Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-13-2007, 04:56 PM
  #4696  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Since a preview of the Nats is posted, which is little more than 7 months away, I wonder if they will allow participants to run a Worlds class and another class? Althoug it may not change anything for me, just a curiosity.
Jeff I would think that Fred would not do that because of Time constraints, for the neighbor hood curfew. I think that they found in 2003 that ist made the racing last longer and it was harder to control When they let people race mini, and another class that year.
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
  #4697  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,299
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

regional racers are limited to 2 classes correct?
Core Creations is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
  #4698  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 1,660
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Ok all you LiPo experts......

Are there any performance differences between the Carbon and the Platinum? I understand that the Carbon is a 3200mAh and the Platinum 4800mAh, and that the Platinum is roughly $50 more. But what about performance (other than run time)? I was looking for weight specs, and found a few sights claiming they also weigh the same. Also, does one fit the cars better than the other?

Thanks!
minimadman2003 is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 05:19 PM
  #4699  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,299
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Dimensions 3200mAh:
Length - 137.5mm
Width - 46.7mm (17.5mm radius sides to emulate stick pack shape)
Height - 23mm (20.5mm height between bumps)
Weight - 198g (6.6 oz.)

Dimensions 4800mAh:
Length - 137.5mm
Width - 45mm
Height - 23mm
Weight - 258g (9.1 oz.)


I have both and don't feel any advantage over each other.
Core Creations is offline  
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
  #4700  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Ok all you LiPo experts......

Are there any performance differences between the Carbon and the Platinum? I understand that the Carbon is a 3200mAh and the Platinum 4800mAh, and that the Platinum is roughly $50 more. But what about performance (other than run time)? I was looking for weight specs, and found a few sights claiming they also weigh the same. Also, does one fit the cars better than the other?

Thanks!
in my personal experience. there are no performance differences that i felt between the 4800 and 3200. i used the 4800 at the KO Propo GP since it was heavier, i had to add less weight to the car to make minimum.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
  #4701  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Jeff I would think that Fred would not do that because of Time constraints, for the neighbor hood curfew. I think that they found in 2003 that ist made the racing last longer and it was harder to control When they let people race mini, and another class that year.
They do run off a schedule and know what kind of time constraints they are up against and where the last race ends. It might be worth a thought have class entry limits on non-Worlds classes and give priority to 1 people entries vs 2. I never ran 2 classes at the nats, although sometimes I wish I could.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 10:09 AM
  #4702  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

What kind of runtime have you guys been getting with what chassis and motors?
A-Ko is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM
  #4703  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

My question about the LiPos would be:

Since the Orion packs are made in conjunction with Kokam, would there be any consideration to making the equivelent Kokam packs be legal as well?
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
  #4704  
Tech Master
 
rchoudini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kent, Wa,
Posts: 1,813
Default

Just so everyone can plan we will be running the Tamtech class at Regionals so bring your Frog's, desert gators and the rest.
rchoudini is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 PM
  #4705  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,299
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

I wish we were able to run the 3200 lipo in mini..I use about 600 mah in a 5 minute race! In 4300/foam with my TA05 I use about 1950mah with the 4800 lipo!
Originally Posted by A-Ko
What kind of runtime have you guys been getting with what chassis and motors?
Core Creations is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 02:21 PM
  #4706  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I wish we were able to run the 3200 lipo in mini..I use about 600 mah in a 5 minute race! In 4300/foam with my TA05 I use about 1950mah with the 4800 lipo!
Wow thats pretty cool. With your TA05 was that with stock 27t or a 19t?

That could be really cool with mini. Just charge once and good to go for the day.

Do the packs fall off much, heat up or need to rest for next charge?
A-Ko is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
  #4707  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (110)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 6,299
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

It's running 4300 brushless foam on carpet...almost as much amps as mod. The batteries in the TA05 come off at 90-95 degrees and go right back on the charger, no break. I've used it this way for a long time with no ill effects. They don't fall off at all...not even a little.

In the mini the pack comes off at room temp. We've pondered charging once and running all day, but just choose to repeak. They are the best thing since sliced bread, period!
Originally Posted by A-Ko
Wow thats pretty cool. With your TA05 was that with stock 27t or a 19t?

That could be really cool with mini. Just charge once and good to go for the day.

Do the packs fall off much, heat up or need to rest for next charge?
Core Creations is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
  #4708  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
My question about the LiPos would be:

Since the Orion packs are made in conjunction with Kokam, would there be any consideration to making the equivelent Kokam packs be legal as well?
Silly question Mayo, only Orion would give Fred a kickback.

Just kiding Fred, just kiding.

Derf
C_O_jones is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 09:02 PM
  #4709  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
My question about the LiPos would be:

Since the Orion packs are made in conjunction with Kokam, would there be any consideration to making the equivelent Kokam packs be legal as well?
Are Kokam in a case?
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 PM
  #4710  
AWK
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,021
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I didn't see any rules on it, so should we assume the body rule is gone? I actually really liked that rule from last season! Nice seeing people in GT2 and GT3 not running all NSXs for a change.
AWK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.