Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you remember back in the day, there was no 2-class limit at regionals. You could run as many classes as you like. This was changed to share the wealth, just as ruling that past champions cannot receive prizes. This ruling was made several years ago when another PC scooped up prizes in 3 or 4 classes. Which leads back to the reason why they give out the cars is for more people to race in different classes, not for people to sell and profit from.

KingJZ, I don't know about anyone else, but I have been refering to more then one PC here, not just a 2k1 PC. He's just done some of the more over the top things, so its assumed that is the only individual being refrenced....
Old 11-26-2003, 09:47 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TCS

Mini Driver,

You "will" be allowed to compete again at the 2004 TCS nationals. Since you did not win a trip winning award, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to enter again and go for a trip winning class next year. In 2004 we will run the mini class at all the regional races and it will be represented again at the Nationals. Will it be a trip winning trip in 2004? I don't know. Right now I would assume no. That may change, but that announcement will not be likely until summer.
Mini Driver. You will have many choices. 1. You can race mini again, whether it's a trip winning class or not. 2. You can race the past champs race. Keep in mind, you can do one or the other, but not both.
Also, next year no matter what, there will be only one entry per person. 2003 was the only exception because I know the mini thing was a sour subject because it wasn't a trip winning class.
So everyone knows. Mini was sopposed to be exhibition only for the World's. It's not that big of a class in Japan from what I'm told, but it's big here and in Europe. All in all I was told to only send three people this year and that's what we did. Everyone is speculating why. To be honest, some of your guys theories are true. Financial and popularity in Japan being the major reasons.

I hope I've answered some of the hot buttons today.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Difuser!!!!

Don't you have work to do???
I'm telling your Boss that your surfing the web on company time.
BAM!
Old 11-26-2003, 09:52 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

George,

I asked your mom to ask Rod how Soapland went when she picks him up later. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK you told me I'll spank myself and forbid me from using the web

Bad Dan, Bad Dan

9:49, 9:52 What time does the playground bell ring down there?

Old 11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Wait til Rod realises he is landing before he left Japan! That makes for a loooooong day
Old 11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by FMW
George,

I asked your mom to ask Rod how Soapland went when she picks him up later. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
You know that his mom will ask what is soapland, and if he visited that great place.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Hey FMW,
That would be the look of the day from Rod

Hey Dan,
That's going to mess him up real bad. Thinking about it, he left there Thursday, and get here today (Wednesday). Hmmmm....

Last edited by gtypecanare; 11-26-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats to Rod, but any word on where Steevie finished? I saw Mike had problems, but I didn't even see Steve's result.

Fred, should't you be serving celebs ice cream or something?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Fred is too busy shining his lamp.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gary, I am talking about more than just PC. I am talking about some of the guys who you and I know very welll who won more than their fair share of kits in the past . I strongly feel that if someone who has allready won a 1st place and has taken a car kit should no longer be eligible for a kit but they should still get credit for the win. Let the second place guy take the car kit. Thats all I was getting at. Basically some of the non champions are as bad as the PC that everyone is talking about.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: TCS

Originally posted by FMW
Mini Driver,

You "will" be allowed to compete again at the 2004 TCS nationals. Since you did not win a trip winning award, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to enter again and go for a trip winning class next year. In 2004 we will run the mini class at all the regional races and it will be represented again at the Nationals. Will it be a trip winning trip in 2004? I don't know. Right now I would assume no. That may change, but that announcement will not be likely until summer.
FMW,

Seems like everyone has an opinion, I will post mine.

I think it is great that you were able to offer the mini this year. It has been a staple in the TCS USA corral for a long time. I don't know what is to come of the class, knowing Tamiya they probably will re-release a 4WD version.

Anyway.

Hopefully it will become an official worlds class. If not then it will be a fun class to watch.

Mini Driver. You will have many choices. 1. You can race mini again, whether it's a trip winning class or not. 2. You can race the past champs race. Keep in mind, you can do one or the other, but not both.
Why 1 or the other not both? He worked his butt off racing all weekend in 2 classes. Actually his bread and butter class has been mini both locally and on the national level. You offer the Mini as a 2nd class, he won and now he is a National Champ. Don't get me wrong the Past Champ race is much needed why could he not want to run both if he desires? Isnt he a Past Champ? The past champ class is about bragging rights anyway and an excuses to bring guys together who for the most part would not be legal at a TCS race due to their sponsorships launched after their TCS wins.

Also, next year no matter what, there will be only one entry per person. 2003 was the only exception because I know the mini thing was a sour subject because it wasn't a trip winning class.
So everyone knows. Mini was sopposed to be exhibition only for the World's. It's not that big of a class in Japan from what I'm told, but it's big here and in Europe. All in all I was told to only send three people this year and that's what we did. Everyone is speculating why. To be honest, some of your guys theories are true. Financial and popularity in Japan being the major reasons.
Mini was a staple that does not want to die in the US market until Japan pulls the plug on parts and availability. It seemed to be a positive and respectable to offer 2 classes for a person to enter into. A Worlds Class and a US demo class. After hearing many stories from past conteners at the nats, it is a long haul. Some guys might spend $1500 or more when hotel, rental car, plane tickets, Tamiya parts and prepared-ness.

If mini is not going to be a Worlds Class I would suggest keeping it as another 2nd class for those who want to try it again. Maybe this time cap off the entries to 40 for mini. And keep the qualifiers at 10.

It is a long day a fun class to watch. I think it is only fair considering that World winnners and contenders from Japan and nearby can race and win the Worlds as much as they want. Heck even Canada can send the same guys from their races if they want. If a guy decides to race and win Tamiya USA mini class and come back un-sponsored to do it again that is up to him. If he does a 2nd class, that is up to him. The incentive at the Nats is to win the trip to Japan. Many share the dream and may never make it.

Why do you think guys shovel out $1500 or more to do the Nats trip. Its not for the notoriety, magazine coverage or being in the national spotlight. Usually the media coverage is poor at best as is the recognition. Within the TCS circuit is the only place you get fame and notoriety.

To sum it all up...
I think mini is a good 2nd class if it does not goto Japan.
Cap it at 40 if it is not Japan bound. (1st come 1st serve, 10 car heats)
If Minidriver wants he can;
Run Mini and a Primary Class or Past Champ Class (he was in the fun race was he not?). He has the option to run 2 like everybody else.

I hope I've answered some of the hot buttons today.
FMW thanks for your time and coming to this board. This is my lobby and I am sticking to it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everybody else...

Coop

p.s. minidriver, you can pay me later.... LOL

Last edited by gcooper; 11-27-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KINGZJ
Gary, I am talking about more than just PC. I am talking about some of the guys who you and I know very welll who won more than their fair share of kits in the past . I strongly feel that if someone who has allready won a 1st place and has taken a car kit should no longer be eligible for a kit but they should still get credit for the win. Let the second place guy take the car kit. Thats all I was getting at. Basically some of the non champions are as bad as the PC that everyone is talking about.
Kingzj,

In any competition I think winning is everything. Why would you compete if it is not. If you come in 2nd you still are the loser. Just the 1st in line podium loser.

I disagree that if you win a kit that 2nd should get it. That is part of the incentive of the series is to win a kit. If 2nd has to do it by not winning what does that say about the winner, well good job but not good enough. Or good job and go away, we don't want you in the series anymore. Why would anybody want to travel 700 or more miles without more incentive other than a golden metal with fabric.

I would say to 2nd maybe you should have tried harder. Tamiya pulls off many good events over the year and even gives out many raffle prizes. If I ran and won GT1 and the next time wanted to race it again, I would expect a kit, assuming if I won. It is like money in a way that top racers in other venues can get.

If you really want a car kit so bad then buy it. Don't rob it from the rightful heir who earned every bit of it.

Now if you are a National Champ sent to the worlds and remain unsponsored then I think you can only race National classes at regional TCS events. National drivers are needed in TCS to aid support in the future of TCS racing locally and nationally in growth and development. Whippler was a CP and raced the less challenging classes, even after his National title. Mini was his bread and butter. Every venue he went to he was not unbeatable, just the most prepared and in some cases the best luck.

Maybe the rules addendum should be like this example to weed out CPs., who are not always national winners.

TLO1 - Only racers who have been in the series for less than 3 years are eligible for a 1st place kit if they win.

GT3 - Only racers who have been in the series for less than 5 years are eligible for a 1st place kit if they win.

GT2, GT1, F201, Mini - Open - classes that only National winners can compete in.

Future classes - keep open.

If you raced TCS 1 time 6 years ago then you are only eligible for winning a kit in the National classes. CPs I consider are the ones in the hobby for a while like more than 5 years.

The Tamiya series is small enough, don't make it any smaller by taking away some peoples incentive for doing it. I don't think its greedy to go after wins, car kit and medals. I think experience should be in the faster classes and there needs to be a way to limit what experience can take from the slower/beginner classes.

Coop

Last edited by gcooper; 11-27-2003 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Coop,
Where all the complaints stem from is, you have a PC that goes and races TL01 at the TCS regionals. TL01 is a class for the beginners, and this racer is doing it to reap the wealth from the prizes. I would be another story to race GT3. But again there are people that do race the TL01 class and have for many years here in our area, and well I would rather them stay in TL01, cuase they still struggle in that class. But in all fairness they deserve to race any car they want, cause that will usually help them advance their skills.
I don't know how to solve the issue, unless it is up to the venue to decide in particular class the eligibilty of the racer for the class. ALso if someone step in to TL01 and the walk away with a win by a mile, and they are a PC or a very high caliber racer, like a RtypeC, or a Diffuser, do you honestly feel that they are being fair to the other racers in that class?? if thay lap the feild against a bunch of novice drivers.
I will defend myself here though. I like the silver can classes. I have never owened a TL01. I will likely race GT3, and mini this year. Motors are simple, it really leaves it to set-up, and Driving.
As Difuser can attest to the race last weekend. A TB02 and a 414M2 scraping it out. And Difuser even almost missed his lunch trying to make his car's, set-up better than the TB02. it was fun.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah it's not very nice to walk into a TCS race and beat up 12 year old kids for their prizes and send them home crying to their mommas...oh wait, a 12 year old did beat me...DAMN!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.