Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Northwest RC racers you're invited to attend the 2nd Annual Race for Grace! at Seattle Indoor Raceway.

Date: May 12th, 2007
Time: 9am-4pm
Kent, WA 98032
(425) 251-6119

I'm posting this outside of the SIR thread because this event is a chance for all NW racers to unite for one cause, raising awareness and helping children.

President Clinton recognized the month of May as National Cornelia de Lange Syndrome (CdLS) Awareness Day. What is CdLS? You can visit the website to learn more about this syndrome and the children: CdLS Website

Why does SIR care so deeply about raising awareness of CdLS? Owner, Doug Papka and his wife Robyn are the proud parents of our guest of honor, the beautiful Grace Papka. Grace was diagnosed with CdLS, but with the support and love of her family, she is progressing well. All funds raised at this event will be donated to raise the awareness of CdLS and help other children like Grace.

What can you do to help? Come and join us! Race in the RC race! Donate prizes for fund raising raffles! Donate food for the racer potluck! Tell a friend about the event!

If you would like to sign up to race, you may contact SIR. For anything else, feel free to send me a PM or email.

We thank you in advance sharing in this awesome event!

RC Wife
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=311

Hello everyone. In case anyone was wondering the 2007 TCS regionals and TCS North American Finals will be held at our current location in Aliso Viejo. Bring it!!!!!

FM

It's going to be one heck of a final season at TA.
Fred can you confirm what days the track will be open for practice? Will it stull be Tuesday-Friday, 9am-4:30pm?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Max.

I've seen picture of that car 6 months before. so i guess i shouldn't of asked.

I really don't know if it will keep up with the 415's.

-Lee
Old 04-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

whoa... that IFS is freakier than Jack Skelington and The Corspe Bride combinded.

Which is a good thing! that thing could handle!

The body looks knarly.

-Lee
Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The M03R is now shipping.

Check out the Fun Race News on our news section of the website
Old 04-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

Fun Race... sweet Fred.

so its a Venti White Chocolate Mocha, double shot of expresso with whip cream?

oh wait.. thats my drink.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Ken & Kathleen Owen have brought by the donation for the Race for Grace.
Another awesome quilt.

The silent auction starts today. Place your bids now. I have been told that there are 30 hours into the making of this quilt.

Thanks Ken and Kathleen, you to are the best
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-pic2.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-pic.jpg  
Old 04-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

(FUN RACE) A sign of next years Lipo rules??
Originally Posted by FMW

Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I hope not, for 2 reasons.

#1 - The cars CG/Rollcenter/balance was not designed with Lipo in mind.

#2 - The cost to jump into Lipo would change the interest of the series for many people. Mainly having to buy new chargers, esc's etc for one race. If most of the local tracks were running Lipo's that would be another story. I understand the logic of Lipo's, it just would be bad timing to go full bore into them. Maybe 3 to 5 years would be more realistic. . .
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Core Creations
YES!!!! To bad I can't go. Maybe next year I'll make a TCS.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko

#2 - The cost to jump into Lipo would change the interest of the series for many people. Mainly having to buy new chargers, esc's etc for one race. If most of the local tracks were running Lipo's that would be another story. I understand the logic of Lipo's, it just would be bad timing to go full bore into them. Maybe 3 to 5 years would be more realistic. . .
3-5 Years?
If you're going to stay with the hobby you better get with the times.
Lipos are not only coming, they are here. The more people that see how these work the more people will be running them. It is not as big an expense as you might think. If you go the Orion Avionics route for a charger, the charger will run $75-$80. You will spend more up front on the batteries, but you won't buy another pack for 3-5 years compared with buying new NIMH cells every year or two. My Quantum2 works fine with the lipo, remember it only produces .2 of a volt more than the NIMH's. As far as the chassis balance, I ran the 4800 Platinum in my 05 on Friday night, there was no noticible effect on handling, that pack is about 3oz lighter than a NIMH pack. Trust me the sooner you convert the happier you will be.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by A-Ko

1. adding lead weight sucks but thats only for races where a minimum weight is needed. and at those races, lipos aren't legal anyway. so its a moot point

2. a team orion/peak 3200 carbon lipo is about $75 (fits beautifully in a TA05). a team orion flight advantage charger (the small one) is about $70. thats $145. 3 packs of IB4200 costs about $130-$160 (depending on your hook up/discount/sources, company choice etc...)

who told you that you need a new ESC to run lipos??? if a driver doesnt have the self control to pull the car over once they feel a drop in performance, then buy the $35 Novak lipo cutoff switch. it's reviewed in this month's RC Car Action.

dont be afraid to embrace new technology, especially if you are working with a BUDGET.

and more proof... yesterday, some members of TAOB went to a parking lot race with nothing more than 4 lipo packs. 1 pack for me, a pack for my other teammate, and the other member had 2 packs because he ran two classes.

Some links:

Team Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger:
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=59&id=6242

Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200 LiPo batteries:
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=516&id=6297

Last edited by Hebiki; 04-23-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added more text
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Brad, I'll argue that the current generation of 4200's have erased any voltage difference between LiPo's and Sub-C's. Do the math... 1.233 x 6 = 7.398. And packs are pretty regularially available now above that too! Main thing is with LiPo it runs the same charge after charger, they don't blow the casing off like a shot gun shell, and you don't need all these discharger, balancers, and equilizers! On Off-Road, my car actually handles better and reacts quicker with my LiPo practice pack than the bricks I have to run. And Jeff, if you buy 1 LiPo and a LiPo charger, you can replace 6 Sub-C packs easily. Plus you can get a GOOD LiPo Charger for $45! I can't wait for LiPo's to be more readily accepted!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Lord

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
3-5 Years?
If you're going to stay with the hobby you better get with the times.
Lipos are not only coming, they are here. The more people that see how these work the more people will be running them. It is not as big an expense as you might think. If you go the Orion Avionics route for a charger, the charger will run $75-$80. You will spend more up front on the batteries, but you won't buy another pack for 3-5 years compared with buying new NIMH cells every year or two. My Quantum2 works fine with the lipo, remember it only produces .2 of a volt more than the NIMH's. As far as the chassis balance, I ran the 4800 Platinum in my 05 on Friday night, there was no noticible effect on handling, that pack is about 3oz lighter than a NIMH pack. Trust me the sooner you convert the happier you will be.
we must have been typing at the same time.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Brad, I'll argue that the current generation of 4200's have erased any voltage difference between LiPo's and Sub-C's. Do the math... 1.233 x 6 = 7.398. And packs are pretty regularially available now above that too! Main thing is with LiPo it runs the same charge after charger, they don't blow the casing off like a shot gun shell, and you don't need all these discharger, balancers, and equilizers! On Off-Road, my car actually handles better and reacts quicker with my LiPo practice pack than the bricks I have to run. I can't wait for LiPo's to be more readily accepted!
if you want exploding batteries. ask Steve Hickman about his 4200s that exploded at his pit at this past SIR TCS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.