Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree833Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe you should have beat him Rod or at least take his Binky away. Good job PM me with a private number to call you I want to talk about the details

D
Old 11-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah it's not very nice to walk into a TCS race and beat up 12 year old kids for their prizes and send them home crying to their mommas...
Uh, Scotty did this back in the day at like race #14 in the 4x4 truck class. Beat up on a bunch of kids. I hear it wasn't even close...

Cooper, my son races with me in the TCS. He's done so for the last 4 years or so. The TCS is about the only time he races all year, and he's made the top ten once or twice. By your standard he'd have to race GT3. I think it should be a race director's call.

I like the GT3 class personally. I don't think entrys should be limited to racers who have been racing for a shorter period of time. We had an awesome group at the Trackside TCS in GT3 last year, mostly because it wasn't a motor war but a chassis war. I ran GT2 and GT3, plus I was working on my son's TL-01 and Rally car. GT3 is nice because I don't have to mess around with motors. What was cool was preparing for the TCS last year I started running in GT3 trim, including motor. I made the A main almost every week, and the week I didn't I think I won the B. Plus, if you look at Japan, the GT3 rules more closely follow the Japan motor rules then GT2....
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Kingzj,

In any competition I think winning is everything. Why would you compete if it is not. If you come in 2nd you still are the loser. Just the 1st in line podium loser.

I disagree that if you win a kit that 2nd should get it. That is part of the incentive of the series is to win a kit. If 2nd has to do it by not winning what does that say about the winner, well good job but not good enough. Or good job and go away, we don't want you in the series anymore. Why would anybody want to travel 700 or more miles without more incentive other than a golden metal with fabric.

I would say to 2nd maybe you should have tried harder. Tamiya pulls off many good events over the year and even gives out many raffle prizes. If I ran and won GT1 and the next time wanted to race it again, I would expect a kit, assuming if I won. It is like money in a way that top racers in other venues can get.

Gcooper,

I have won car kits in the past I am speaking from experience. I have traveled thousands of miles to several different venues. I simply want to eliminate the cherry pickers and their are a bunch of them. I would love nothing more then to win a event and get a very nice medal and a t-shirt and let the kid who took second get the car kit because I have allready won a one. This is a FREE event that Tamiya in nice enough to give us it should be nothing but fun and fair. And on another generally if you win a tcs class you are fairly into the whole Tamiya thing and allready have everything you need and the $60 tlo1 kit you win will most likely get tossed on a shelf or sold cheaply anyway so why not spread the FUN.................
Old 11-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been racing in the TCS series since the very first one at Aliso when they opened the track...probably a couple dozen in all. Made the A at the Nats a couple of times but never won the Big Prize. I've done OK- I think I've taken home nine or ten medals in all. Maybe three or four of those were golds when I won a kit. While some of the posters here have made a good point about the cost of traveling to the races around the country (I did five myself last year), let's face it- winning a kit and selling it on eBay doesn't really defray much of the cost. And honestly, the last thing I need at this point in my life is more car kits.

So, here's the deal: any race I win this year the kit's going to be given away to the neediest person at the event. My choice. Might be the second place guy, might be some nine year old kid running a piece of crap that finished last in the D. The point is, they'll need (and appreciate) the kit much more than I will, and I won't have to go through airport security with it looking all filthy from a day of racing on the parking lot.

Those who feel the same way are welcome to join in. Those who disagree are welcome to tell me I'm full of crap. OK, even if you agree you can tell me I'm full of crap.

Doc
Old 11-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rccardr
So, here's the deal: any race I win this year the kit's going to be given away to the neediest person at the event. My choice. Might be the second place guy, might be some nine year old kid running a piece of crap that finished last in the D. The point is, they'll need (and appreciate) the kit much more than I will, and I won't have to go through airport security with it looking all filthy from a day of racing on the parking lot.

Those who feel the same way are welcome to join in. Those who disagree are welcome to tell me I'm full of crap. OK, even if you agree you can tell me I'm full of crap.

Doc
Doc,

I think that would be a better sentiment than forcing 1st to unload it to 2nd. Usually 2nd probably does not need it as well either. What if all 3 podium makers won the class in one year... then who do you pass it to.

Some kits may not be worth much to some but to others on limited budgets they can be like gold. Some of the guys on limited budgets have won bigger races and appreciate the loot they can bring home. Less strain on the family or their investment. I heard one guy traded his kit for a slightly used 414M2 which due to budget constraints he could not justify the investment otherwise.

Remember this hobby is a bottomless pit of finance, updates and changes. Others who are sponsored by VISA or a high paying job probably should look for a kid at the track who really might like such a kit that was won.

Nah, your not full of crap, just an unselfish person in a selfish world.

Coop
Old 11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, this discussion has gone pretty far. I hope the green lantern is reading.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I may not be very educated in the TCS world, but I thought the whole series was to promote Tamiya, the Hobby of RC racing, and to have fun while doing it. I have only raced in one Event so far but I do know I had a blast dong it. I got to watch some great racing and beginers get their start in racing. It also was fun getting advice from the top drivers. The atmosphere was relaxed and the sharing of techniques, settups, and even parts was refreshing. I can't wait to race in the next regional in my area and I can't wait to see my 6 year old son race in the TL01 spec class. I may not win and get a kit but I will have a blast anyway, and that is what I think the whole Idea of the TCS is anyway. After all it is free and If everyone keeps complaining about every little thing that they don't agree with whats to keep Tamiya USA from pulling the plug on the Whole TCS thing all together. Especially with the development of the their world class winning chasiss TRF 414, TRF 415, and the EVO 3. Until these cars came about the only racing Tamiya did was the TCS.

I may be way off base but this is just my 2 cents worth.

Anyway I have still learned alot from everyones posts and I know I still have much to learn.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am sure the GREEN LANTERN sees and knows. The Green Lantern will prevail!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doc:

You and I think alike about the car kits. A few days ago I PM'd fmw and suggested much the same thing about car kits - if I win another I would get a bigger kick out of giving the kit to someone who would really get a kick out of it, such as the top rookie in the class, or as you suggest, the most needy, or the most up and coming, the most deserving (the kid that volunteers to marshall when needed), etc. That's not to say that if they suddenly start offering Surikarn's as regional prizes that I won't be willing to take it home.

Re: the costs of going to Nationals. It is not about recouping your expenses: if so, then buy a lottery ticket, your payoff will be better. For me, and I think most of the guys I've gone out there with over the last several years (my first was 1996(?) when Scotty won) the reasons for going are: fun of spending a week doing little but drive and race rc cars, fun at a relatively low key event, fun racing at a national level event where it is just us non-sponsored rc nuts (the guys who really do it just for fun, not for profit) fun competing with like minded folks from around the US, and finally, yes, it would be fun to bring home the ticket to Japan and have another week racing with Tamiya folks in a country I've never been to.

Re the classes: TL-01 should be for beginner level drivers. That should mean true beginners as well as those whose skills are still at a beginning level no matter how long you have raced at a Tamiya event. I think Tamiya has it right now, the local promoter gets the final call on who should be in the class versus who should try their skills at GT-3 or above. Just because a class uses a Johnson motor does not mean it should be a class only for beginners. Mini is a fun class for drivers of all skills: locally, we've had some pretty good drivers give it a try and love it. Heck, Paul Lemieux came to Trackside for a number of weeks to just to race Mini, saying he hadn't had that much fun in a long time ( and he gave me some great competition). He didn't even bother to bring his touring car, just his mini!

Re the new rules for TCS this year: I wish that they would change the motor rule in F201 to either the Tamiya 23 turn stock (which they ran at nationals this year) or 19 turn like the GT1. The F201's need just a bit more oomph then a stock motor can provide, and the 19 turn or 23 turn runs a heck of a lot cooler than the stock in that chassis. (Want to toast a monster stock motor? Just run it around in an F201 for as long as a 3300 will last and you'll have good odds on a toasted monster, as well as a melting bottom chassis plate. (I know, I was stupid enough to forget how long I was running!))
Old 12-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave-
I'm with you all the way. It's all about the fun, man. On the other hand, if they DO start giving away Surikarns as prizes, I may change my mind...that red aluminum would look very nice on a new TB02 tub chassis, don't you think?

I would also like to see the motor rules amended, but to permit unlimited motors in BOTH GT1 and F201. Not that I race either class (it would just mean that I would break parts more quickly!), but everyone I talk to who has an opinon seems to think that the Modified cars should be able to run what they brung (strap in and hold on). Meanwhile, the F201 guys still haven't figured out which motor offers the best balance between rpm and torque. Personally, my guess is around a 14 double- but what do I know?

TL-01 is a beginner class. Period. In my opinion, anyone who looks like they have a real clue should be bumped up to GT3 after the first heat. Leave the novice class for the novice drivers. They'll feel like they're getting a decent deal and the better drivers will migrate to the heart-pounding elbows-out competition of GT3. Seriously, that's some close shit. If you don't believe me, take a trip over to RCO in PA, where the class started. They'll hand you your pride on a plate.

And those 540 SPort motors. Puhleeeaaase. What a piece. Don't get me started. Can we go back to ROAR stock motors next year?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What is the best TCS legal 19 turn spec motor for the GT1 class?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

I hear the quad mag motors are fast. But some aren't approved by ROAR yet.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Hey neil,
Did Rod PM you about the sale at Tamiya America this past weekend? It was the perfect time to pick up X-mas presents. Other than that it was a nice quiet day at the track. The grip level was good, even though the surface was unblown and untreated.

Last edited by gtypecanare; 12-08-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by gtypecanare
Hey neil,
Did Rod PM you about the sale at Tamiya America this past weekend? It was the perfect time to pick up X-mas presents. Other than that it was a nice quiet day at the track. The grip level was good, even though the surface was unblown and untreated.
Yes, he called me that morning. I had plans to babysit, couldn't get out of it. I hear you two went wild buying all kinds of stuff.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

You would too, let say this some of the 1/24 car kits were going for $1.04. Brand new kits too! It was not a good day to bring my coupe, it was packed. The funny part was getting my RC gear back into the car once I was done that afternoon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.