Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM
  #4636  
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
....Silver or Black..

Which is faster?
Which seems to be the 'choice'?



What is this elusive 'four hole' can i have heard about?

-O
Black is faster but isn't a "stock" silvercan either so it doesn't really count. The 4-hole is an old Mabuchi motor and they're supposed to have a LOT more RPM than the normal 2-hole Johnson silvercan. I've never had any of them so I can't say from personal experience if they are. The choice is basically to buy a LOT of stock Johnson silvercans, break them in and put them on a dyno and pick the best...sell the rest. It's really the only way.
muahdib4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM
  #4637  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
....Silver or Black..

Which is faster?
Which seems to be the 'choice'?



What is this elusive 'four hole' can i have heard about?

-O
black can is faster.. but burns up quickly. there's a johnson and mabuchi silver can. johnson is faster. the older "4 hole" ones are faster then the recent 2 hole. but depending on who you ask... it all varies "depending" on how you break it in.

what works in mini generally never works in touring car (mini require less torque) and what works in touring car isnt fast enough in a mini.

i could reveal more... but then i would have to kill you. there isnt any open memberships right now in the inner circle of silver can tuners club.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
  #4638  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (44)
 
tomdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Coo.. whip
Posts: 3,125
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

So Hebiki are you a goldmember of the silvercan club?
tomdav is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
  #4639  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

interesting...



and what does this 'four hole' can look like exactly... where are the four holes?? on the can? endbell?



-O
OSherman is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
  #4640  
Tech Adept
 
crunchracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEAM POWERSTRIP
Posts: 192
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
interesting...



and what does this 'four hole' can look like exactly... where are the four holes?? on the can? endbell?



-O
In the can, hard to find, unless you get lucky. Honestly buy some new 540J, break them in , check them for the atributes you need, and pick what you want to keep dump the rest.
crunchracer is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
  #4641  
Tech Adept
 
crunchracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEAM POWERSTRIP
Posts: 192
Talking

Originally Posted by Hebiki
black can is faster.. but burns up quickly. there's a johnson and mabuchi silver can. johnson is faster. the older "4 hole" ones are faster then the recent 2 hole. but depending on who you ask... it all varies "depending" on how you break it in.

what works in mini generally never works in touring car (mini require less torque) and what works in touring car isnt fast enough in a mini.

i could reveal more... but then i would have to kill you. there isnt any open memberships right now in the inner circle of silver can tuners club.
Bad Boy, you got close to revealing to much info
crunchracer is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
  #4642  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,901
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

ahhh yes, the continued TCS silver can madness...buy many...race few
madjack is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
  #4643  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,269
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
I got my daughter a TT-01R to run in the Spec class; but is it legal?

It came with the legal hop ups, but the stock pinion is a 22T and the stock motor is a 25 turn. I assume I need to get the 19T pinion (see rules) and run a silver can. Other than that is it legal?
As the spec rules have not changed over the years I would think the TT01R is not legal for spec.

For the spec class the car has to be box stock (Basic kit) The only hopups you are allowed to have are bearings, Plastic oil filled shocks and the Aluminum propeler shaft. You also have to run the kit 26mm tires and wheels. It will cost you more to dumb down the TT01R than it will cost you to buy a whole new kit. I just bought my son a new TT01 to replace his old spec car. it was 79.99 on Tower (the 2004 Subaru impreza). You will need to ad bearings and the plastic oil filled shocks.
f1larry is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
  #4644  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Black is faster but isn't a "stock" silvercan either so it doesn't really count. The 4-hole is an old Mabuchi motor and they're supposed to have a LOT more RPM than the normal 2-hole Johnson silvercan. I've never had any of them so I can't say from personal experience if they are. The choice is basically to buy a LOT of stock Johnson silvercans, break them in and put them on a dyno and pick the best...sell the rest. It's really the only way.
I need to correct you here, the older 4 hole cans are Johnson motors, atleaset the good ones.
I have never found a Mabuchi I have gotten to perform as well as I can get the Johnsons to perform.
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM
  #4645  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (44)
 
tomdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Coo.. whip
Posts: 3,125
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

So for the experts out there, are the older Johnsons faster than the newer ones? Why does Tamiya still allow racers to use something that is not available to everyone.


Ok for those in the know what are the odds of lipo rules for mini or 103gt?

Last edited by tomdav; 01-09-2007 at 07:05 PM.
tomdav is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM
  #4646  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default TT01R

Originally Posted by f1larry
For the spec class the car has to be box stock (Basic kit) The only hopups you are allowed to have are bearings, Plastic oil filled shocks and the Aluminum propeler shaft.

You forgot to mention turnbuckle steering tierods and adjustable arms.

I could be wrong, but around 40 bucks gets the car he already has to 06' specs.
blewer is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
  #4647  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
KAHUNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ~ Stuck in ~ Maryland ~ For Now
Posts: 2,438
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by blewer
You forgot to mention turnbuckle steering tierods and adjustable arms.

I could be wrong, but around 40 bucks gets the car he already has to 06' specs.
I could be wrong but your never wrong !
Don't tell all your scerets !
KAHUNA is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
  #4648  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by tomdav
So for the experts out there, are the older Johnsons faster than the newer ones? Why does Tamiya still allow racers to use something that is not available to everyone.


Ok for those in the know what are the odds of lipo rules for mini or 103t?
Lipos for F103GT, I doubt it.
The 4 hole Johnsons are faster than the current ones, but they are better when tuned. and tuning them, makes them better in 2WD car cause you loose torque.
tamiyarcracer is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
  #4649  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,901
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tomdav


Ok for those in the know what are the odds of lipo rules for mini or 103gt?
.
madjack is offline  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
  #4650  
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Default

Originally Posted by madjack
.
Cat got your tongue John??
tamiyarcracer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.