someone gets out too far ahead, they might well pull over to close up the race, and if you are too far behind people have been known to take a special "short cut" to catch up -again to emphasize door to door driving fun.

One last note: in every way possible I want this to be not only a fun event but a good undertaking for the host track. Yes, you bring your cars and supplies, but make a personal committment to buying everything that you possilbly can here. I'd make sure that every possible mini part would be available here in quantity for the event in return for a committment to buy local. We all know you can find this or that deal somewhere online, in Hong Kong, etc - but while it may be easy to buy online, it's hard to race an event like this online - you need the facility to support you and vice versa.

Time to get back to work - again I welcome all comments and suggestions.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Boy Dave, you put some thought into this didn't you.

These are all great ideas. I think it would be great to have a race where everyone is equal in car / set up but is challenged in driving ability. Now, that would be a true STOCK class. Kind of like NASCAR's restrictor plate races.

As long as the rules are made up in advance and that everyone follows them, it sounds like it would be a great race.

If you need any help, count me in.

The enduro race sounds cool, who is out there creating their teams right now?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Sounds great. The enduro sounds fun, and I'm all for trying something a little different like that (at our local club, we just had an end-of-indoor-season 30 minute endurance race and it was a lot of fun -- it's got a whole different feel than 5 minute "sprint" races).

My preference would be stand alone events -- "ala carte" so each driver can pick what they want to participate in, rather than being locked in for a full 2, or 3 day event. If someone doesn't want to do the enduro, that's fine, don't tie it into the "main event". Or, if all someone wants to do is the enduro, that's fine too.

Maybe Friday night enduro races, Saturday & Sunday is qualifying and mains for the "sprint" (5 or 8 minute) races.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with Hawk, we don't want to make this event too many day. I like the Friday night enduro and a separate race Saturday and Sunday. It would be nice if the racers didn't have to take vacation to run this event.

I also like the idea of having real Mini's out in front of Trackside promoting the event. Dealer are normally pretty good about letting you display their cars if you give them credit. Put the cars out a week or two ahead with signs "MINI RACE THIS WEEKEND SPECATORS FREE."

I agree with Carl, whatever we do the rules need to be firmly set well in advance so everybody knows what to expect.

Maybe Carl could arrange for one of his Hooters girls to hand out trophies. Or Carl could dress up like a hooters girl

How does the enduro team of the Weirs, Doc and the Keys sound

Dave, if you need any help you can count on me as well. This sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steven Key
Or Carl could dress up like a hooters girl
Nah... then I'd have to shave my legs again.

I could try and get some trophy girls though. Maybe even make up an enduro team. Now that would be cool. Who wants to be on my team then?

Last edited by CSeils; 05-02-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

David the Mini is an excellent Enduro car. We did a 12hr at SIR and had no issues with the car other than the Counter gear if the car bicycled then it would come down and rop a tooth or 2. It did sound like it was mixing Margarita's after that.......Tires were 1 set for the entire race.

The Mini event sounds fun not sure if I can get back to it or not with business as it is (very busy) but I would help support it in anyway possible. Maybe we'd even send back Doug to harass you and Scotty for the weekend.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Difuser
The Mini event sounds fun not sure if I can get back to it or not with business as it is (very busy) but I would help support it in anyway possible. Maybe we'd even send back Doug to harass you and Scotty for the weekend.
Difuser,
FYI, It was the mini I bought from you that made it to the middle of the B Main at Trackside at the March TCS race - in the hands of my 11 year old son. So, you're here in spirit if nothing else. (Hope you don't mind the duct tape bumper).
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-dereks-mini-reduced.jpg  
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave-
I advocate the grab bag philosophy as much as possible because it completely removes the motor/battery issue. My preference is to start with new equipment rather than racers tossing their own equipment in a bag. If I bring a junk motor and/or battery to the race, what I get out of the bag has got to be statistically better, but if we start with all motors and batteries being equal, then things have a better chance of remaining more or less equal throughout the weekend. And NiCad batteries instead of nIMh- harder to kill.

Additional rule suggestion: No water dipping, no zappers, and no dynos allowed in the building.

Kit tires actually work pretty well on carpet (ask Jay Helson) and every body gets a set when they buy a car. Inserts, too.

Whatever you guys decide to do, count me in!!!

Last edited by rccardr; 05-03-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can anyone give me some information about the Fremont race? Looking for a friendly Tamiya buddy to share table/chair/EZ-Up for food, parts, etc. Any takers?

I'll be flying in on Saturday morning, looking for details on when track setup occurs, practice times, traction level, and so forth. James Arluck, are you out there?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Can anyone give me some information about the Fremont race? Looking for a friendly Tamiya buddy to share table/chair/EZ-Up for food, parts, etc. Any takers?

I'll be flying in on Saturday morning, looking for details on when track setup occurs, practice times, traction level, and so forth. James Arluck, are you out there?
doc, you're always welcome under my ez-up. but im not sure yet if im doing the fremont race. but if i do go up, i'll let you know and save you a spot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.