Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree792Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish I could compete again but........

Tamiya has sound reasons for not letting the past chumps run in that if someone came in and won, they could lock up classes for 4 years now put that in 4 classes and you could have the same 4 people taking the trip for 4 years straight. Not the 16 that will have done it. Now advertising says that 4 people cannot spread the good word that 16 can so.....

Out of the group of 10 that did make it to past chumps this year I cannot think of anyone that did not have a fun time. Some of the people I did not know well and had a great time bench racing and getting to meet them personally. I think Fred is going to add this to the program as a regular feature as the feedback from Chumps and Competitors all had fun with it. At Burien's regional we were lucky enough to have 3 PC's and we had a PC race for bragging rights which made for a fun end of the TCS.

Izzy for sponsors when you get to Worlds all bets are off each region has different qualifications for eligibility. There has been sponsored drivers from alot of places that have competed in the past. Some of those people have had the sponsors before the Nats and some after due to winning. Just not full travel rides.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree that past winners of trips to Japan should not be eligible to compete for another trip. Let's spread the fun around.

This of course leaves me in the unique position of being the only North American Nationals class winner out of 36 in the last 9 years who was not allowed to compete in the World's in Japan (2003 Minis). And to top it off, according to the latest promo of TCS on Tamiya's website, they will once again be sending four winners to Japan! (At least if I am reading it correctly)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/index.html

"Now in its tenth year, the series was first started in 1995 and has thus far sent 35 National winners to compete at the Tamiya World Championships held every year in Shizuoka Japan. The Tamiya World Championships have contestants from all over the world. Drivers from the United States, Hong Kong, Europe and even Australia make their pilgrimage to the Tamiya World Finals once they have survived and conquered the best their nation has to offer.

The TCS series is a free entry event with exciting prizes and awards. The winners not only receive R/C products, but they also guarantee themselves a spot in the Tamiya North American Finals. The top ten of each class also earn themselves a spot for the Nationals. The FOUR winners of which, win an all expense paid trip to compete in the World Finals in Japan. As any of the past winners can attest, the trip to Japan along with the guided tour of Tamiya Headquarters is a once in a lifetime experience."
(My emphasis added).

So now what do I get to do? Race in GT1, GT2 or F201 and try for a trip to Japan? May I compete in Mini again at Nationals and if I would be fortunate enough to win again, this time get to go to Japan? Or since I am a Nationals winner, can I not win any of the trips to Japan, and if so, do I get to race in the past chumps race (which would be fun as well, don't get me wrong). Perhaps for 2004 they should send two for the mini class (2003 and 2004 Nationals mini winners) and see if we can give the world some stiff competition!

Seeing the World's results, with a mini world's champion, but with no North American allowed to compete this year at the World's has me bummed out!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

How about 02 and 03 that way you have a coach and mentor
Old 11-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

I not a fan of cherrypickin. I just think if you win the Nats you can only compete in Nat classes if you are not sponsored. You cannot run TL01, Mini, Rally, etc... Which is what the forementioned cherrypicker usually ran. What a person does with the kit that is their perogitive. If they build it or sell it on ebay that is up to them. If they have more medal than they know what to do with melt it down... LOL. Usually past champs maybe 95% get sponsored and that ruins their eligibility anyway.

You guys act like past champs are the only ones capable in winning a race if they were up against non champ racers. They are not. I could name a handful of people in each class that probably could win each Nat class, even against past champs, just look at the regionals. I think allowing a unsponsored past champ could make it more exciting and increase the odds of winning the worlds. If I raced and won the nats, I would rather have an experienced guy in the group then 3 virgins. If I beat a past champ at the Nats, assuming I was racing it, I would feel purty good. Surprised Jun does not babysit at the Worlds.

Sure the past champ class is great. It allows those that won and those who won and are sponsored compete. Usually TCS and TCS Nat wins gets people sponsored. Nothing wrong with that. I think Tamiya USA needs that as well, a way to bring the old sponsored dogs back.

I just think the US is always behind at the worlds and needs extra help that is not there. It would be nice to give past champs another chance to go there even if it was a support/pit monkey role. Maybe the past champ race could be that steak.

If Tamiya USA does not want to improve their chances at the worlds then so be it. Maybe they should change the worlds to Japan Nats anyway.

Everyone has their own opinion and their own ideas. Can I help it I would like to see more USA podium finishes at the worlds.

Coop
Old 11-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by minidriver
I agree that past winners of trips to Japan should not be eligible to compete for another trip. Let's spread the fun around.

This of course leaves me in the unique position of being the only North American Nationals class winner out of 36 in the last 9 years who was not allowed to compete in the World's in Japan (2003 Minis). And to top it off, according to the latest promo of TCS on Tamiya's website, they will once again be sending four winners to Japan! (At least if I am reading it correctly)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/index.html

"Now in its tenth year, the series was first started in 1995 and has thus far sent 35 National winners to compete at the Tamiya World Championships held every year in Shizuoka Japan. The Tamiya World Championships have contestants from all over the world. Drivers from the United States, Hong Kong, Europe and even Australia make their pilgrimage to the Tamiya World Finals once they have survived and conquered the best their nation has to offer.

The TCS series is a free entry event with exciting prizes and awards. The winners not only receive R/C products, but they also guarantee themselves a spot in the Tamiya North American Finals. The top ten of each class also earn themselves a spot for the Nationals. The FOUR winners of which, win an all expense paid trip to compete in the World Finals in Japan. As any of the past winners can attest, the trip to Japan along with the guided tour of Tamiya Headquarters is a once in a lifetime experience."
(My emphasis added).

So now what do I get to do? Race in GT1, GT2 or F201 and try for a trip to Japan? May I compete in Mini again at Nationals and if I would be fortunate enough to win again, this time get to go to Japan? Or since I am a Nationals winner, can I not win any of the trips to Japan, and if so, do I get to race in the past chumps race (which would be fun as well, don't get me wrong). Perhaps for 2004 they should send two for the mini class (2003 and 2004 Nationals mini winners) and see if we can give the world some stiff competition!

Seeing the World's results, with a mini world's champion, but with no North American allowed to compete this year at the World's has me bummed out!
I would think you are a "un-official" Nats winner. Officially you won the Nats but un-officially you did not goto Japan. I think you should be allowed to compete because you did not goto Japan, your slate should be clean.

You have the title but with the unfair past champ rule if you win a regional you probably will not get the prize. Going back to my other post I think the rule should allow a past champ to race and get the prize and should only be allowed to race 1 or 2 Nats classes (F201, GT1, GT2, Mini). Looks like 4 nats classes to me and I would think you get another shot to do it again.

In my opinion.

Then again these rules seem to be a US creation anyway with Japan.

Coop
Old 11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dave, I think you are still eligible, but Fred will have the final ruling. I think because you didn't get the trip is the reason you can still get prizes. Raymond won mini in 99, but since he was under 18 he wasn't allowed to go. He competed the next year, won, and won the worlds. My understanding was that Japan was killing the class, hence no mini world champion. Wasn't that your understanding?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm so confuse!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Dave, as it was discussed this year at Nats. Next year you have a choice. You can run in the past chumps OR in a Japan winning class, but not both. It is your decision.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Here is my .02 cents.
I think that the winner of the past champs race should get a trip to Japan, and be allowed to run in whatever class they want at the worlds. It gives like a second chance to the past champions and plus the team would have someone to help them when they get there in terms of what to expect from racing in Japan. Dave, is doing a lot of stuff at Tamiya America that people don't really see. Interesting stuff though, if you seen the TLT-1, guess who brainchild that idea and built the prototype out of TA04 parts, and a King Hauler. Back to this past champs thing, I would ilike to see the one year off scheme in the past champions class. Where the winner takes a year off, from the race and allow the other champs an opportunity to get their second chance. That's just my .02 cents, now back to Monster Garage, oh I mean the TV show.

Last edited by gtypecanare; 11-24-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

It was my impression throughout the year (TCS 2003) that the reason that Tamiya was only sending 3 guys to Japan this year was that Mini was no longer a World's class. I took that to mean (assumed) that there would be no Mini World Champion, that Minis wouldn't be run at Worlds. You know the saying about the word assumed (never assume, it only makes an "a**" out of "u" and "me"). I really can't explain why Tamiya USA chose to only send 3 guys, excluding mini. I am told that all of the Tamiya non Japan entities (Europe, etc) only sent 3 guys and no Mini representative. Maybe Tamiya Japan didn't want us, maybe it was financial decision, who knows? (Fred maybe?)

I raced Mini knowing full well that Tamiya was not planning on sending the 2003 USA Mini winner to Japan. It was still great fun, great competition, and as always, a very enjoyable class to run at a great event. I will continue to love to race TCS regional races, and hopefully return to CA for Nationals in August in some class. I plan on running at 2004's regional events in non-Mini classes, given that I won mini in 2003. Tamiya continues to be a great sponsor of RC Racing for the non-"professional" racer. (By the way, now that Nationals are being run in August, I am hopeful that my 11 year old son will join me this year, without missing a week of school (which his mother would never allow!).)

Obviously, Mini was a "legitimate" class at the World's this year, but this year it was the only class without competition from the rest of the world. There were 4 people up on the podium in Japan this past weekend as being the best racers of Tamiya products in the world: GT1, GT2, F201 and Mini. Guess it is kinda like what us American's do in baseball: we call it the "World Series", yet the only teams competing are from the US (and Canada, if you count the Expos (many don't, heck they can't find a home and are playing some of their games in Puerto Rico) and the Blue Jays).

If Mini remains a valid class at the Tamiya World's, then Tamiya USA should make sure that they send a North American mini driver representative to the World's in 2004. Otherwise, they should demote the class at the World's event to a spec class, kinda like TL-01 is in the US. To claim it is a World's class, yet restrict the participants only to the Japanese is not right. If I am reading the Tamiya USA promo materials correctly, in 2004 they (Tamiya USA) will be sending FOUR guys to Japan again, and I assume (there goes that word again) that they will be for a GT1, GT2, F201 and Mini class.

In any event, Mini should remain a valid class at TCS US regionals, as the 2004 rules provide. The turnout for mini is routinely one of the most well attended classes.

RC DRIVER (Gary): I never got any word from Tamiya USA (i.e. Fred) that I had a choice of running again for Japan OR running in the past champs race. All I heard (and since I was on cloud nine from winning, I might have missed it (hell, I missed him calling my name to come up for the prize!)) was that now that they were awarding me the prize of a Surikarn edition EVO III that I could return next year to compete for a possible trip to Japan with it. I will definitely have to corner Fred in February (if he comes to the Trackside regional) and get the definitive word on what I can do in TCS 2004. For now, Trackside TCS will be GT1 and F201 for me, probably TL-01 and Mini for my son (can we have a legacy here?!)
Old 11-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by minidriver

In any event, Mini should remain a valid class at TCS US regionals, as the 2004 rules provide. The turnout for mini is routinely one of the most well attended classes.

According to the rules it looks legit, mini does anyway for 2004.

I have heard from some sources that travel Aisa the Japan economy is not that good. So that could be a reason to cutting classes. At least from what people are saying they did not single out the US.

If Tamiya runs 4 classes I think you should get to run the past chimp race if you want to spend the money. You are a past champ that is caught between a rock and a grey area....

gtypecanare =>>> I think something should be done to either give past chumps another chance to goto Japan either as a babysitter or a possible contender. I think you are a little biased too..... LOL

Coop
Old 11-25-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Yup, I'm rooting for Dan, Peter, and the rest of the past champs to go back and woop on those kids that beat them. Someone needs to teach those kids to respect their elders
Old 11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think allot of you guys are selfish a-holes, I personally feel that once you win a car kit period that you shold not be eligible for another car kit. You can take the win but not the prize. Their are allot of cherry pickers out their not just the "one" everyone is talking about. And yes I have won a car kit so it would include me as someone not eligible for a kit. I think that would promote Tamiya and the Hobby the most. Give the underdogs a chance for some of the loot.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

For me I pulled out of the running at the last TCS, I was running for fun and to give set-up advice. I feel that the PC's should not take the kit and let the up and comers finance their Nats campaign with their wins and also give advice on the cars so that the others can learn.

GT I'm with ya there but Corporate doesn't see it that way oh well. I gotta give Rod a hard time when he returns getting beat by that now 13YO.

Dave the good news is you have a shot at being a double national champion now.

Coop I was not implying that the PC's are gods there are some fine drivers that have NOT won yet that would place highly at any of the National races Tamiya or not. It was more of a theoretical and why I think they (corporate)don't want to do it.

Under the rules that Fred has I know of 2 maybe 3 PC's that actually would not be eligible for TCS anyways. Of those that have won I don't think if really given the chance would go back running in the class they won or "cherrypicking". If PC did go as a Team Manager I think all of us would gladly go in that capacity.
For my own side I made sure our guys this year had as much ammunition as possible. Pete and Joven both passed on everything they had. And I spent quite a bit of time with Rod and some with Mike trying to pass on all the tire and motor info which is hugely different from what you might expect due to the carpet surface.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Rookie

May I add my two credits worth? Since money is freely being thrown about.

I have heard from a very reliable source who wishes to remain anonymous that the M-chassis class was exhibition only. This came as a surprise to those at Tamiya America; they were under the impression that there was no M class this year.

As for the question of Past Champions returning to Japan; Tamiya Inc. views this as a matter of mathematics. The U.S. population is 250+ million and counting, they see the "potential" for R/C drives being much higher than in other regions. We may never know all the factors that went into their decision; but this I do know, those gallant employees at Tamiya America have no say in this matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.