Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wouldnt say that it is "box stock". I carried over some technology from the end of the F103 dynasty( probably the greatest dynasty in TCS history) but it is all Tamiya and hopefully all TCS legal. I am building a second chassis for comparison, this one almost to kit spec. FYI if you dont have the scratch for the whole kit, convert your old F1 chassis. The parts needed to do the conversion are under $50 and more than likely you already have race rubber. I bought enough pieces(including a graphite chassis and a stock chassis plate) for around $80 from a guy in Singapore. I am trying to thin down the amount of RC stuff that I have, mainly because I am tired of reorganizing all the time. I spend almost as much time straightening the shop as I do working on the cars, and guess what? it's still a mess.What was the point of that rant? Well I didnt want to buy any more new kits, so I recycled a couple of the old 103's for their hopups and put them back to stock
Old 12-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sure would like to see some rules.
Sure would buy a 103GT if I knew what the 2007 rules were.
Sure can understand why someone who's out of work would hesitate to buy a new chassis.
Sure do have a lot of patience but Christmas is almost here and my wife keeps asking me what R/C stuff I'd like to see under the tree.
Sure wish that Frederick and Cincy were on the schedule.
Sure would like to see some rules.....
Old 12-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Sure would like to see some rules.
Sure would buy a 103GT if I knew what the 2007 rules were.
Sure can understand why someone who's out of work would hesitate to buy a new chassis.
Sure do have a lot of patience but Christmas is almost here and my wife keeps asking me what R/C stuff I'd like to see under the tree.
Sure wish that Frederick and Cincy were on the schedule.
Sure would like to see some rules.....
Lets see, Doc Mertes is one of the most mild mannered guys I know, and even he's getting irked with the big T hmmmmmmmmmmm. I went ahead and did the 103GT's , because regardless of what the classes turn out to be for 07 we will be racing these instead of 201's, so I figured I would get the jump on next outdoor season.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:56 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I believe the F103gt is part of the Canadian TCS, so I guess you can assume it will be part of the U.S. TCS. The basic rolling chassis of the F103gt goes for about $109.99 whereve you look, and that's reasonable. Are all the cheaper sources on the internet in Asia?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I wouldnt say that it is "box stock". I carried over some technology from the end of the F103 dynasty( probably the greatest dynasty in TCS history) but it is all Tamiya and hopefully all TCS legal. I am building a second chassis for comparison, this one almost to kit spec. FYI if you dont have the scratch for the whole kit, convert your old F1 chassis. The parts needed to do the conversion are under $50 and more than likely you already have race rubber. I bought enough pieces(including a graphite chassis and a stock chassis plate) for around $80 from a guy in Singapore. I am trying to thin down the amount of RC stuff that I have, mainly because I am tired of reorganizing all the time. I spend almost as much time straightening the shop as I do working on the cars, and guess what? it's still a mess.What was the point of that rant? Well I didnt want to buy any more new kits, so I recycled a couple of the old 103's for their hopups and put them back to stock
I tend to agree about the F103.
I liked it best with foam tires although the front white steering parts seemed brittle... I know don't hit anything... Usually I would just rub the turn, the tire would catch and snap.
I did not mind the rubber tires too much either although the front rims bearing housing was fragile also.
Yeah $50 is very tempting, depending on the rules, tac on another mid to high $30 body kit or just buy the car. Right now $50 is easier to swallow. Kinda my cunundrum. Although I could race it now and further piss off people locally, especially with foamies.
Are you still running blue Tamiya inserts and did you throw on the S chassis plate?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
$109.99 whereve you look, and that's reasonable. Are all the cheaper sources on the internet in Asia?
Is that with shipping?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:09 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

A-ko, that does not include shipping. I think Southeast RC had it for $104.99 plus shipping. But, I haven't check it recently.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Jeff,
We are running the RP30 premounts, I'm told that they are close to A's in terms of traction. I ran the S t-plate with the ball mount rear suspension the first night and the car was a handful. The second night I raced I went back to the o-ring (read stock) suspension and the stock t-plate and the car was alot better. I have a few more combos to try, such as the stock chassis plate with the upper deck and a couple of other things
Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Were you able to try the stiffer springs on the rear friction pads with the ball suspension and S plate?
In a way I wish the plate had adjustment screws like the old 10L had. Although I you can sorta resemble that with the 2 screws tightness.
I wonder if they will ever have a new pod with the newer 3 shock suspension setup that some of the pancars have...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

I need to look, but I think I was running the stiffer of the two. I will tell you that with the GT setup the car is sensitive to the dampener plates or more specifically what is on them. Medium viscosity lube seems to work nice. Started out stiffest in the front springs, but have since gone to mediums for less push. The old "Days of Thunder" concepts are definitely at work here.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Well at least it is not "Mission Impossible" . . .

Have you messed with any Sedan bodies yet. By the way how are the mounts for mounting sedan bodies?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Well at least it is not "Mission Impossible" . . .

Have you messed with any Sedan bodies yet. By the way how are the mounts for mounting sedan bodies?
I have been running the Tamiya Corvette on the car as I dont have a Courage yet (clear body should be arriving this week). I will tell you right off the bat that anything but the Courage is a solid lap slower over 5 minutes. The Corvette was 2 laps slower. Dish ran the old Nissan R390 and I think he was a lap down to the Courage at the buzzer. The body mounts are fine, actually the fronts line up perfectly with the TA05 , so all you relly need to do is punch 2 holes in the roof for the rears.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Do you happen to have the list of part numbers for conversion?
I would assume you need front body posts if converting from Lemans?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Jeff! I know we have the 103gt at Trackside for 109.99 and we have the parts to convert to old to the new103 hoping the Marty's of the area would get into it. Do you make it up here at all? We can help.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
We are running the RP30 premounts, I'm told that they are close to A's in terms of traction.
I wouldn't say close Last week, I ran Type A's with Xenon Orange insert (super soft?) and it was doughnut city in the turns...that is if it doesn't dart off somewhere before entering the turn. HURTING! I immediately pulled off, threw on a set of very worn RP's and it was instantly dialed (or atleast somewhat close). Perhaps I had the wrong insert/setup for A's but boy, the car with those tires was a steaming pile and a moving travesty (sp?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.