Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
better get two knee braces... so when your legs have support after they buckle when i pimp you REPEATEDLY you at every corner!

you'll get pimped like you're on hollywood and vine!
You can't pimp a pimp
you'll look like a chimp
In your style, I'll put a crimp
at the end of the day, you'll simp
you'll be as useless as a temp
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Anyway, for next year I am going to introduce a new class that I'm sure some will like and others may find ways to debate it. It's really simple and it should prove to be interesting to see what people end up spending their hobby race dollars on for next year. Thinking out loud it will be called Formula GT. It will be very spec. Orion 3200 or 4800 Lipo's, Novak 13.5 brushless motors. TA-05 Chassis cars. 8 minute racing. We'll see what happens.......
Like the sound of this class, I will be in!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi Guys. I updated the website with some new Fun Race details. In the interest of experimentation I am allowing the guys in 19T (GT-1) and GT-2 to run the Novak 10.5 and 13.5 motors respectively. Sine we are trying Lipo's for all classes to see what's what it will be just as interesting to see the brushless factor.

As far as the Lipo debate, I see both sides of the coin. Personally, as a racer (when time permits ) I hate what I've been seeing going on with all the I.B/E.B. GP whatever battery wars. There's way too much VODOO magic to those things, but it's been that way forever, but worse today so it seems. At last year's KO GP I had so much fun running the one LIPO I had. That battery today is as fast now as it was 7 months ago. Right now I'm trying to help some guys prepare for the Reedy Race and all my battery stuff is junk. Good enough for practice, but it's slow

Anyway, for next year I am going to introduce a new class that I'm sure some will like and others may find ways to debate it. It's really simple and it should prove to be interesting to see what people end up spending their hobby race dollars on for next year. Thinking out loud it will be called Formula GT. It will be very spec. Orion 3200 or 4800 Lipo's, Novak 13.5 brushless motors. TA-05 Chassis cars. 8 minute racing. We'll see what happens.......
Fred,
Chalk up another one for Formula GT, you could almost call it Pro Spec as it would be for the more experienced drivers. Oh and by the way YGM
Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm thinkin...Formula GT3L: silver cans, lipo, TA05's (any type, tub, carbon, whatever) fixed gearing around 5.4...and TWO 20 minute races, first one IFMAR, second one heads up based on Qualifier results.

Don't forget to blink!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Dang, I ditched my Novak brushless ESC last year, but it looks like I'm gonna be in the market again. I love the sound of Brushless AND LiPos for a TCS event. Next to zero maintenance, half the battery/motor equipment needed (if not less) to carry on the plane, no "motor of the month club", and no more breaking in 20 silver cans just to find one that might get out of it's own way.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
"Lim"onade
Limmer has a new nickname!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I'm there 110%!!! Awesome!!

Finally it will take out the guys who can afford to buy new cells for every TCS weekend and no more rebuilding motors every round!! We locally have been running both 10.5 and 13.5 lipo for 8+ months and it has proven to be the best racing I've ever experienced in 10+ years of sedan racing. It comes completely down to driving and setup.

Also taking out the voodoo behind buying 100 silver cans to get the top 2..and then applying the top secret breakin drops flown in from some island in the middle of nowhere..etc
Originally Posted by FMW
Hi Guys. I updated the website with some new Fun Race details. In the interest of experimentation I am allowing the guys in 19T (GT-1) and GT-2 to run the Novak 10.5 and 13.5 motors respectively. Sine we are trying Lipo's for all classes to see what's what it will be just as interesting to see the brushless factor.

As far as the Lipo debate, I see both sides of the coin. Personally, as a racer (when time permits ) I hate what I've been seeing going on with all the I.B/E.B. GP whatever battery wars. There's way too much VODOO magic to those things, but it's been that way forever, but worse today so it seems. At last year's KO GP I had so much fun running the one LIPO I had. That battery today is as fast now as it was 7 months ago. Right now I'm trying to help some guys prepare for the Reedy Race and all my battery stuff is junk. Good enough for practice, but it's slow

Last edited by Core Creations; 04-23-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
3-5 Years?
If you're going to stay with the hobby you better get with the times.
Lipos are not only coming, they are here. The more people that see how these work the more people will be running them. It is not as big an expense as you might think. If you go the Orion Avionics route for a charger, the charger will run $75-$80. You will spend more up front on the batteries, but you won't buy another pack for 3-5 years compared with buying new NIMH cells every year or two. My Quantum2 works fine with the lipo, remember it only produces .2 of a volt more than the NIMH's. As far as the chassis balance, I ran the 4800 Platinum in my 05 on Friday night, there was no noticible effect on handling, that pack is about 3oz lighter than a NIMH pack. Trust me the sooner you convert the happier you will be.
I look at it from the standpoint of where I am racing and who I race with. Maybe some tracks are strongly into it. I have not seen it in my area. Many guys I run with just like racing and don't care to spend a bunch of money in new electronics that are not locally supported.

People talk about 4200s exploding never had a problem with over a year of running them. Usually older chargers will warrant over charging the newer cells, which could have been the problem. I have heard worse horror stories with Lipos which furthers my lack of excitement for them. I am glad they & FMW are promoting the new sealed ones.

Brushless, well I am more of a user of other BL systems than Novak. Part of it is the problems that people had with 13.5 ones. I thought Novak were having problems with them shutting down at the Reedy races? Again for me it goes into buying something that I cannot use locally, for one race does not make sense for me. I would rather use something else before I bought a Novak BL system.

Last edited by A-Ko; 04-23-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

hey guys anybody know a good charger for around 55-60$ for the race spec lipo and does anybodyh know some good chargeing techniques?

-Lee
Old 04-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
hey guys anybody know a good charger for around 55-60$ for the race spec lipo and does anybodyh know some good chargeing techniques?

-Lee
Hey Lee,
I run the Orion Advantage Flight charger, which is a little more than $60, but it works great. As far as charging, you set it to the appropriate Mah rating and hit start, when it finishes charging you put it in the car and run it. This is yet another plus of running Lipos as opposed to messing around with peaking and repeaking and discharge trays and all that BS
Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester

-Lee
Here you go Lee:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4058

Or

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=THP425

I've used both. I use the Thunder Power one on my 3-Cell airplane stuff, works awesome. That's the nice thing about LiPo...there AREN'T any mumbo-jumbo charging techniques. If it's a 3200Mah battery, you charge at 3.2 amps. 4800? 4.8. It's pretty simple. Even Marty can do it!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Brushless, well I am more of a user of other BL systems than Novak. Part of it is the problems that people had with 13.5 ones. I thought Novak were having problems with them shutting down at the Reedy races? Again for me it goes into buying something that I cannot use locally, for one race does not make sense for me. I would rather use something else before I bought a Novak BL system.
Jeff maybe some of the early systems along with the unknown and gearing that was done. We run a 13.5 class at SIR that is growing at 1-2 systems a week. The guys love the no motor maint part. Funny thing is most of the converts are the guys who were the Silvercan regulars. They look at brushed and don't want to deal with the hassle of cutting tweeking etc.
We also ran a 24hr Enduro with Support From Novak on my Team. Charlie sent me 2 speedo's and 3 motors 2 of 1 wind 1 of another. All of it was factory wrapped and none of it was voodoo stuff. We never changed a speedo or motor in the entire event. We did have one issue where the switch wires had come loose and rubbed on a tire. With the GTB we unplugged it from the pins and put the new one on.

We also ran Li-pos with the entire combo and whilst consistent I could also tell you when we had pack #2 and #9 in the car while driving.........
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I look at it from the standpoint of where I am racing and who I race with. Maybe some tracks are strongly into it. I have not seen it in my area. Many guys I run with just like racing and don't care to spend a bunch of money in new electronics that are not locally supported.
A-Ko - I think you are missing the point. Switching to Lipo's is much cheaper for the racers. If the guys in your area don't like to spend a buch, then they are prime candidates for lipos. 3 sets of NiMh will cost $210 and barely last 6 months if you are lucky. You can buy 2 Orion 3200 lipos AND a lipo charger for $230. I've done testing on the Kokam cells. At 700 complete charge/discharge cycles, they are still within 90% capacity while maintainng voltage and IR. You can run those cells EVERY DAY for 2 YEARS and your cells will discharge like they are brand new.

The fact is that just about everyone who has given lipo a try will never return to Nimh.

Concerning safety - not all lipo cells are equally safe. The cells from Kokam used in the Team Orion packs are safer than IB4200's.
See the Lipo Awareness thread. I wrote the text, and Syndrome reposted it.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...lipo+awareness
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Difuser]
We also ran a 24hr Enduro with Support From Novak on my Team. Charlie sent me 2 speedo's and 3 motors 2 of 1 wind 1 of another. All of it was factory wrapped and none of it was voodoo stuff....QUOTE]

We also ran a Novak 5.5 for the 3 hour (or was it 4 hour, I can't remember...getting old) Tamiya enduro. Unlike Dan, we didn't have the Novak factory support or hookup. We ran a 5.5 (old version, non-sintered rotor) that we bought from a hobby store. We ran it pack after pack after pack and it finally did thermal....at the 2 hour and 30 minute mark. To me, that's more than acceptable performance.
I now own a Novak 4.5 with the sintered rotor. After installing the sintered rotor - it does not thermal - ever. My only gripe with that motor is that it has TOO MUCH POWER.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by linger
I've done testing on the Kokam cells. At 700 complete charge/discharge cycles, they are still within 90% capacity while maintainng voltage and IR. You can run those cells EVERY DAY for 2 YEARS and your cells will discharge like they are brand new.
And you said you were retired. D@#! you Ling... not fair! I knew you've been practicing all this time? Gotta find that Area 51 in Norcal... Geez, I thought we were both going to $uck at Reedy... I guess I'll be alone in J-Main. j/k!

Anyway, my 2 cents on Lipo Batteries. BE VERY CAREFUL: It might cause trauma. This past weekend, it literally scared one of the TAOB members off the drivers stand. Car apparently went from slow to freaking ultra-uncontrollable fast. He literally ran back to the pits shaking...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.