Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I believe that the Peak/Orion 3200 is what we are talking about here. As far as I know these are not as volatile as the older gen lipo packs. If I understand correctly, the lipos prone to fire/explosion have magnesium as part of their chemistry.
Originally Posted by radar
"So give me the downside again?" (BP SHADOW)
how bout FIRE !!!!!

Ever see a lipo blow in a car after a T'bone impact? TOTAL loss of everything. It's like fireworks gone bad. Fun to watch, bad for the owner of the car and indoor carpet.

The Peak/Orion lipo packs come in a plastic protective case. A bit heavy, but alot safer. Do you think Tamiya will mandate encased lipo if they allow them?

Radar... Ping...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radar
"So give me the downside again?" (BP SHADOW)
how bout FIRE !!!!!

Ever see a lipo blow in a car after a T'bone impact? TOTAL loss of everything. It's like fireworks gone bad. Fun to watch, bad for the owner of the car and indoor carpet.

The Peak/Orion lipo packs come in a plastic protective case. A bit heavy, but alot safer. Do you think Tamiya will mandate encased lipo if they allow them?

Radar... Ping...
If Tamiya does allow lipo, it will probably be a retail brand like Orion / Peak in a case. They may also require a "battery bunker" to have the packs in when charging like they did at the KO at the Tamiya track earlier this year. There was a lot of complaints about big and bulky containers to stick the batery in during charging in case it does pop and catch fire, but I also saw some that literally are the size of a padded envelope. Just takes some looking to see if they do and will take up less space than the discharges, equalizing trays, and all the batteries you would have to carry instead.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
yup.. made the transition for the KO GP because i knew i wouldnt be racing as much. team orion avionics charger is $65...and the teamorion 3200 spec lipo was $75.

i just charge and go. i definitely have less equipment on my pit table.
Hebiki,
How much run time do you get on a full charge, say running an F103GT /Mabuchi combo?
I have heard 1 charge would get me through practice, qualifying, and need a top off for the mains. Can you confirm?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I heard there have been some changes in Memphis, specifically within MSRA and the folks who are running it. My understanding is that Jason Lutz -who was the race director and general organizer of the Memphis TCS- has been tossed out. We all know it takes a bunch of people to run an event, but Jason seemed to be the leader and got stuff done.

Don't know who's going to run the 2007 event at this point, but have also been told that a number of guys who have attended this event the past two years have now decided not to come. Anybody know anything about this? I don't want to spend the $ to fly down there for the weekened and be disappointed....
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
I heard there have been some changes in Memphis, specifically within MSRA and the folks who are running it. My understanding is that Jason Lutz -who was the race director and general organizer of the Memphis TCS- has been tossed out. We all know it takes a bunch of people to run an event, but Jason seemed to be the leader and got stuff done.

Don't know who's going to run the 2007 event at this point, but have also been told that a number of guys who have attended this event the past two years have now decided not to come. Anybody know anything about this? I don't want to spend the $ to fly down there for the weekened and be disappointed....
That is correct Doc. Hopefully this can be worked out and we are in the process of working it out now, I will let you know if and when anything changes.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Doc,
The Alabama gang still plans to show up in force. We have recruited several new faces for the TCS event, so hopefully we'll be bringing minis, F103s, and a few GT1/GT2/GT3 guys. It's a drive for us, so our plans are flexible. I can understand your hesitation booking tickets.

I hope MSRA gets everything pulled together before April. They built a large class of minis down there for their club events after the last TCS, so the mini class should be strong. I'm confident they'll put on another good show for us (and rumor has it they may have BBQ at the track this year!).
Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hmmm, a laurel parking lot in july...sheesh thought they made a good move in goin to the fall. eck. gonna watch people go thru some of those expensive (but no grip) tamiya tires.

Ult
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Hebiki,
How much run time do you get on a full charge, say running an F103GT /Mabuchi combo?
I have heard 1 charge would get me through practice, qualifying, and need a top off for the mains. Can you confirm?

Brad, I recently ran an enduro in SLC with F103gt's decked out in Porsche Cup trim with foam tires, silver can motors. I ran peak 4800's and averaged 32 min per pack. I have not tried the 3200's, but don't worry about charging. Just pull 'em off the track and stick 'em back on the charger. I have a couple of 4800 packs with over 50 charges on them and they're still at the same voltage as new, and within 5% of their original capacity-- and NO MAINTENANCE!!!

Simply put, these things are awesome.

bruce
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
hmmm, a laurel parking lot in july...sheesh thought they made a good move in goin to the fall. eck. gonna watch people go thru some of those expensive (but no grip) tamiya tires.

Ult
Actually the tires last longer than you think... IF you have the right type ( Bs ).
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Will the F201 still be able to be run in a class?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GroffBall
Will the F201 still be able to be run in a class?
201 has been dead for a while now. They didnt even run it at the Nats this year due to lack of interest
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Hebiki,

Originally Posted by Doc
Brad, I recently ran an enduro in SLC with F103gt's decked out in Porsche Cup trim with foam tires, silver can motors. I ran peak 4800's and averaged 32 min per pack. I have not tried the 3200's, but don't worry about charging. Just pull 'em off the track and stick 'em back on the charger. I have a couple of 4800 packs with over 50 charges on them and they're still at the same voltage as new, and within 5% of their original capacity-- and NO MAINTENANCE!!!

Simply put, these things are awesome.

bruce
our 3200s lasted 15 mins at the last enduro. that was with a novak 6.5 brushless

so silver can + 3200 = forever. id say 20 mins easy.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
B3x
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Hebiki

You have my vote for lipo F103GT or else at TCS.
Lipo has to be one of the best thing going for our hobby today.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Unhappy

my girl friend made me take out the comment about your choices

Last edited by radar; 12-13-2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I was mean
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Laurel's not soo bad for TCS. Just be sure to have some shade if it's not raining hehe. I ran B3's for GT1 and GT2. First run in GT2.. second run in GT1. Setup on the TA05 had a slight push. TQ'd and won GT2 and finished 2nd in GT1. Tires cost as much as any other tire on the market if you shop around.

Sucks that there is no Ohio. I was actually planning on goin to this one. Would loved to have seen Frederick, MD again as well. I guess only 1 race for me next year. Maybe I'll go to the Memphis race. Is this outdoor or indoor? We tried to put in for a race here in NC. But I guess nothing happened. Hate to see such a short schedule next year. I was hoping to hit up 3 or 4 races....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.