Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you can drive for five minutes without veering off course, hitting another car, or whacking the wall, it's time to move from Spec to GT3. Spec is really for noobies, kids learning to drive, and people who are not yet (or may never) at a skill level where they would be comfortable running with drivers of a moderate ability. Better to be competitive in the C Main in GT3 than walk away from the field in Spec.

The TT01R has a nice free drive train that's not too heavy. With the right motor, tires, gearing and a decent setup it would be very competitive in GT3 (just ask Bill Jacobs). However, the TA05 drivetrain is even more free rolling and the suspension is a better design, which is why all of the fast guys drive them.

Question for you: is it worth the extra time and money to buy one and set it up, or would you rather try and break into the A with your TT01?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tires

I'm planning on running GT-2 and have been researching tires and am confused by Tamiya's part numbers. I understand that Type A is for colder and Type B for warm and hot, but there are several B's and the price differences indicates they aren't the same.

#53705 has 4 Type B3's for $37.00,
#53294 has 2 Type B's for $16.50
Couldn't find a set of 2 B3's for sale.

What is the difference between B and B3, and what do people run? I'll be running at the Aliso Viejo regionals.

Are there different A's? The only part# I see is #53293.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Ha! You know I had that lazer stuff done on my eyes...guess I read what I wanted to read!!!

We had planned on going to the Mt Laurel TCS with TT-01's to run in the spec class. I don't think any of us are experts, but certainly not beginners.

We have been running the TT-01's all winter on the carpet, then when it was time to find out what upgrades we can apply to the car for the spec class....we noticed the non-beginners stay away note.

Is the TT-01R competitive in the GT-3 class on pavement? Or to we need to go get a TA05?

A tt-01 tq'ed the tamiya worlds the year Ling went.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
I'm planning on running GT-2 and have been researching tires and am confused by Tamiya's part numbers. I understand that Type A is for colder and Type B for warm and hot, but there are several B's and the price differences indicates they aren't the same.

What is the difference between B and B3, and what do people run? I'll be running at the Aliso Viejo regionals.

Thanks.
For tires....

Under 75 Degrees - use Type As with WD40 and warmers set to 90D
75-115 - use Type B3s with soft inserts (take off) and warmers set to 130
115-higher - use Type B's if you can get them, soft inserts and warmers set to 150
115-higher - use Type B3s with soft inserts (xenon) and warmers set to 150

B's are good for 1.5 runs. Hard to find, but with some luck they can be found.
B3's good for 3 runs

Inserts to test with Xenon, TakeOff or Tamiya. I liked the Take Off / Xenon inserts. I also ran HPI Anti-Replusion inserts - very soft - will free up the car.

Good Luck to everyone this year.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Thanks.

53293 is a 26mm Reinforced Slick Type-A - sold in a pair
53294 is a 26mm Reinforced Slick Type-B - sold in a pair
53412 is a 24mm Reinforced Tires Type B - With Wheels & inserts sold as a set of 4 (Discontinued)
53433 is a 24mm Medium-Narrow Tires Type A sold in a pair
53482 is a 24mm Medium-Narrow Reinforced Tires - Type B2 sold in a pair (Discontinued)
53705 is a 24mm Reinforced Tires Type B3 - sold as a set of 4.

The 26mm tires were used back in the days of the TA03, They are larger in diameter, and have a square profile.
The 24mm tires came out with the TA04 the are slightly smaller than the others but the have a rounded profile, these tires are more like the major tires used out side the TCS races. (sorex, take-off, RP, Much More) I think they are a better tire than the 26mm, even with the roll out disadvantage.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MDawson
For tires....

Under 75 Degrees - use Type As with WD40 and warmers set to 90D
75-115 - use Type B3s with soft inserts (take off) and warmers set to 130
115-higher - use Type B's if you can get them, soft inserts and warmers set to 150
115-higher - use Type B3s with soft inserts (xenon) and warmers set to 150

B's are good for 1.5 runs. Hard to find, but with some luck they can be found.
B3's good for 3 runs

Inserts to test with Xenon, TakeOff or Tamiya. I liked the Take Off / Xenon inserts. I also ran HPI Anti-Replusion inserts - very soft - will free up the car.

Good Luck to everyone this year.
Spoken like a true champ, great info chief!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
If you can drive for five minutes without veering off course, hitting another car, or whacking the wall, it's time to move from Spec to GT3. Spec is really for noobies, kids learning to drive, and people who are not yet (or may never) at a skill level where they would be comfortable running with drivers of a moderate ability. Better to be competitive in the C Main in GT3 than walk away from the field in Spec.

The TT01R has a nice free drive train that's not too heavy. With the right motor, tires, gearing and a decent setup it would be very competitive in GT3 (just ask Bill Jacobs). However, the TA05 drivetrain is even more free rolling and the suspension is a better design, which is why all of the fast guys drive them.

Question for you: is it worth the extra time and money to buy one and set it up, or would you rather try and break into the A with your TT01?
No, not going to buy a race for a single day event. And not going to go with a car that will be a struggle to do well. I'll have to think about it.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
A tt-01 tq'ed the tamiya worlds the year Ling went.
Interesting. When the snow melts we will put them on the pavement to see what end is up.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks MDawson for the details and tamiyarcracer for the part number information. Didn't catch that I had the wrong part numbers for the A's.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Thanks MDawson for the details and tamiyarcracer for the part number information. Didn't catch that I had the wrong part numbers for the A's.
NP.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

hey guys, I'm starting to get the entry forms in for the Coliseums Tamiya Race Fans race. This will surely fill up quickly, so if you're planning on making the trip, I need to get the entry forms in soon. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
hey guys, I'm starting to get the entry forms in for the Coliseums Tamiya Race Fans race. This will surely fill up quickly, so if you're planning on making the trip, I need to get the entry forms in soon. Thanks.
It looks like a great event, great site and great people!

Guys that like to travel, goto the Coliseum and check it out. I put a link on my signature. You could be part of what started it all, a race for Tamiya Race Fans put on by Tamiya Race Fans ! ! !
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Spring must be around the corner. I can tell because Doc is ready to emerge from winter storage, slowly opening the lid of his machined, blue aluminum cryogenic, ecto-pod to kick off yet-another TCS season.
Quite so, Andy. The wife's been knocking off the odd ice crystal so I don't drip on the carpet. Looks like I may make every Regional TCS event this year, although I'm gonna have to miss the TRF race at the Coliseum in April- too bad. Awesome facility and great people.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So Doug what do you think of the qual ideas we posted? That is about 90% BTW
Old 02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Me likey. Not so sure about the #3 and #4 heads up qualifiers, tho. I assume that #3 will be in qualifying order, but is #4 inverted, or in finishing order of #3, or what? Like the idea of getting people used to a heads up start but have also found that in many cases- especially in limited horsepower classes like GT3 and Mini- the top person in the qualifier just gets an unassailable lead and qualifying is pretty much done after round 2. Laurel generally runs heads up qualifyiing, and when you look at the lap 1 times of the first two or three cars, they tend to be 2-3 seconds faster than the rest of the field- that's almost impossible to make up. No system is perfect, but I'd go for three IFMAR starts with everything on race day being heads up. Just my $.02 and worth every penny.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.