Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The more testing and racing I am doing I am finding that for carpet, it is almost a necessity to run a firm insert. The soft inserts allow the car to wiggle around and the car almost always feels loose. I am working on a parts list for you should be up momentarily
Old 12-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Here we go
F103 GT conversion (from F103 F1 chassis)
51242- B Parts
51229- T Parts ( may need 2, I can't remember how they were packaged)
51227- R Parts
51232- Rear wheel Mount L
51231- Rear wheel Mount R
51233- Diff Joint
51088- Urethane Bumper
4005112- Chassis Plate
4025043- Upper Deck( if you dont have one already
9400389- Shaft Bag ( has the front axles and the longer king pins for the front suspension
Instruction manual can be downloaded in PDF format from Tamiya site
Old 12-16-2006, 11:45 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

In the Jan. 2007 issue of "RC Driver" magazine they have a test drive of the F103gt. They ran the kit with a Mabuchi 540, graphite chassis, optional motor mount, and stock 26mm tires. You may want to take a look at the article, if you haven't seen it. They clocked it at over 28mph with the 540. There were some handling issues and they tested it outside.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have also made the commitment to F103GT next year. I've got one all ready to go, and another to build up as an experimental spare. I may take them up to my nearest carpet track (Nashville) for some testing in January.

It would be a shame to run this pre-painted Courage body, so I will hold off until my clear body gets here next week. That's about the only part my LHS can get for these cars! Everything else is coming from Asia. I sure wish Tamiya and the big two distributors would work together. My LHS doesn't have enough Tamiya orders to justify buying direct, so I'm stuck buying off the internet.

I've made my first move towards the TCS 2007 season.......Tickets are booked for Trackside! Are there "TCS" room rates available yet? This will be my first Trackside experience, but I hear its a heck of a show. Can't wait to be a part of it.

After that, we'll be enjoying some Memphis BBQ, and possibly swinging up to our Nation's Capital in July for an educational family trip (oh, you say there's a TCS race nearby?).

BRING ON THE RULES! I'm ready for just about anything, as long as we still run Tamiya kits.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've been running my F103GT with A's and Tamiya soft inserts, and it's been really hooked up. The A's and Tam. medium inserts felt about the same. If anything, the chassis has been too hooked up, I can't seem to ever get the T-plate stiff enough for carpet. I'm sure when I run outdoors it'll be another story. Unlike the guys I race with, I'm running only Tamiya rubber - not RP's. The RP30's are a faster tire on carpet.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I've made my first move towards the TCS 2007 season.......Tickets are booked for Trackside! Are there "TCS" room rates available yet? This will be my first Trackside experience, but I hear its a heck of a show. Can't wait to be a part of it.
Minimadman! Great to hear a new guy from a different state will be here to join us! Are you from the Memphis area? A bunch of us from here were down therein 2003 and 2004. Or was it 04 and 05? We had a great time there and met some great guys! The hotel of choice for us is:
The Hampton Inn (414)-466-8881
Make sure to say it's for Trackside to get a discount.I'm not sure what the discount is, but that's where everyone stays for the Novak race too. It's about 2miles north of us right off the highway. We usually do a big order of stuff before the race so if there is any thing you may want,let me know!
Can't wait for then!
Mike
Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bill-
If you're coming solo I have a room booked at the Courtyard for Friday and Saturday night & we can split if you are so inclined. It's south of Trackside about the same distance as the Hampton. If you're bringing the family, the Hampton is a good option...free breakfast!!

Glad to hear you're jumping on the 103 bandwagon.

Later
Doc
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

MoshMike,
I'm from Alabama, but I'm sure we Alabamians and Tennesseans sound alike to you Yanks!

Doc,
Sounds like a plan. I'm flying solo, so I'll drop you an email.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Here we go
F103 GT conversion (from F103 F1 chassis)
51242- B Parts
51229- T Parts ( may need 2, I can't remember how they were packaged)
51227- R Parts
51232- Rear wheel Mount L
51231- Rear wheel Mount R
51233- Diff Joint
51088- Urethane Bumper
4005112- Chassis Plate
4025043- Upper Deck( if you dont have one already
9400389- Shaft Bag ( has the front axles and the longer king pins for the front suspension
Instruction manual can be downloaded in PDF format from Tamiya site
BP Shadow -
I think that can get me started and cheaply. Thank you for generating a list. I am sure old F103ers will follow their temptation and build the car.
If I like it then might be a temptation for the TCS races as well as 07 parkinlot races. I like the less maintenance aspect to it.

MushMushMike -
My only plans are to come up for March unless the Polar Express picks me up.
I know one year I followed temptation and went up for a day of Novak race watching, you never know, Kopps has a strong pull in my family. . .

Minimadman2003 -
Cool your coming up. Just forget about the fish this time around.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

I will be flying into Milwaukee on 3/1/06 and be ready to practice on Friday.
Bruce and I will have to be on the top of our game with the TA05 to be competitive with the Local Trackside Proffessionals. I understand that new Ozite Carpet has been layed down @ Scotty's and it is ultra fast!!

I hate to say that it looks pretty grim for the Frederick and Cinci Races this year for TCS? It appears that the 1st TCS race will be Trackside.
We will start testing the F103GT's soon, sure will be neat to get back to those F103 parts. I never got rid of all my parts, I still have F103 F1 kits still in the shrink wrap Lotus 107, Ferrari 412, Sauber, Benetton.

Can't wait to smell those "Brats" from Snackside and then a emergencey trip to Crapside.
SH.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A-Ko
BP Shadow -
I think that can get me started and cheaply. Thank you for generating a list. I am sure old F103ers will follow their temptation and build the car.
If I like it then might be a temptation for the TCS races as well as 07 parkinlot races. I like the less maintenance aspect to it.
No problem, anything to help a fellow racer in need. I like the low maintenance aspects as well. My goal is to go to a TCS race and not have to worry about motors. Twice last year in F1 I had a shot to at least compete for the win and my motors cost me the race. Happened at Cinci and Scotty's, I had never had a problem with the Reedy 19's until then. Looks like I will be running GT3 and 103GT this year, providing it is a class. Now if we can get them to make Lipos legal I could leave all the battery crap at home too!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys... i'm just new in racing... i have a tt01r kit... may i know which hopups and setup i need??? especially with gearing... thanks in advance...
Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grandmasteralok
Hi guys... i'm just new in racing... i have a tt01r kit... may i know which hopups and setup i need??? especially with gearing... thanks in advance...
I think you can get help here, but you need to give more info. What surface are you running on, what motor are you running, sweeping, open track?, or tight and technical?
I will give you a baseline setup that I run on most Tamiya chassis and you can adjust from there.
Front-
40wt Shock oil
2 hole pistons
Medium or Firm springs
Shock mounted as far outboard as you can TOP and BOTTOM
2.0-2.5 Degrees of Negative camber ( tops of wheels tipping in)
Medium or firm swaybar (if you have them)
Rear-
30wt Shock oil
3 hole pistons
Medium or Soft springs
1.5-2.0 Degrees of negative camber (spring for a camber gauge if you dont have one,you will get alot of use out of it)
Shock mounted as far outboard as you can TOP and BOTTOM
No swaybar on the rear
As far as the springs, I would start with mediums all the way around and see how it works, then you can go up or down.
I dont know what to tell you on tires and inserts, because I dont know what surface you are running on.
As far as hop ups, I dont know anything about this particular car or what is available. I will assume if it is an R version that it has some hopups already include with the kit.
Good Luck
Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Grandmasteralok -
Using the optional spur gears with different pinions can make a big difference.
The spurs are not easy to find. You may have to get them off the Tamiya site. The optional aluminum shaft is a must for any motor other than the 540, because the stock shaft will warp. You can go to the Tamiya site and see other options like the adjustable arms and turnbuckles, ball diffs, a one way diff, aluminum steering, cvd's, aluminum motor mount, etc. I am sure you thought of bearings.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
No problem, anything to help a fellow racer in need. I like the low maintenance aspects as well. My goal is to go to a TCS race and not have to worry about motors. Twice last year in F1 I had a shot to at least compete for the win and my motors cost me the race. Happened at Cinci and Scotty's, I had never had a problem with the Reedy 19's until then. Looks like I will be running GT3 and 103GT this year, providing it is a class. Now if we can get them to make Lipos legal I could leave all the battery crap at home too!
I have been spoiled by the low maintenance of the GT3 motors. I ran all summer and currently now all winter on the same motor. Just clean and go. Wasn't trying to prove anything just was curious how long the motor would last. Makes me want to try another class or two for next year with the low maintenance mabuchi. Not sure how it will all shake out, could be fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.