Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
This is a bit of a surprise, and a little sad at the same time. I ran the very first race at Aliso before there was even a true TCS before moving back to Michigan,and have made seven trips to the Nats over the years. It is a beautiful facility that will go down in history as one of the best that ever was.
I wonder if they will do something at the new place, or maybe revert back to Tamiyas roots and do a parking lot deal. If I had to bet I would say that they got an offer they couldn't refuse for the property, or if they lease the owners put the rent beyond what Tamiya could afford. After all it is a prime spot in the middle of a booming market.
I'm so sorry to hear that. This will send major shock waves around our country.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope that Fred comes on and posts here on Monday or Tuesday to give the official word to the rest of the TCS community (not attending SIR this weekend).

How many entries at SIR this weekend?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I could almost see it as being a rotational thing between Trackside and SIR.

Not that I would not want it in Memphis or Laurel, my concern would be weather as a factor, especially for outside places. So if the Aliso facility is sold between now and then and they bulldoze it, there are other options or even like was mentioned earlier.. go old school parking lot racing, by the new location.

I am glad I don't work for Tamiya USA, sounds like a nightmare.
I think you have a good idea with Trackside & SIR. No offense to the outside facilities, but unless you are in southeren California (ya know the song, it never rains in southern CA) it really needs to be at an indoor facility. People would hesitate to come to something of that scale if it is dependent on the weather being clear. I hesitate on Memphis these days afraid of driving 600 miles one way to be rained out in a spring TN rain. While July was almost always hot, it seemed to me to be less of a chance of a non race due to rain. (And yes, I was there for July races where it rained either the night before or was a hurricane right after the TCS race).

Where ever they end up holding the Nationals, parts availability should be of utmost concern. I really do want to and hope to be able to do Aliso Viejo for the Nats this August, but if the warehouse is gone by May, we'll really have to plan ahead on parts or Fred will have to have a truckload of parts brought on over to the track from the new warehouse site. Hey, maybe Fred could partner with Speedtech to be the "official" on site hobby shop, much like Scotty does with Ampdraw for Vegas? Half of the TCS attendees make the trek to Speedtech during Nats week anyway, maybe he would be open to moving the shop to Aliso Viejo for the week.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

News Flash.....
Date Line SIR....
Doc Mertes Wins his first ever MINI TCS....
Grins to follow
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 414MPH
News Flash.....
Date Line SIR....
Doc Mertes Wins his first ever MINI TCS....
Grins to follow
WAY TO GO DOC!!
You must have worked the bugs out of it from the time between the Trackside and SIR races.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Go Doc!!!!!
Great job
The million dollar question is will he get a streak going in Memphis?
If Jimmie Johnson can go two in a row, I would put money on Doc
Still having a hard time believing that Aliso will cease to exst before too long
I really wonder what it means for the series. I know that Fred has every intention of keeping it alive, but he doesn't have the final say. I hope that cooler heads prevail in Japan and they realize how much of a following they have here. In a perfect world Tamiya would set up shop in Irvine and build a new track that blows Aliso out of the water, but who knows.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Way to go Doc!!!!!
Keep that going in Memphis!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation TCS Results!

Can somebody post results of the race? Anybody....anybody........ Hey Chris!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Cliff, what about a reunion?
I wish we could, trust me I do. The track is still open hopefully for the next 2 months atleast.

After that I am thinking it is time to do the Eurostyle thing and form a club.

Professional and sponsored tracks are great but TC got going big because of groups of guys getting together on their own terms and I think those days may make a return.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was really looking forward to running the Reedy race just because I really wanted to run the Tamiya track.. This is just a suggestion.. Since they are not running the reedy race their and since the track will be gone in a couple of months can they open the track to EVERYONE? And.. they should... or someone should throw a "the last race at the tamiya track" race.. it would be fun! What do you think Mr. Black?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ICrashed
I was really looking forward to running the Reedy race just because I really wanted to run the Tamiya track.. This is just a suggestion.. Since they are not running the reedy race their and since the track will be gone in a couple of months can they open the track to EVERYONE? And.. they should... or someone should throw a "the last race at the tamiya track" race.. it would be fun! What do you think Mr. Black?
Actually the Reedy Race might still be held there as this has not been determined yet.

Opening the track to everyone would not be fair to Tamya's loyal customers many of whom who have been going there for many years. To have the track over run by every car would not be doing Tamiya's customers any favors. One of the perks of being Tamiya customer in SoCal has been the track and my opinion is it should remain that way until the end.

As far as a last race at Tamiya I think right now they are more conscerned with their plans going forward and ways to provide an even greater service to their customers nation wide rather then the lucky few who have enjoyed many years of free racing. And frankly I can't fault them for that and i beleive nobody else should.

Many may criticize Tamiya for only allowing Tamiya cars but they did it for free and they footed the bill for many years, many years more then all of the other manufacturers so nobody should say anything but thank them for all the years.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Did anyone here the rumor??
Jaun got beat by a Canadian this weekend!

What you don't see is all the talent that came to make podium and found some good racing.
Names like James A., Deven W., Steve H., Tony T., Jerome B.
With a 53 car GT3 field, it is always tough to get on the podium.

ok Lets see, What I can remember

Gt3
1. Scott H.
2. Jeff K.
3. Bruce H.

Gt2
1. Chris Lim.
2. Juan A.
3. Albert

Gt1
1. Mike T.
2. Juan A.
3. Mike P.

Mini
1. Doug M.
2. Gary A.
3. Chris W.

Spec
1. Mathew P.
2. Bill S.
3. Colton

TTG
1. Mike R
2. Paul P.
3. Karl N.

F103GT
1. Chris Lim
2. Can't remember
3. Can't remember

Past Champs.
1. Keith Yu
2. Brett S.
3. Troy C.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Although if you really wanted to run on the Tamiya track you could buy a TA05 pretty cheap.

I don't find any fault with that, its Tamiya's property and they can do what they want. Look at Nascar, they would not allow a Motorolla primary car sponsor because it would "conflict" with their Nextel promotion. They make the rules.

I am sure the moving bomb and lack of information is killing many of us. I hope they make an official announcement soon as far as intentions. Many of us enjoy making Tamiya & TCS part of their vacation destination. Right now things seem to be hanging in limbo... neither here or there. . .
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

At the end of the day Tamiya America is a business. I think part of actions you are seeing is that they did not look at it hard enough in the $$$ sense. For all the frowning face posts and "they better tell us all their plans" posts, that is just shortsighted. TCS is Tamiya's biggest marketing tool for the RC side. This all came down on Friday and with a substantial reduction in staff I think their is a form oc chaos around the office today. I know last night after TCS Fred had commented that he would be going to the office as soon as his flight landed.

Give TA some time and I am sure they will post what the plans for TCS etc is. For those who bought tickets etc. I guess I would be happy that they have not folded the series up and cancelled it. You can always change your flight dates and times.....
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
...but TC got going big because of groups of guys getting together on their own terms and I think those days may make a return.
You mean like the TCS used to be?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.